Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Nessmuk!! (Or - I love my Nessie!)

Default Project Nessmuk!! (Or - I love my Nessie!)

My next project is the Nessmuk design shown in the picture. I have seen many "Nessies" on the web,However nowhere could I find a decent Drawing of one. Soooo I set down and drew one out. The rounded end of the pommel is where the the lanyard will go. I haven't drawn in the "Hole" yet as I haven't decided on the size. Just starting. First comes the drawing or design.... Then I go to the shop. BTW feel free to copy the design! I would like to see some more "Nessies". I plan on using 1/8" x 1 1/2" stock OAL 10 3/8" BL 5 1/4"
    The "Hump" on the spine will be somewhat rounded.BTW the Nessmuk is the one on the Left.

Sorry but I didn't erase very well and you can see some of my freehand work. Just ignore that.... unless you want to use the "Clip" angles! Give a little variety to the others work If they use the design!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Now Off to the shop to get started!!
    Last edited by pocomoonskyeyes; 03-07-2010 at 05:25 PM.

Yep.

You've got it bad.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What Crash said!!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Yep.

You've got it bad.
    THIS?!? Coming from someone who cranks out 4-5 at a time?? Sheesh!! Isn't that the pot calling the Kettle Black? Hmmmmm.........
    Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    What Crash said!!
    Uh huh,Just go ahead and back him up, I see how y'all are!!

Anyway I'm back from cutting it out and shaping it up. I drew on it so folks can tell which end is which,since it is so curvy. Here's what she looks like so far!

Anyway she should make a fine skinner!! So from those of you who have made a skinning knife,how thick or thin/slim should the blade be? Should my grind go high?

Looking good. On that 3/16" steel you probably want the grind to go fairly high. Skinner not a chopper.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Poco, I have always cut my primary grind high..usually at least half way up the blade.

Looking good. On that 3/16" steel you probably want the grind to go fairly high. Skinner not a chopper.
    I'm sorry I thought I had said that this would be out of 1/8" thickness. The blade on this is shorter than my Bowie, But the Handle is longer. The "Nessie" is a 1/4" shorter over all, but the blade is 1 1/4" shorter.The handle is about 1/4" longer on the Nessie" not counting the pommel that will extend beyond the actual scales. The pommel will extend @1/2" beyond the scales,and is where the Lanyard hole will be. I tried drawing it in on the blank, but I'm not sure how clear it is. I will incorporate the suggestions sjj made on what he would like to see. Knurling on the spine(like on the bowie) and the pommel extending past the handle with a lanyard hole there.

Gotcha. I would still recommend a high grind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Now that is a different design, cool,
    Seems that your head has a whole bunch of designs in there, just waiting to get out.
    Be intrested to see the progress.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Now that is a different design, cool,
    Seems that your head has a whole bunch of designs in there, just waiting to get out.
    Be intrested to see the progress.
    Actually it is an OLD design. George Washington Sears AKA "Nessmuk" (December 2, 1821 – May 1, 1890) is attributed with this knife design. It is a skinning knife design. There is even a picture of this in his "tools", from the book he wrote, "Woodcraft and Camping". But since he is such an acclaimed woodsman It is really quite popular among "primitive camping" enthusiasts,and Bushcrafters.

Thanks guys you all created a monster and now I can't get him to help out with the other chores!!!!!!!! Why did you all have to make such good knives that now he wants to do it? A monster a monster everyone run from the Poco monster!!!!
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by equus View Post
    Thanks guys you all created a monster and now I can't get him to help out with the other chores!!!!!!!! Why did you all have to make such good knives that now he wants to do it? A monster a monster everyone run from the Poco monster!!!!
    Don't blame us. Just take away his sanding belts until his chores are done. Kind of that - ya gotta finish your homework before you can go out and play thing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Aww Mom can't I go out and play now?? Pleeeaaaase..........?

that's got lots of promise. i think it'll come out great poco. best wishes.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

Looks nice poco. I agree with the higher grinds. It makes for better slicers. I had to take a moth or so off from the shop to catch up on my honey do list. I am almost done and been able to get some more shop time lately. If I stay out of the shop any longer I may have to carry a picture of my grinder with me. Hehehehe...
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Well I got 'er done!! Tomorrow I'll send both of these knives off to be heat treated!! YES!!! I think it is funny how much easier this second knife was to do! I took the grind ALL THE WAY to the spine. So it should be a really good slicer! It is almost a Scandi Grind but close to the edge it is more of a Convex Grind. The heat treat is $15/knife and $7 shipping. They will be going off to Peter's Heat Treat in Meadville,Pa. I should get them back in about a week or so. Then...... The finishing touches!!

I know,I know... Where are the pictures? Right? Well here ya' go! I also included the scales I JUST got in the mail today! Left to Right are : Redwood Burl, Ironwood, Buckeye Burl. Sorry but the darn flash washed out the Buckeye Burl.

Looks good Poco!! I hope you can sleep ok while they are gone to the heat treat!!

Blog Entries

Ahhhh the wait begins. Waiting for my blades to get back from HT was a pain. I always ended up buying a folding knife or two to help me get through those long two weeks of waiting.

Nice work Poco!
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Great looking work Poco.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Y'all would say something! Now I don't want to send them Off!! I miss them already!!