Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Source for AR15 build kit

If I wanted to break into an AR and didn't need my ultimate application yet I'd probably start 5.56 also. If I did, I'd build for what I want to use it for. You'll always end up wanting an upper for every role. Then you'll end up wanting a lower for every upper and it's nice to not have to be in a hurry about that.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Tool & Die Maker

My goal is to have a .300 blackout for hog hunting and a .22 LR for shootin. I can do change overs for a while but eventually have complete uppers and complete lowers.

I ordered the AR15 .223/5.56 just now and already have an 80% Anderson lower on hand. Plus, I'm going to a huge gun show this weekend at Kane county. Who knows what I'll find there. Still need gun sights for the AR 15.

This is going to be fun. Jim
    Last edited by jim Glass; 04-04-2016 at 09:46 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    If I wanted to break into an AR and didn't need my ultimate application yet I'd probably start 5.56 also. If I did, I'd build for what I want to use it for. You'll always end up wanting an upper for every role. Then you'll end up wanting a lower for every upper and it's nice to not have to be in a hurry about that.
    Or you wind up seeing cheap offers for uppers and since a lower is only $50 you go ahead and rationalize the purchase and pretty soon you have one in every corner and the next one in the milling vise!

Like I said, they are like Tribbles.

Seems like you have a plan in place Jim.

And do not forget that you can slap a scope on the flat top and not ever deal with irons unless you get a real good deal on them.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

FWIW, I got my iron sights on Amazon...and they are pretty much identical to a stock set....just at a 45* angle. My rear sight seems "backwards" but it's because it's mounted on the left side of the rifle instead of the right:

http://www.amazon.com/Zengi-Degree-S...ilpage_o00_s00

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

They are pretty much dead-on and adjust no different than "regular" sights. These are sturdy, non-folding and definitely doable...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Or you wind up seeing cheap offers for uppers and since a lower is only $50 you go ahead and rationalize the purchase and pretty soon you have one in every corner and the next one in the milling vise!

Like I said, they are like Tribbles.

Seems like you have a plan in place Jim.

And do not forget that you can slap a scope on the flat top and not ever deal with irons unless you get a real good deal on them.
    Kinda what I was thinking. The lower is the cheapest part. Once you spend more than $400 on an upper, you might as well drop the $100-!50 on a complete lower for it.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Lalalalalalalalalala.....Not reading this......Lalalalalalala........don't try to temp me.......Lalalalalala
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Tool & Die Maker

For machining the AR-15 80% lower I found this place to be the best source for drawings. Scroll down to see
    the top and side views.

http://optimusdefense.com/image/data...inspection.pdf

Be careful using other sources because I printed out drawings for the AR-10 and/or .308. Those drawings are a little different from the AR-15

Ordered a set of sights from here: http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Flip-...912390&sr=1-16

Don't go to Zengi Sporting, they claim to be sold out of the same sight. I'll probably buy a laser sight from
    Zengi. https://www.zengisports.com/index.ph...y/laser-sight/
    Jim
    Last edited by jim Glass; 04-05-2016 at 11:18 PM.

More than a little different. They are almost entirely dimensionally dissimilar.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    For machining the AR-15 80% lower I found this place to be the best source for drawings. Scroll down to see
    the top and side views.

http://optimusdefense.com/image/data...inspection.pdf

Be careful using other sources because I printed out drawings for the AR-10 and/or .308. Those drawings are a little different from the AR-15

Ordered a set of sights from here: http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Flip-...912390&sr=1-16

Don't go to Zengi Sporting, they claim to be sold out of the same sight. I'll probably buy a laser sight from
    Zengi. https://www.zengisports.com/index.ph...y/laser-sight/
    Jim
    On the sights.....yeah, they were plenty in stock when I ordered mine...which was back in January. Those flip-ups are nice....I just didn't want them myself. I know how I am on gear....and is why I ordered the non-folding versions. The flip ups for me wouldn't last.

As far as lasers goes, hey.....it's your build....rock out with your....uh.....nvm.....

