Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Onions

Default Onions

About 3 years ago I was out walking the lower La Platta River. I took some onions seeds with me. The river was down to a trickle and as I went, I would drop and stomp a few seeds.

Yesterday evening, I took the boys out for a walk and low and behold some of the seeds must have taken. We made digging sticks and dug up about a dozen onions and left the rest. The boys want to do pumpkins and water Mellon's next weekend. I wonder how Pinto Beans would do?

Good soil, water and it is a flood plane, so no one will build there. Free land for planting a few survival groceries. Just far enough away from everything that no one (But me) goes down there. Over grown with sage brush and scrub oak. You have to walk down the river bed to get where the planting would be unseen. But there is several miles of protected land.

Ideas Guys! I need ideas. What would you plant?

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

First, make certain whatever you plant is NOT an invasive species. Stay away from the mint family or you'll change the name from La Platta to La Minta in a couple of years. Melons love the flood plains. The loose, sandy soil is ideal for them. A LOT of commercial melons are grown in the river bottoms because of it. Beyond that, just about anything you want to plant. Just remember that anytime something new is introduced into an eco system there are repercussions even if they appear small.

You're biggest problem with be with the wildlife enjoying some of it like lettuce or corn or young bean plants.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Being flood plains I throw down some rice and see what happens. Remember that at the time you think your the only one going down there some Johnny Butterbutt will either show up or ride an ATV rough shod over the land.
    Last edited by Beo; 03-04-2008 at 09:21 AM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Large slices of onions, Spices, Herbs, And some sauce, I reccomend a curry like one. Mix together, Cook untill onions are soft. Serve with bread or starch filled (Sticky) rice. Mmmmmmmm
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony uk View Post
    Large slices of onions, Spices, Herbs, And some sauce, I reccomend a curry like one. Mix together, Cook untill onions are soft. Serve with bread or starch filled (Sticky) rice. Mmmmmmmm
    With bacon.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Don - Just so you know, bacon won't grow in the river bottoms so don't waste time planting the seeds.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Don - Just so you know, bacon won't grow in the river bottoms so don't waste time planting the seeds.
    Once again, good thing for us that you came along when you did. Here I've been throwing my piggy puffs down on river bottoms and all for naught.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Bacon is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit.

Are you just gonna follow me around doing that whereever I post? Cuz ...it's kind of flattering...
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Well, you know what? I thought that looked vaguely familiar. Go figure.

Yeah, cognizance is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. So, you're doing fine.

I like that. It's catchy! Has a little pizzaz to it.

Pizza is not a luxury but a necessity to the Trax's stomach.

you could also grow carrots

No carrots on the pizza thank you very much.

Fit right in Hillbilly. Perfect timing!

Heaven would be a woods that grew pizza and beer and hamburgers and bacon and jerky and...

Smartest thing you EVER said Rick,but Trax has to be there,or its no good
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

you know what sounds good with beer and pizza? carrots sound good with them hahahaha LOL

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Smartest thing you EVER said Rick,but Trax has to be there,or its no good
    Ahhh hun, you can't go tellin' Ricky all that lovey-dovey stuff he gets all miserable. I think our Ricky Ricardo needs a Lucy....