Thread: Seven People Who Gave Up On Civilization to Live in the Wild

Default Seven People Who Gave Up On Civilization to Live in the Wild

Some interesting folks on this one. Some you'll know, some you probably won't.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wil...-in-the-wild-0
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Recognized a few of them. To bad they didn't show some others such as Earl Parrot, Sylvan Hart, Heimo Korth, Wild Bill Moreland, Cougar Dave, Richard Zimmerman, there are others that escape my memory at the moment.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

They forgot someone on that list... nativedude!!!! I knew who 4 of them were.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I wonder what the choice were based on?.....pretty much of a mixture..???
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

man, look at the comments. people are HELPLESS. They cant even be bothered to google for how to do something before posting about how hard it would be. :-) boiling water for 3 hours, fercrhissakes! a minute or two is plenty. The stuff in it is DEAD, man. and to claim that Africans drink dirty water "without effect!" what a crock! it's why their life expectancy is 35, not 75. half of the infants die when they stop nursing and start drinking the water. they don't even give the kid a name until it proves that it can (somewhat) tolerate the parasites in the water.

Actually, it's dead before it reaches boiling.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've been looking for Bill Moreland's story for awhile now. The hardest part was remembering his name. If anyone knows where I can find a good writing of his story, I would really appreciate a point in the right direction. I think I first read about him in a Backwoodsman magazine a few years back. I can't even find that magazine in my collection.

here's a link to wild bill moreland's story

https://www.amazon.com/Ridgerunner-R.../dp/1605488682
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Do people with no other skills available get paid for making up these bogus lists.

Looking at their selection I see immidiately that 4 of the 7 had serious mental health issues, two died during their efforts and one was sentenced to death for his actions. Gauguin was a total nut job with the self mutilation thing going on and his final death at his own hands.

Thoreau was not in the "wilderness" since Waldon Pond was on the property of a friend and only a mile or so out of town. He made frequent trips to town and had visitors on a regular basis. He had food and occasional "carry out" delivered.

The Desert Monks do not go to the wilderness to forage and survive, they go to pray for the forgiveness of the sins of the world and their needs are met by the Church organization. Some of the monasteries are nearly 2000 years old so their system works for them.

I do not think there is much I can learn from most of the group on the list other than what NOT to do if you want to stay alive either in civilization or in the wilderness.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I guess the exception get the attention?.
    Outlaws, Pirate, Bad guys are interesting.....but maybe not a role model?????

I have visited Waldon Pond. Nice place easy access (now).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That and scars. Chicks dig scars.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That and scars. Chicks dig scars.
    Like the mantra of one of my biker buddy's.......
    "If you don't limp, you ain't poppy...."
    or words to that effect.

List invalidated by lack of Ralph Edwards. Most of us can only *dream* of being as cool as Ralph Edwards.