Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Throwing Objects

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Throwing Objects

I was looking over some pictures and have seen folks throwing all sort of things.
    Through much experimentation and practice over the last 4 or 5 months, I think I have perfected my personal technique for throwing a rabbit stick. (sorry no pics)
    My stick is made of red tip bushes.. mine are severely overgrown at about 30 feet high. My rabbit stick is about as long as my arm, almost long enough for walking stick. It's about 2" on the big end and I guess it weighs about 3 lbs.
    I stand at approximately 45 degrees to my target, holding it in my right hand, left foot forward. I let the stick lay across my back, sort of, letting the end rest on my shoulders.
    backspin and point at target with left hand, then let her rip. the twisting action and the arm radius extension really seems to put good spin on it.

That's about all I can say for throwing the stick and it'll probably work differently for anyone else, I just found what works for me.

The real question here is about other things. Things like hatchets, knives, hawks.. whatever you happen to have handy that you can use to procure a meal. Suppose you were out chopping a little wood or whatever other scenario you want to place yourself in. Most of us carry knives, What are the proper techniques for throwing these objects.

I don't know for sure, but I think Mel does a bit of hawk chucking, and I believe I read that a couple other guys here throw knives. I'm wanting to learn about these throwing techniques and keep the information on this board. I like having all my info in one place, don't you?

Things I've tried to throw with little or no success are knives, stars, axes, hatchets, and improvised umm... projectiles lol. I do okay with water balloons but they don't really get you any meat.. i'm thinking of stepping up to hand grenades, but apparently you need a license to buy that sort of thing so.. I'm asking for someone to tell us how to throw hawks and knives and perhaps try to translate that into hatchets, machetes, and knives... things we will likely have with us in the woods besides just a stick.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

I profiled three throwing knives today. I can say with authority that if I were hungry and only could rely on the throwing knives........I would probably still be hungry.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would have to echo that thought.

The throwing stars are illegal in Indiana so make certain what you are chucking is legal. I think Frank is our resident expert on throwing hawks and knives. I'm pretty certain he said he's done competitions to the point that they make him retrieve his own because he sticks them so deep. I'll let him give the instructions here.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

There was that one throw however..........just goes to prove the old saying that even a blind Crash can find the handle of another hawk every now and then.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You mean this one? Oh doesn't he look so smug? Yes this is "Robin Hood Crash"
    Attached Images Attached Images

i have thrown knives,hawks.. trick is not to induce spin.let the natural gravity take over.i used to throw over 50 ft.in 3 inch groups.i used bed frame angle to fasion,three knives,clamped together and ground.so each had the same weight.practice daly,hours,if possible.measure off a distance,draw a line throw several times.if it hits hilt first or flat,move forward or back and throw somemore.find the distance that works for u.target should be soft wood planks(i used soft pine)about 4 ft sq.good luck ..send im if u need help of clarifacation.

Been a while, but with a hawk and knife, 3-1/2 paces from your target.

Stand with your back to the target, step off the paces, keep track of what foot, then turn at 3-1/2
    Grip the handle, facing the target, swing your arm/hand like a pendulum, can start down or even at waist level, over your head, and let fly on down swing.
    Smooth even swing, like a golf swing, will stick point first.
    This is one revolution

From that spot, pace off 3-1/2 more paces, turn around only grip knife by the point, or turn hawk blade backwards, knife will stick, hawk will stick handle up.
    This is a revolution and 1/2.

Three more paces reverse again, handle grip knife, blade forward hawk.
    This is 2 revolutions and so forth.

You may have to adjust the paces as we are all different, but this is a good start.
    Don't "flip it" on your throw, just release when it looks right.

As far as animals go, I would stick to a throwing stick, sling, spear, sling shot, at-tale(spelling?) or somethine other than your knife, axe, whatever, unless you plan on carring a lot of them.
    Too valuable to be throwing around that new knife/hawk and risk possible loss.
    All movie knife throws are just that, movie stuff.
    And if you miss, the bad guy/animal now has your knife.

Don't bother with a fancy handle on your throwing knife, I will break.
    Ask me about my hand made, almost sanded off half my hand, on a set of fancy cherry wood grips, (scales I guess you knife guys call them).
    Busted them on the first throw.
    Most throwing knives are made point end heavy, handle wrapped in leather cording or para-cord.
    Have fun, and have spare hawk handle if you get in a handle match.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

presumably you would need to be pretty good at guestimating paces in the field.

Of course, we aren't talking about throwing it at an "enemy", never give your NME your weapon... but rather we are talking about a "pop shot" at a rabbit or squirrel. If you miss, you go pick up your hawk or machete or whatever. If a squirrel throws it back at you, it might be time to relocate to another Bug Out Location and stop eating wild mushrooms LOL!

