Thread: interesting question

Default interesting question

I was asked the other day by a less experienced Survival Student than myself,
    he actually asked me a really interesting question which at 1st doesn't seem like much, but if you really think about it, to answer it might not be quiet that easy...

That question he asked me is how do you guys prepare yourself for these trips excursions ( i do many survival practice trips various ones from 48hours with just a knife and a water bottle and fire steel, all the way through to 7 days with very little kit)

And well that question stumped me a bit, I never actually thought about what it is I do before I go, other than just ensure my kit is ok, and my health is good)
    and inform others where I am going and when I will be back, and perhaps also provide them with a number to a sat phone that might be available with one of Our rangers.

What do could you guys perhaps add?
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

For the outings that you are doing where you are purposely putting yourself in a position where you have minimal gear the biggest thing that you are doing is practicing your skills before you go. On trips like that you study the area before going. You familiarize yourself with available resources. You study edible plants and poisonous plants. You practice acquiring small game. You study the habits of predators in your area in order to avoid being a victim. You also have a back-up plan (since this is training) should the need arise for help.

It could be said that you do all of these things to avoid putting yourself in a survival situation.

This is why when so many people say......"survival camping" or "survival _ _ _ _ _" (fill in the blank) I sort of chuckle. While I know what they mean, it is really all done in order to prevents a situation where survival is in question.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We talked extensively about this a few years ago when we started doing Pot and Machete Challenges. The skills sets were important and very specific to the area we were in. Sleeping on the hard ground was the source of a lot of discomfort to those that hadn't done it. Sitting without a backrest was also uncomfortable for them. Eating unseasoned scrounged food caused some just to starve until it was over. The cleaning of a turtle actually turned some off of eating too. It sounds dumb but some had never pooped in the woods without TP. There's a funny story about a guy who didn't hike his drawers up when squatting. I bet that was a long 3 days.

Only 2 or 3 of us cut out coffee, Coke, salt, sugar, pepper, etc for awhile before the trips. That was an eye opener for those that didn't. It also shaped some new additions to our regular survival kits. LOL

I guess attitude had a lot to do with some not doing it again. $itchin' and grumblin' doesn't help you or the other people in camp.

FWIW
    Last edited by madmax; 05-23-2017 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    For the outings that you are doing where you are purposely putting yourself in a position where you have minimal gear the biggest thing that you are doing is practicing your skills before you go. On trips like that you study the area before going. You familiarize yourself with available resources. You study edible plants and poisonous plants. You practice acquiring small game. You study the habits of predators in your area in order to avoid being a victim. You also have a back-up plan (since this is training) should the need arise for help.

It could be said that you do all of these things to avoid putting yourself in a survival situation.

This is why when so many people say......"survival camping" or "survival _ _ _ _ _" (fill in the blank) I sort of chuckle. While I know what they mean, it is really all done in order to prevents a situation where survival is in question.
    100% correct, Crash I am always practicing skills whenever I can, either via teaching them to some one, or making a video about something, or just simply for fun, like light the barbecue with a bow drill this week, things like that. I do have books on edible and medicinal plants and I do go through the region i want to go and research a bit about what is there, I check maps etc, and find out what kind of predator I may encounter.. I watch many many many video of others doing things in similar enviroments to see what challenges they might have had, and think how I could mitigate that with either a skill or gear. We always have backup plans and saftey briefing meeting and a good talk of what to expect etc.
    The thing is It never occurred to me that this is part of my prep at all, because I actually really Love the process and understanding and so forth.. The question kinda took me by surprise... haha.. but yeah I do that everytime I go out to a known place.
    Physically what I do is Usually I gym a lot, so I usually take a week off gym before I go, as not to injure or potentially injure myself, and also to mitigate DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness )
    I just never actually consciously thought about what I actually do, because it just so part and parcel of what I do do, and its fun and interesting that it doesn't feel like work or prep or any of that.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 05-23-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    We talked extensively about this a few years ago when we started doing Pot and Machete Challenges. The skills sets were important and very specific to the area we were in. Sleeping on the hard ground was the source of a lot of discomfort to those that hadn't done it. Sitting without a backrest was also uncomfortable for them. Eating unseasoned scrounged food caused some just to starve until it was over. The cleaning of a turtle actually turned some off of eating too. It sounds dumb but some had never pooped in the woods without TP. There's a funny story about a guy who didn't hike his drawers up when squatting. I bet that was a long 3 days.

Only 2 or 3 of us cut out coffee, Coke, salt, sugar, pepper, etc for awhile before the trips. That was an eye opener for those that didn't. It also shaped some new additions to our regular survival kits. LOL

I guess attitude had a lot to do with some not doing it again. $itchin' and grumblin' doesn't help you or the other people in camp.

FWIW
    I hear you, I have experienced such people...
    after a few days out we kinda get distinct groups, ppl that love this and thrive and have a great time, and those that the 1st group would eat 1st if it was a real situation.

LOL. Someone once asked if I would eat Max (My ever present dog) in a survival situation. Seeing as how he usually provides an animal or 2 to the camp and this guy just sat and whined I just said no. In my head I thought, but you're fair game.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

But in a real world scenerio survival is an emergency action with no possible "prep". No week of rest, no planning session, no back up plan, no warning of time frame, no gathering of tested and proven gear for the event.

