Thread: Built a new stall / Runnin

Default Built a new stall / Runnin

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Re-purposed alot of old wood.

Pulled a night shift!

Almost done, just a little more to go!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Banned
    Blog Entries

Is that treated timber.....???

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Is that treated timber.....???
    Yes it is, and I am aware of the dangers of arsenic. Treated lumber is now treated with copper not arsenic. There is some older material that may contain arsenic but the animals will not have access to it. Also being a run in and not really where I will pin an animal up, cribbing shouldn't be an issue. That may not be what you were getting at?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

nice looking stall, now if a fella didn't have horses it looks like it would be a great place to set up a forge and such. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    nice looking stall, now if a fella didn't have horses it looks like it would be a great place to set up a forge and such. LOL
    You got me! Yes, my horses now have nicer spot in the shade than I do. Well actually a horse and a bull spend their time in this pasture. Down here it isn't so much about keeping them warm as it is keeping them cool.

You will have to do a little more explaining for those of us who are non-horse people, but wish we were and have to live through your pictures. What is the stall used for? I am guessing shade. Why is the stall better than just putting up a roof? It looks great, by the way. You have great craftsman skills.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    You will have to do a little more explaining for those of us who are non-horse people, but wish we were and have to live through your pictures. What is the stall used for? I am guessing shade. Why is the stall better than just putting up a roof? It looks great, by the way. You have great craftsman skills.
    It is a requirement that horses and other livestock have shelter. A stall will typically be used to enclose an animal such as a horse. Whereas a run in allows the animals to come and go as they please. Typically the requirement is 3 sides and a roof for shelter. Not that I agree with the requirement, but it is the requirement. The reason the top sides are open is two fold. I needed to meet the requirement and also was short on material and funds to buy material. The sides offer some protection from the wind. My experience is that stall kept horses are cold natured and will shiver when it isn't even cold. Where as a pasture kept horse will never shiver. Again my experience in the climate here. I would not choose to stall a horse. I much prefer them in the pasture and they seem to agree with me. Thanks for the compliment.

Thanks for the explanation. I dream of getting horses some day. My daughter wants one more than me, though. We will probably be able to get some when she gets married and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. I dream of getting horses some day. My daughter wants one more than me, though. We will probably be able to get some when she gets married and leaves.
    Best advice I have for you is get your property set up first before you have animals. I have been behind the 8 ball the whole way. I had horses I was already paying someone to board when I started this adventure 4 yrs. ago.

Well, I told my daughter that she can have a horse, if she buys the land and a few years worth of feed, and then pays for the horse. I then remind her every time she spends her money on something that she will never get a horse at this rate.