Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: backwoods menu/Wild tea.

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    Come on hop you know you wont to help me look for mushrooms lol. Stop being stubborn.
    Owl girl I would not hesitate to go on a trek with you I am sure you would pull your weight and your knowledge would be a real asset and you get to carry the nutrition identifier book set in your ruck.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Blog Entries

Default Come on people...

WarEagle69 "posers" you say we're posers cause we joke around on here bout mushrooms... come on bro, this is an internet forum relax. If you're here posting you're obviously not "out getting dirt time" but to call us posers over a thread and you don't know us other than what's on here. Well I am not a poser, but then again how would you know that right? Well the same way I trust what you say even though I don't really know if your living off the grid in a homestead. How do I know you ain't lying? Its just a thread, now while I know I can handle my own in the wilderness and have nothing to prove to anyone here, how do we know ANYONE here really does what they say they do, simple fact we take there word for it. So, bro, relax. Now I know I can forage in the woods and find plenty to eat... but I also know I'm not up to snuff on which mushrooms are good and which ain't, personally I don't care cause there is plenty to eat in a forest. BUT I like having WE back cause I know when we get waaaaay off track he'll bring us back. And Semperfartus the name calling on here is in fun... dude ya can't handle name calling on the forum how you gonna handle it in a survival situation? I don't care how many sites anyone has posted on or studied at, I'm going to be me and if'n it ain't good enough then tuff sh*t, I study my survival skills and practice them in the forests, was trained by the military and etc... so what... Relax people.
    Owl Girl as for you.... darling anytime ya wanna go into the forest and look for shrooms and study them you just let me know girl cause I'll go
    Last edited by Beo; 11-29-2007 at 03:52 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

Wheeeee... thanks for letting me vent
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

People get riled up about the simplest things.

I think everyone can agree on these two things:

1. In a true survival situation mushrooms should be foods of opportunity only. When you need calories your time is better spent setting traps or foraging more in general rather than looking for any 1 specific food. (same goes for alot of things).

2. You should never eat a mushroom if you are at all unsure if it is safe or not. There is no test for edibility you can use with a mushrooms and potentially deadly symptoms may not show in a reasonable amount of time to prevent you from eating more. So if you're 100% certain the mushroom is safe (ideally because you've ate it in the past), eat away, but if you have to guess, it isn't worth it for the relative low amount of calories the mushroom provides.

Blog Entries

To many Chiefs not enough indians... or to many starve'n pilgrims not enough Indians to feed them but yeah I may get a bit riled when someone calls me a poser, then I get over it. BTW i'm over it

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    And...and...Curley Fries don't grow wild neither! (sorry Nell.) Actually, I didn't know they made "Curley" Fries, How about "Moe" Fries, Or "Larry Fries", or "Shemp Fries?" (n'yuk n'yuk)
    LOL sarge! too funny,give'em time Somebody will make them somewhere!

I liked this thread. Lots of throwing around ideas and expressing points of view. A good (somewhat rousing) discussion (debate) thingy.

FYI all you ppl with your own countries.... your still on planet bob and a part of spiritmangea

Default there is this to consider

First off...WAREAGLE!!! Welcome back, bro! Now stop calling people names you're gettin' them all whiney & s**t

Food of opportunity....if you're stuck in a "survival" situation and you come across a Mickey D's or a bag of apples...chances are you weren't all that lost y'know...more likely you're going to find mushrooms in the forest.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Lightbulb

WOW. . .a lot of testosterone being thrown around in here!

Having taken people out into the woods for the last 28 years (most of them "NEWBIES"), 'shrooms are the last thing that I worry about showing them in a survival situation.

Edible plants, flowers, tubers, roots, barks, etc. are much easier to identify, in greater abundance, and less dangerous. 'Shrooms have a very short span of edibility and many of them look too much like their poisonous cousins to take a chance on showing to someone whom has little or no experience in the woods.

In a primitive living situation, learning the differences between the poisonous and non-poisonous 'shrooms is well worth it, but that comes after many years of practical hands-on experience in the woods, and learning about the edibility and medicinal uses of the plants in the area where one is going to live. . .primitively!

Eat 'em, don't eat 'em, that is a personal choice, but a lot of the posts on here need to be directed to the "NEWBIES" that are asking questions. For the experienced people, you may or may not know which 'shrooms are edible?! Personally, I feel it is better to ayer on the side of caution than to chance getting poisoned or dead from eating something that has nutritional value, albeit very little per 'shroom.

Time spent trapping or snaring rabbits, squirrels, etc. is going to give a lot more nutrition with a lot less expenditure of energy. And while trapping or snaring your time can be better spent building your shelter, or gathering fire wood or water, etc.
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Default first off

beowulf- what are the standing orders for a ranger? that should clarify my position.

next if you took the word poser to mean you well then.....

all i'm saying and this is for the newbies, educate yourselves seek out ppl who know and get the dirttime as i said there are four mushrooms that are very easy to id and do not have poisonous look a likes, all i'm saying is that if lost in the woods while looking for a bag of apples or a mc value meal that i'm sure i would walk past a copious amount of wild food.
    now for rabbits yes if you lived only on them then you would starve to death but most survival is short term so i would eat lots of rabbits and shrooms, although here is the ironic thing rabbits can eat the most deadly of shrooms with impunity and have no ill effects.
    now boys and girls go read a book or article or look up one thing on the net this week learn and apply.

always be prepared.

Default and also

i would not trip over a nickel to pick up a dollar. meaning while setting snares and traps pay attention to your surroundings and maybe you could help supplement your diet..

Default MMMMMM... tasty

juniper berries, prickly pear cactus fruits, hunnysuckle, leeks
    Last edited by Borelli; 12-02-2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: thought of one more i couldn't resist

rabbit, squirrel, frog legs, cattails, purslane, pine needle tea, blackberries, persimmons, mulberries.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm.....

..well, let me think...Hands down, my favorite is the MOREL!!!!!!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

mushrooms are awesome ,, however in a survival situation in my opinion unless your an expert at identity ,,, leave dis one alone , cuz if your wrong you may be dead wrong juss my opinion lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    i would not trip over a nickel to pick up a dollar.
    I like that saying.

being about as military as the cast of the "The Golden Girls" what are the standing orders for a Ranger?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Question backwoods menu/Wild tea.

......While refurbishing a handful of traps I got to wondering weather or not coon would be good to eat. Many years I played around with trapping and had some sucess. I found it pretty easy to catch coons and way more possums than I wanted. It never occured to me to try either one as tablefare. I've seen too many possums eating on some pretty raunchy stuff so I'm not sure how good they'd be. Now a coon, humm??? .....KF71

Yes they are good just yahoo , coon recipes and you'll see a lot of fund raisers that use coon as the main food or meat.. Have fun , just remember to remove the glans from under the front legs
    Last edited by Smok; 12-06-2007 at 04:39 AM.

Kingfisher - Coon and possum are both good if not a little greasy. But they do add a good compliment of fat to the diet if you are in the bush for a while. Both will eat just about anything. I had a couple of coons attack a can of lard and a bucket of worms on the same night while I was out running bank lines. What a mess when I got back.

I hate generalities but all fur bearing mammals in North America are edible as are all birds.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.