Thread: Did I miss a season?

Default Did I miss a season?

I walked into wal-mart, and what did I see?

SEED's!

Lot's and lot's of seed's!
    Isn't it kinda early for spring planting??? LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Not if you want to grow you own plants. Right now is the time seeds need to be planted to transfer to the garden this summer. I'm just tickled they are getting the seeds out earlier.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

i could direct sow many vegies right now if i wanted here.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

The most hateful voice I can muster.....i could direct sow many vegies right now if i wanted here.......
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Retailers are pushing the seasons earlier and earlier,(walmart had easter candy out before Christmas here),where I work,the winter clothes have been on clearance for 3 weeks,Carhart and Berne coats,bibs abd coveralls are at 25% off,but in another week or 2 they will drop even more,and yep we have seeds in as well.

Rick is absolutely correct about getting seeds started,now is the time if you have the space.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I might also say that I plant lettuce, radishes and spinach on Valentine's Day. Even if snow is on the ground the seed gets scattered right on top. I've never had a crop fail. Ooh. Talking about gardening already. Makes you feel like winter is over. Cool.

LOL...I was standing there, looking at a pack of seed's, thinking "Huh...if they had these out any sooner, I could have had fresh red and green bell peppers, for Christmas ornaments."
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I might also say that I plant lettuce, radishes and spinach on Valentine's Day. Even if snow is on the ground the seed gets scattered right on top. I've never had a crop fail. Ooh. Talking about gardening already. Makes you feel like winter is over. Cool.

No,WARM!!!!!!!!!!!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The most hateful voice I can muster.....i could direct sow many vegies right now if i wanted here.......
    LOL, I agree, 'bout right for a lot of stuff, some germination/planting times are like 14 weeks till last frost.

Stopped do this, cut wayyyyyy back on the garden by DW request.
    Seem that less turns out to be more, can take care of everything better, more harvests per plant.
    Used to start 36 flats of 48 plants each.
    Was costing me $30 bucks a month for the electric, and ended up giving a lot of plants away.
    I still look forward to the catalogs every year, though.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

There shouldnt be any problem busting through the frost line with one of these.
    Last edited by oly; 03-13-2010 at 09:57 AM.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

i know i brag a bit when it comes to my gardening climate, but don't forget, i envy most of you your winters as well.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

....he said while munching on a fresh tomato from the garden followed by strawberries.

Quote Originally Posted by oly View Post
    There shouldnt be any problem busting through the frost line with one of these.
    We need one of those to get thru the clay around here.
    Or another way is detonator cord layed out to "blow a row".

First garden here was potting soil layed out over seed laying flat on the clay.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My seeds came in the mail yesterday and today. Almost time to set up the lamp for the early starts. Most stuff gets started in the cold frame later though. The peas go out as soon as I can get an inch of soil thawed (black plastic works wonders) but that's at least 2 months away.

I was just sitting out in the back room staring wistfully over the snow-covered backyard, feeling trapped. Then happened to think, look at all that flat space over there on top of the leach field... Does anyone know if it's a really bad idea to put raised beds on top of a leach field?

We need one of those to get thru the clay around here.
    my favorite thing about my new garden: no hard-pan.

Thanks Rick. I sorta expected it wasn't a good idea when I thought about the watering aspect, though I had considered using closed-drainage beds. That article points out several other things I hadn't really thought through though, evaporation being one of them.