Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kerosene as an antiseptic?

Probably explains why you look a wee bit like a donkey and let guys ride on your back.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ahahahahah
    "use enough gun......"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyq View Post
    Calomine lotion for sunburns and my mom still insists Jagermeister is a medicine for stomach ailments. We didn't use kerosene but we did use gas to clean stuff like carburetors and greasy hands, wait, carburetor whats that now? lol
    When I lived in Germany for a year, I learned about Jagermeister and similar products. Made from a variety of herbs, these liquors were actually made (in part) to aid in digestion after a large meal. If you've got a mildly upset stomach or you've just eaten too much, take ONE shot of an herb-based liquor with 40%ABV and you'll feel better in no time at all. I'm not saying it's true 'medicine' in that sense of the word, but it does work!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Now you have brought back another old memory, well maybe a nightmare. I remember dad watching Porter Wagoner and the Grand Ole Opry and I think he would have had a breakdown if he missed those shows every week. I was just a little kid and those shows bored me to tears. I even remember that ole dude that talked on the phone to somebody named Sadie.............who was that guy?
    And my mom always worried about us kids being constipated and if she even thought we were, out came the Black Drought or Milk of Magnesia! How we kept form pooping the bed I really dont't know. Either one of those majic formulas would fairly set you free and it felt anything but clean when we exploded like a water baloon
    That guy on Porter Wagoner's show was Speck Rhodes, I believe; RFD channel shows reruns.

As for kerosene, my grandmother told me that it was sometimes used internally- for what, I'm not sure. She was born in 1909.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

I bet that the kerosene worked so well because it was fairly sterile after having been distilled. In my family it was the "sugar and kerosene paste with a brown paper cover" method. It seems to have worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    That brings spanking to mind.
    Which came first, the spanking or the only real effective treatment - Mommy kissing it to make it better? Make no mistake, both were handed out frequently (and I never deserved one of them!).

Vicks was very big in my family as well. Even had the swallow the stuff! "Your sister is getting a cold; eat a teaspoon of this while I rub it on your chest"
    Last edited by Old GI; 12-09-2013 at 09:42 AM.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    Which came first, the spanking or the only real effective treatment - Mommy kissing it to make it better? Make no mistake, both were handed out frequently (and I never deserved one of them!).

Vicks was very big in my family as well. Even had the swallow the stuff! "Your sister is getting a cold; eat a teaspoon of this while I rub it on your chest"
    My mom made us eat that stuff too! It was like eating a giant menthol loogie

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    My mom made us eat that stuff too! It was like eating a giant menthol loogie
    Bhohahahaha.....choke, spit, cough...Aw man don't DO that...... when I'm drinking coffee........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Kerosene was a #1 med. kept in the tack room at the ranch. Used on man and beast.
    The Great Spirit and Country. Semper Fi.

When I was a kid, kerosene was the standard cure for poison ivy...soak a rag and wrap it on. Then, stay far away from all the men folk who were smoking!

our property is in or about crater lake,oregon

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Well,...... for me it was tobacco juice.....LOL.
    Not a recommendation.
    me too hunter63!
    anything that happened i got either chewed up cigarette tobacco on my wound
    or butter.
    i think they use to use turpentine and kerosene in the old days but i dont know about now.
    i would be scared to.

i rub vicks on everyones feet when they are coughing so badly and put socks on their feet.
    i swear it always makes them stop coughing.

Quote Originally Posted by cabingal4 View Post
    i rub vicks on everyones feet when they are coughing so badly and put socks on their feet.
    i swear it always makes them stop coughing.
    That's because they don't want it to get any closer to their noses.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

hee hee.crashdive123...thats probably right.lol.

Butter always went on burns. Now, I understand, that is one of the worst things to do for a burn.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

it sure id GI-but my granny sure thought it was the best cure for a burn.
    couldnt u just feel ur-sink cooking more?
    lol

Wow..the good ol' kerosene stuff we did the same thing here in Malaysia till the late 70's...
    I remember when I was a kid and the day I stepped on a nail..I was only wearing rubber flip flops (a norm in for most folks to wear that time in Malaysia..we would use the flip flops wherever we go..)...the simple first aid would be ..take the flip flop and slap it against the cut so that more blood would be drawn out...( we believe at that time that if more blood is drawn out, the bad things on the ail would also be flushed out)..then pour kerosene onto the wound...hehehe
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Banned

Petroleum distillates would be a very last resort for use as an antiseptic or other medication for me. There are generally other alternatives that are far less toxic. The fumes alone from Kerosene are toxic, not as bad as gasoline but still somewhat toxic. I have injested mouthfuls of gasoline while siphoning gas for my dirt motorcycle (Dad taught me to do it, I have no idea why he didn't just buy a container of gas) and it did not give me much of a stomachache but I still would avoid these petrol fuels on or in me. But Kerosene works great to clean off greasy machine parts, just not human parts.

Here is a interesting and disturbing article, people who thought Kerosene cured their cancer. I would guess it more than likely caused cancer. Efficacy rates are most likely NOT scientifically proven.

http://www.health-science-spirit.com/kero.htm

Nigeria has a huge problem with people stealing petroleum from pipelines, many people get killed doing it. Crazy!
    Last edited by TXyakr; 11-22-2014 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typos

kerosene works fairly well on chilblains.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I don't know about kerosene as an antiseptic, but I have used it to kill head lice (my head). A rag soaked in kerosene can be wrapped over you hair, then removed after an hour or so. Laundry detergent can clean off the kerosene, then comb carefully to check that the lice are removed. Harsh, but it works.

At least one survival medicine book I have read recommends a teaspoonful of kerosene to kill intestinal worms. I do not know from experience, perhaps this kills the host as well the worm.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 11-22-2014 at 10:46 PM.