Good info Hunter. I was just thinking that sometimes you might be working on something in the field, like a debris shelter or what have you and some small critter run out (this has happened to me before) and if you had something IN HAND to throw, you just might get to eat tonight.
    Thanks for the instructions!!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

That was an excellent tutorial, Hunter. Concise and easy to understand. Very good post!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I took a set of Cold Steel True Flight Throwers to the Jamboree. Everyone seemed to like them. Crazy sharp and seemed well balanced to this amateur.

i'm an expert knife thrower.

from the handle or from the tip, i can hit the narrow side of a barn with the handle or flat side every single time.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I made 5 years ago out of mild steel. You need them 12" min. length and weigh 1oz per inch. Google knife throwing and get instructions. Nothing beats practice. I don't throw much, walking back and forth to the target gets old. I wouldn't depend on throwing one at man or beast, too many variables.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

certainly not at a person.

combat knife throwing just seems too much like handing your weapon to an enemy for my liking. you might embed it in him in a vital area x number of times out of a hundred, but you only need to get stabbed once to loose your life.

recreationally, i love it, but then again the point where i get tired of retrieving shuriken is usually where i stop practicing and do something else for a week or two.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I take a fair amount of Grouse with a thrown stone.

For those that have kids, great way to spend "bonding time".
    Caution, be careful, may have an irrigate parent of a kids friends calling and asking "why is my daughter throwing axes?"
    Answer, boys will treat a girl with respect if they know the girl can throw a knife, axe and shoot.
    Also doesn't hurt to let the boys know that you own remote acreage, a 12 ga and a shovel.
    DD beat me when she was about 13, I stuck the hawk 21 straight times, she stuck it 22, still haven't heard the end of that one.

Funny thing is that when I'm throwing the "music" that Chevy Chase was humming as he was pitching golf balls, blind folded, in The movie "Caddy Shack".
    nananananana, nananananana and the words "Be the ball Danny, be the ball.
    Concentration and practice.

BYW, nice stick, Crash, good thing they still have a handle....handle match continues till you have a winner, 21 points, whether you have a handle or not.
    Oh, ya, try a playing card for a target.

LOL, OMG, WTF.........
    Interesting enough, as I was writing the last post, I hit the Google spell checker and found out the I had spelled "nanananana" wrong! I had wrote, "nananananaa".
    I can be easily entertained, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    certainly not at a person.

combat knife throwing just seems too much like handing your weapon to an enemy for my liking. you might embed it in him in a vital area x number of times out of a hundred, but you only need to get stabbed once to loose your life.

recreationally, i love it, but then again the point where i get tired of retrieving shuriken is usually where i stop practicing and do something else for a week or two.
    There might be times, but I don't understand throwing one's weapon away; hit or not. Might also be because I can't hit anything with the pointy end.

P.S. I've thrown a lot of BS in my life and never killed anyone with it (came close I think, maybe).
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

YCC, stick with your stick, my brother got real, real good with a small kids base ball bat, 'bout 24" long, as his garden rabbit weapon.(subdivision, busy body prying eyes, no chance for a pellet rifle).

I guess I can see where you are going with this,but I think that depending on what you were doing, would you be experienced enough to throw that variety of objects. I mean if you were hammering something and a Coon came up would you be able to hit it? If you were trimming some limbs with a 'Hawk in camp, and an animal showed itself would you be able to hit that? Unless you're hammer,'Hawk, and stick were very similar in length,weight,and balance , I think you would have a hard time using what was "at hand"
    I think what is more important if this is what you intend, is to practice with a variety of things of different sizes, weight, and balance, to improve on hand-eye coordination and accuracy. Kinda' like Sourdough picking up a stone and throwing and HITTING a Grouse. It isn't so much a thing about getting used to the same-same all the time,as much as hitting what you are aiming at. Sorta' like instinctive shooting with a Bow or Rifle. You "know" what will happen whatever it is.
    The brain is an amazing thing, No computer can match it when you think about ALL the information it processes AT THE SAME TIME. But really this Skill is no different than all the others we talk about here all the time. They all have one thing in common..... PRACTICE. As Cliche as it is, Practice does make perfect. Just pick up something,anything... pick a target of unknown distance... and throw. Then repeat the whole process on another target.Then repeat.......... and so on. I still think it is a matter of hand-eye coordination,and as much as that phrase is batted around, everyone seems to forget that it is the brain that does most of the work. I think if you do this enough, that ...eventually... it won't matter what you throw,you will be hitting the target more often than not. Even if you just stun an animal it will give you enough time to give the coup de grace.
    Last edited by pocomoonskyeyes; 01-08-2010 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    Oh, ya, try a playing card for a target.
    We had an 18 inch diameter piece of Cottonwood for a target and a half acre of grass behind it. That was plenty tough for us.