All of the "survival outings" we go on are simply camping trips with limited/specialized gear. They are recreation, not survival.

If there is a "plan B", a rescue plan in place, planning sessions, critiques along the way, specified gear of any description, and a person that organized the effort then you are in a training session.

Training sessions have been going on since man first realized the kids needed some practice before they left the cave.

Nothing the matter with these excursions, they are just not emergencies. What you are doing was just "everyday life" for people in many parts of the world 300 years ago, and is still "just life" in some out of the way regions.

Coping and surviving can also be an urban activity. Most folks just do not aspire to practice pan handling and being homeless in the urban sector as a recreational activity. With more than 50% of the population being urban or suburban that possibility needs exploration, and we have done so in the past.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-23-2017 at 08:38 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    But in a real world scenerio survival is an emergency action with no possible "prep". No week of rest, no planning session, no back up plan, no warning of time frame, no gathering of tested and proven gear for the event.

All of the "survival outings" we go on are simply camping trips with limited/specialized gear. They are recreation, not survival.

If there is a "plan B", a rescue plan in place, planning sessions, critiques along the way, specified gear of any description, and a person that organized the effort then you are in a training session.

Training sessions have been going on since man first realized the kids needed some practice before they left the cave.

Nothing the matter with these excursions, they are just not emergencies. What you are doing was just "everyday life" for people in many parts of the world 300 years ago, and is still "just life" in some out of the way regions.

Coping and surviving can also be an urban activity. Most folks just do not aspire to practice pan handling and being homeless in the urban sector as a recreational activity. With more than 50% of the population being urban or suburban that possibility needs exploration, and we have done so in the past.
    You Are right! These are simply training excursions, recreational, Tough yes.. but effectively camping with very little gear, and no tents and no food or water. Everything else needs to be found, made or caught but yes you are right.
    Urban survival is a thing, and yes I agree there is scope for that, and should be prepared for and practiced. and senairios run.
    I just happen to Enjoy The wilderness far more.

I agree too. Recreational. BUT it is also educational and training. Take Skip out who hasn't camped at all before and you probably will see a meltdown at some time. But I have been surprised before. One was a young lady who had never camped and shamed a few of the guys with her eagerness and great attitude.

If I get caught in say Atlanta in a SHTF you can bet I have one goal. Get out.

Can't add much much to this discussion....gonna say attitude may be the biggest difference maker.
    Just offering a few thoughts...

I had always thought that perp, gear, knowledge or area were important...and they are always.
    BUT much of that depends on what you take with you, be it in your pockets, pack, vehicle.... and your head.

I had thought that the the program "Naked and Afraid" was a good test of knowledge and skills with out a lot of fancy gear. ...as opposed to the Man vs wild shows.

Didn't take long to figure out how fast the "survival skills" part turned into a "wait it out strategy" in most of programs.
    Lost interest quickly.
    Some of the take along "items" were either just plain silly or attempting more drama?

Point is....there were a few that had the attitude the seemed to do a lot better the most.

Most important...Getting out there, if that is what you like to do.
    Anything you can do to improve your situation will alway be helpful, especially when you can say "Some day we are gonna laugh"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Can't add much much to this discussion....gonna say attitude may be the biggest difference maker.
    Just offering a few thoughts...

I had always thought that perp, gear, knowledge or area were important...and they are always.
    BUT much of that depends on what you take with you, be it in your pockets, pack, vehicle.... and your head.

I had thought that the the program "Naked and Afraid" was a good test of knowledge and skills with out a lot of fancy gear. ...as opposed to the Man vs wild shows.

Didn't take long to figure out how fast the "survival skills" part turned into a "wait it out strategy" in most of programs.
    Lost interest quickly.
    Some of the take along "items" were either just plain silly or attempting more drama?

Point is....there were a few that had the attitude the seemed to do a lot better the most.

Most important...Getting out there, if that is what you like to do.
    Anything you can do to improve your situation will always be helpful, especially when you can say "Some day we are gonna laugh"
    1000% agree! attitude is paramount... and having a few guys around that are good at lifting peoples spirits and motivating others is awesome.. ( generally is myself and my mate, we always in good spirits even when a bit sleep deprived and a tad dehydrated)

I would probably eat a lot of fat and protein right before to boost my stored calories. Of course, I can definitely loose a lot of my stored calories.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I would eat chicken and dumplings for at least 3 days in a row! Those dumplings expand in your stomach and it will be at least 2 days before you get hungry! Oh and you won't need toilet paper for a week........LOL It's called Geezer prep, just ask Hunter.......
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF

Attitude and mindset is number one in a true survival situation. Experience closely follows which is why we get out and do stuff. The things we take supliment our experience and gives us better chances. After experience comes adaptability by improvising for what you don't have or learning to go without. After adaptability is plain ol luck. With the right luck, nothing previously mentioned matters but luck (for me anyways) always seems to be in short supply and why i focus on everything previously mentioned.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

All very good points Guys.
    I appreciate the input, and you given me a lot more to think about.

Geezer prep for TP....
    Knee high socks.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27