Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: survival with your dog(s)?

Default survival with your dog(s)?

Does anybody use their dog as an aid in survival training such as hunting, carrying packs, defense, or just companionship for when your all alone?

I've got a catahoula/pit mix thats 1 1/2 yrs old and right around 55lbs. I'm looking for a good pack that can evenly distribute some (but not much) weight, but it also cant be of a cheap design that will rub his skin raw or be too uncomfortable or restrict his natural movement. anyone have any ideas?

Blog Entries

Well, a hunting aid, companion and camp protection are the obvious things a dog can do well. depending of it's race and purpose of course. I'm thinking of getting a hunting dog in a near future, for just those things. Of a bag, I don't know. Maybe something really light, like a first aid kit could do. Dogs generally don't seem to like extra stuff strapped on them... Barring sledge dogs....
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

There are a couple of threads on using your dog and a couple of folks on here that have posted pictures of dog packs.

When you get a chance, why not curl up in the Introduction section and tells a bit about yourself?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yea I tried to find something on the subject but I must not have looked in the right categories.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

lots of backpackers depend on their dogs to carry thier own food load.

http://www.amazon.com/Outward-Hound-.../dp/B0006N9R6Y
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I rely heavily on my dogs for survival. My dogs essentially pay all of my bills, can carry about all of my stuff, and keep me busy 24/7...without them I dont know what i'd be doing to survive.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Right now all my dog does is pull my sled in winter, and pull my bike and kids in a trailer in summer. She loves to pull. Sometimes that is good and sometimes it is bad. Also, when I take her camping, she is the sentry all night, so I can sleep. I still need to get her a pack of her own for the summer. I don't take her unless she carries more than her own weight. Oh, she also cleans the dishes on camping trips. And, she was a great help in my marathon training. I always had a running partner that would run in the cold at night for any distance.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

my neurotic great dane will be a meals on wheels if resources get scarce enough. she's just not good for much else.

My boy is still young and a bit dopey but he comes from a long line of hog dogs of which I personally owned and trained his father and grandfather.... hunting, protection and companionship is a given with my dogs but this is the first generation that is going to get pack carry training. I'm not real sure about what type of pack setup or conditioning he's going to need. We've both got some training to go. The guy w/ the Pyrenees that goes hiking in the mountains has a pretty good setup.

My lab/shepherd mix is pretty scary looking. When DH is working away from home, I like having our dog around just for defense/security reasons. Really, that's about the only thing you listed that he's good for.

He's amazing with the kids (3 kids 7 and younger). A little boy held my daughter down on the ground (just roughhousing)...the dog ran over, pulled the little boy off by his shirt, held the little boy down long enough for my daughter to get up, then spent the rest of the time walking between the two of them. No holes in the shirt either! He's also kept certain people away from the kids. I don't press the issue as I believe dogs have a "sixth sense" about people and I trust his judgment.

Whenever we are ready for our next dog (we're a one-dog family), I'm going to do my best to stick with this hybrid breed--just work harder at training during the early years!

Guy at Rendezvous was hauling water and wood:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by greenbeetle View Post
    my neurotic great dane will be a meals on wheels if resources get scarce enough. she's just not good for much else.
    With you as an owner, no wonder the poor dog is neurotic.
    People like you should just refrain from having pets.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    With you as an owner, no wonder the poor dog is neurotic.
    People like you should just refrain from having pets.

I will just add that if you think your dog is neurotic, it is probably because they don't run enough. Dogs need to run...far.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

...and poop in their own yard.

Default Pinky the Beagle

I have a Beagle that is my constant companion. She makes a good alarm system but would pee all over herself if confronted with violence. Pinky also makes a fine rattlesnake detector. When she finds a rattlesnake, she stays about 10 feet away, points and barks her head off. She has come in very handy when hunting for fossils in Texas.
    Last edited by r0ckhamm3r; 01-19-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Pointers are amazing animals.

Default Pinky the Beagle

LOL, not exactly that way, but close enough.

I've got one I'd never taking with me to the field. You'd have to carry her back if she even decided to go somewhere that wasn't mowed.

Junior Member wild greens granny's Avatar

There's no way that I could ever leave my dog behind. She has helped me through some really tough times.