Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Throwing Objects

I have been known to throw machetes. The secret to throwing a Latin pattern machete it to turn it around in your hand so the edge is facing towards you like you were going to chop with the spine. This puts the swept point rotating forwards and the blade will stick better.

Nothing really to add on technique, I use the same for throwing hatchets or machetes.

SAFETY WARNING
    - If you are going to attempt to throw a machete keep in mind that they are basically a sharpened leaf spring. A machete that misses can rebound very far and in unpredictable directions. People standing off to the side are NOT safe. You need to treat the range as if you are shooting handguns, everyone must be behind the line of fire.

Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks Mac. How come you wouldn't use the edge forward so that the cutting edge might hit. Do you throw it sidearm, like a rabbit stick, or overhand like an axe?
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Quote Originally Posted by justin_baker View Post
    Well, this was REALLY lucky, but one time i was walking up a steep, thick wooded, mountain stream and got about 20 feet away from a squirrel in a tree. He couldnt hear me because the stream was pretty dang loud, i couldnt even hear my own footsteps, and i killed him by throwing a rock.
    Im sure you could kill a bird with a rock if you were determined enough.
    Three Questions.

1. did you eat said squirrel

2. is throwing rocks a legal method of taking game in your state

3. Has Ken read this post yet
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    Thanks Mac. How come you wouldn't use the edge forward so that the cutting edge might hit. Do you throw it sidearm, like a rabbit stick, or overhand like an axe?
    If you throw edge forward it could cut if you get it right, it just won't penetrate or stick in wood. I don't see this as anything more than "Redneck Lawn Darts", it's a game of skill but not really a skill for survival. It is very fun to throw a 14 - 16 inch machete and have it THUNK into the target. You can actually get very good at it with a little practice.

If I was going to take small game by throwing something I would use the machete to cut a throwing stick. If by some off chance (a last chance act of desperation) I had to throw at man or beast I would reverse the blade and go for maximum penetration, cuts or slashes tend to be superficial and actually do very little damage. In reality under such circumstances I would be more likely to launch myself at the target and lead with the machete. I would much rather use a 16 inch spear point mounted on a 200 lb shaft.

Mac

ETA - I throw overhand like an axe. It is very critical when throwing a machete to keep it "cutting the air" with no axis spin. Keep your thumb off of it and make sure the blade is in line with the forearm. Arm motion is perpendicular to the ground, body bladed to the target right side forward, weight on right (front) foot. Release happens naturally when the arm comes to full extension out in front of the face.
    Last edited by Pict; 04-03-2010 at 05:32 PM.
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Blog Entries

awesome explanation. Thanks again!!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Pict, Great explanation as always, Thanks for posting
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Blog Entries

Well, this was REALLY lucky, but one time i was walking up a steep, thick wooded, mountain stream and got about 20 feet away from a squirrel in a tree. He couldnt hear me because the stream was pretty dang loud, i couldnt even hear my own footsteps, and i killed him by throwing a rock.
    You did WHAT???

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Three Questions.

1. did you eat said squirrel

2. is throwing rocks a legal method of taking game in your state

3. Has Ken read this post yet
    1. He damned well better have. Fur and all.

2. Probably not. What's the law in your state say about shooting criminals, justin_baker?

3. I just did. Thanks for the heads-up, Welderguy! This justin_baker is gonna' stay on my radar screen for a long time. Keep an eye on him, everybody. This newbie sounds like trouble to me.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Mmmmm....tenderized squirrel!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

Memo to justin_baker:

Squirrels ain't worth the effort. Not enough meat. Instead, I suggest that you throw rocks at brown bears.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Memo to justin_baker:

Squirrels ain't worth the effort. Not enough meat. Instead, I suggest that you throw rocks at brown bears.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Mmmmm....tenderized squirrel!
    Second Memo to justin_baker: Practice your aim by throwing rocks at 2dumb first.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Second Memo to justin_baker: Practice your aim by throwing rocks at 2dumb first.
    Now wait a minute Ken, wouldn't it be better practice to throw at something that is fast, cause I remember several references to how SLOW 2D2K is.

You did WHAT???
    He Said he killed a squirell with a rock

Now wait a minute Ken, wouldn't it be better practice to throw at something that is fast, cause I remember several references to how SLOW 2D2K is.
    Slow?.......Yes.
    Ticked off and armed?......Probably. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Slow?.......Yes.
    Ticked off and armed?......Probably. LOL
    you got a pocket full of rocks too ?

you got a pocket full of rocks too ?
    Yeah...'cuz, you know.....all my guns being lost in that canoeing accident.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

I dont know the legality of it :S (The op mentioned hunting with throwing weapons, your not getting on him with the legality of that?) This was 6-7 years ago while playing in the woods with my friends. Trust me, im not that stupid anymore. We were slingshot hunting and messing around in the woods. As a kid i threw rocks at everything, after hundreds of tries i was bound to hit something.
    Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Did you roast it or fry it?
    I just left it there. I still feel bad about it. I would kill tons of birds with out bb and pellet guns, pathetic i know. Me and my friends would go around kill lizards and snakes too. I wouldnt do anything like today. If i killed something i would eat everything including the heart and liver and make something out of the fur.

Anyways
    , i was reluctant to post this, but i figured the OP might be interested in a success story. In the right position and at the right time, it wouldnt hurt to try. If people killed kangaroos in the outback with boomarangs then there must be something to it,

I dont know the legality of it :S (The op mentioned hunting with throwing weapons, your not getting on him with the legality of that?) This was 6-7 years ago while playing in the woods with my friends. Trust me, im not that stupid anymore. We were slingshot hunting and messing around in the woods. As a kid i threw rocks at everything, after hundreds of tries i was bound to hit something.
    I just left it there. I still feel bad about it. I would kill tons of birds with out bb and pellet guns, pathetic i know. Me and my friends would go around kill lizards and snakes too. I wouldnt do anything like today. If i killed something i would eat everything including the heart and liver and make something out of the fur.

Anyways
    , i was reluctant to post this, but i figured the OP might be interested in a success story. In the right position and at the right time, it wouldnt hurt to try. If people killed kangaroos in the outback with boomarangs then there must be something to it,
    Well thank you for responding and clarifying your actions, However I could go into another tangent but wont, I will say I am glad you learned from that mistake and havent repeated it since.
    And I have seen videos of how deadly accurate some Australians are with a boomerang , It is very impressive how well they hone there skill.

Blog Entries

for the record.. if I'm desperate enough to try to kill a squirrel with a rock, I couldn't care less about the law. In fact if things are bad enough that I have to resort to throwing rocks, I'd bet the law couldn't care less and would probably join me for a meal of tenderized squirrel.
    Yall are makin me hungry!

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Blog Entries

disclaimer: Since things aren't that bad YET, it is a good idea to make sure you are hunting legally. I like to practice throwing things with a friend at an old soccer ball or the like. Friend rolls the ball, I have a throw, then we switch.

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    for the record.. if I'm desperate enough to try to kill a squirrel with a rock, I couldn't care less about the law. In fact if things are bad enough that I have to resort to throwing rocks, I'd bet the law couldn't care less and would probably join me for a meal of tenderized squirrel.
    Yall are makin me hungry!
    I have to agree with your statement, in a SHTF situation I would be a rock chucking fool , but just to kill something with a rock to see if I can is another thing all together.