..........but don't get pulled into the 'adding a ton of crap to your rifle' club either. My personal opinion is to just add what you need. My example is my own build. It's an SPR...a "Dedicated Marksman" rifle-type role....which is the "intermediate" between "grunt-gun" [light and fast carbine] and 'sniper.' Every defensive rifle should have a light and some type of iron sight....even when scoped or red dotted. Remember that everything else translates to added weight. All ounces add up to pounds. The only "extras" I plan to add to my current set up is one thing - a bipod...but again, it's a designated and specific role. Now....were I to build another upper for "light and tight" [which I will be doing btw]...it's going to be a 16" carbine with a co-witnessed red dot. Nothing else.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

Tool & Die Maker

Hey, I understand. My AR-15 is intended for wild hog hunting in Florida where hunting will be fairly close range and often at night in total darkness. I'm leaning towards a 10 round magazine because of weight and I want to avoid things protruding out from the rifle like a 30 round magazine. The build would be much different if the rifle was for deer hunting or target shooting. This is what I find amazing with AR-15s. They can be custom made to fit the application and then converted to something different.

Thanks for the tip on the gun sights. They should suit my needs just fine. Jim

Another thing to watch out for with the flip up sights is that some of them are made from polymer.

If you mount them on the front gas block they will melt after a few rounds.

As for magazines, the 30 is not that much bigger than the 20 and the 10 round is exactly the same size as a 20. 10 round mags are normally just 20 round bodies with a stop to limit the capacity to 10 rounds.

As for your application, do you need some of those luminous sights and a suppressor?

We can hook you up with a guy we know!

I think I would be leaning toward a red dot for use at dusk or dark like you are facing. Zero power, both eyes open, dot on the hog and BANG!

Your conditions are exactly why I go with red dots and illuminated reticle scopes. iron sights simply disappear in those lighting conditions and I might as well not even have them on the firearm.

Of course that is just me and my eyes, but I gave up on irons 30 years ago.

I'd love to have access to legal weapons like you do stateside, I'd spend a fortune on guns if I had half the chance.
    You have to jump through hoops like a mad man here in Europe to even get a hunting license. But even at that we don't get anything as fun as an AR15 to play with.

I don't know what to say about that. Partly politics and partly social conditioning, and highly localized.

On one hand the Europeans, especially the British, say out of one side of their mouths that they envy us our firearms freedoms.

Then out of the other side of their mouths they call us uncouth, gun slinging cowboys, unwilling to compromise for the "common good".

In some of our minds firearms ownership is the thing that guarantees the "common good".

Yes; it's got to be people talking out of both sides of their mouths, because we know it's impossible for different people in one place to have their own views as separate, distinct human beings.

And that's why mouth's have two sides. Well, corners. Lips? Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I don't know what to say about that. Partly politics and partly social conditioning, and highly localized.

On one hand the Europeans, especially the British, say out of one side of their mouths that they envy us our firearms freedoms.

Then out of the other side of their mouths they call us uncouth, gun slinging cowboys, unwilling to compromise for the "common good".

In some of our minds firearms ownership is the thing that guarantees the "common good".

Well yes, I agree.
    On a personal level I'd like "free" access to guns as I know I'd be handling them properly and storing them away out of harms way.
    But I also agree that there should be tighter control on guns stateside, not necessarily in how readily available they are but in how they are stored.
    Make it mandatory to store em locked up in some fashion to keep them away from kids.

What, schizo, me ?!?! Nah
    Just don't call me British, my wife would kill me
    Last edited by OddJob; 04-07-2016 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Just don't call me British

But, but, I don't have kids in the house. Why would I need to lock them up? But, but, how would I get to them if I needed to defend myself? But, but, the Constitution doesn't require them the be locked up.

Don't know you enough to be sure, but i do detect some sarcasm.

Anyway, if we are to go in to it and go way off topic (sorry OP), yep, I can see that viewpoint, I don't necessarily agree with it but I get it.
    However, don't want to crap on the no politics rule in my first week here, so I'll put a sock in it...for now

There is a political section for discussing the ol' politics. Feel free to discuss there.

As for the ongoing discussion... Magpull makes a pretty good 10 round magazine. It is shorter than a 20 rounder, just barely makes it out of the mag well. I bought one for fun, and mostly bench rest shooting. I only bought one because I only need one. I have many 30 rounders and plan to buy many more. But, the 10 rounder is nice to have once in a while.

With my AR build, I put a permanent front sight, exact same as the issued M16. The back pop up sight is aluminum. Then I put a red dot. For a while, I thought the back pop up kept moving every time I poped it up. I later found the red dot mount was loosening. I didn't loctite it like I should have.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Neighbor and friend deer hunts with a 6.8 AR build.....both he and his wife....builds AR's as a hobby.

He has been working with a local guy that manufactures 5 round mag's for his AR deer rifle....so as to not catch in the brush.

At some point I guess I am just gonna have to get in the game...

There is the old Colt target model laying around....but I hear some the pins are a different size.
    That is set up similar to a early M16....carry handle and all.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27