Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I met a neat group that's living it.

As you say - they are doing it on private land where they have permission to be there - great - they are living the lifestyle they want to live and bothering nobody.

I do not have a desire to live that way. I also do not equate dumpster diving as "taking skills up a notch".

To each their own - not my cup of tea though.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just fyi there tres, black bear attacks are more frequent than other bears. Dont underestimate them. Racoons are cute toobut they'll jack you up. Wild animals are just that. But that situation you described is pretty interesting. Sounds like some of the communes in the northwest and southwest started in the '60's and later.
    "The sky's blue, water's wet, and sh&t happens." Bruce Willis The Last Boy Scout

"I come in peace. I didnt bring artillery. I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes. If you F*#& with me. I'll kill you all."
    USMC Gen. James Mattis to Iraqi tribal leaders

Sounds like a commune to me, nothing wrong with that, have friends that did that for a while, getting "back to the land" and all.

Not my desired way to live any longer....but hey, sounds like a match to me from what you have stated here.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Well I sure wouldn't mind living off the grid, but if I did, I would have hot running water, power, air conditioning, and all the nicety's of modern man. I dont mind roughing it if I have to, and do like a primitive camping trip, but if I dont have to live like that, I wont!
    I have had thought of selling this place someday and moving to a simple area and building a totally self sufficient cabin just to get out of the rat race!

I think the thing is we actually -do- have to live like that: if we all keep living like we do at the moment, the Earth is going to perish. Or at least, that's my vision of the thing.

I think we think alike Payne. At out current rate of consumption, we are exceeding the long term carrying capacity of the Earth.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Glad to find people not calling me a dirty hippy for actually being rational and wishing only good to humanity. =/

Are you implying that those that do not agree with you are not rational?

Just kidding - everybody is certainly entitled to believe what they want.....even if they are wrong.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash my friend I'd agree with you with you because I like you, but then we'd both be wrong, you know??

; ]
    Thanks,
    Tres

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Are you implying that those that do not agree with you are not rational?

Just kidding - everybody is certainly entitled to believe what they want.....even if they are wrong.
    I guess you're right: I was missing the words "trying to be" in front of "rational".

While we consume/waste more in todays 1st world countries inproportionally to the rest of the world. The big problem is unsustainable population especially in 2nd and 3rd world countries. Going primal is not a simple solution. Lack of food, proper/healthy heating and cooking, water and waste treatment are the main issues along with the human variant. Humans as a whole suck we are a scared herd animal. It only takes a small # tomess it up. The arrogance of humans that we can destroy the earth. We may make unlivable for a relativley short period of time and wipe ourselves out but until the sun goes nova the planet will be around a long while.
    "The sky's blue, water's wet, and sh&t happens." Bruce Willis The Last Boy Scout

"I come in peace. I didnt bring artillery. I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes. If you F*#& with me. I'll kill you all."
    USMC Gen. James Mattis to Iraqi tribal leaders

Banned
    Blog Entries

The Earth will take care of it's self. Humans are the Cancer multiplying and destroying the earth. Mankind will do NOTHING to change our gluttonous behavior, and as a result about two billion human thingies will die. No big deal, it just going to stink for a while.

Well I think mother earth is going to even the odds someday. It seems shae has already started in some cases. We think we are the rulers of the earth, and do not realize just how fragile we are. Just a lack of fresh water can take us out!

You guys all say the same thing. We humans are going to cause a situation to where we can no longer exist on our home. Generally speaking for a long while anyways. Yes?
    Thanks,
    Tres

. . . . . . Yes.

Well aside from one grand.. um... "religious event" I am not supposed to go into, I agree as well.
    Thanks,
    Tres

I don't. I do think we've made a terrible mess of things but we are learning from our mistakes albeit slowly. 35% of all aluminum used in the U.S. is recycled and 75% of aluminum produced since 1888 is still in use today*. We produce more food today than at any time in human history. We have cleaner water and air today than even a decade ago. We have more forested land and land set aside as protected wilderness than ever before. Mining reclamation laws mandate that the land be reclaimed and not just left as a scar on the planet. Pesticides and other dangerous chemicals to man and wildlife have been banned and/or strictly regulated. More and more renewable energy sources are being added every year in terms of wind farm generation and electric hybrid vehicles. We have a long way to go for sure but our future isn't as bleak as some of you predict.

Famine has always been a part of the human condition and probably always will be the our ability to positively impact starvation has made great strides over the last half century and the regions impacted today are much smaller than in decades past and driven more by localized corruption than our inability to actually feed those impacted.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_recycling
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

All the improvements we're implementing are but a band aid on a chest wound of environmental abuse.
    We're protecting more than we used to but we're also destroying faster than we used to; and a surprising number of people are advocating for their right to do so. Even right here on WSF.

I'm thinking that most all of y'all are correct to a point.....but rather than wailing "whoa, is me" at the wall....I believe that some one or a bunch of someones with good ideas and greed will find a way to turn it ito profit for them selves, either in money, power and way of life change for the rest of us....seems that that is the way history worked.

Waving flags, chanting, and making demands..... won't do it.....the "work" begins with each of us.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I agree whole heartedly Hunter.

And there's advantage & disadvantage to a lot of things. I wish no one harm. But If I look up one day and discover that I live on planet that is now only half as populated as it once was- that would have to seem awful roomy!
    Thanks,
    Tres