Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So who watched Apocalypse Man? and what did you think?

Default So who watched Apocalypse Man? and what did you think?

I thought it was better than those numb nuts who survived the night before. But it was just too little. This is one of those topics that 9much like our forum here) needs to be an ongoing thing.
    I know what hunts you.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Shallow. I can't help thinking of people for whom this is their first exposure to this subject. I see them sitting there saying: wow, I am 110 pounds over weight, I'll need some heavy rope.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-09-2010 at 09:17 AM.

Now I know for sure that the world is coming to an end. Sourdough is commenting on a current TV show. Quick! Everybody take shelter!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That is just so wrong. It's like God telling off color jokes. It's just not right.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I guess it was a different goal than I thought it would be.
    Bottom line seemed to be, find others?

So would this be y'all goal?
    I do agree with meet others on your terms.

As far as tips go, I didn't really have a problem with most except maybe using his flash light when there was a wreaking bar available....Unless he left it on the bridge?
    Anyway was interesting
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

nobody is gonna mention " this is not a persons house" or whatever he said?

i thought that would come up right away

Lots of advantages in finding others. Synergy, knowledge, protection, resources. You won't rebuild society by yourself.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Although is a good concept. I was a bit put off by his "Bear" approach. By that I mean, he always seemed to be running, jumping over stuff, taking too many physical risks. Example, Why in the H**l would someone dive into an elevator shaft to grasp 3 or 4 greased cables to make an descent? If you are alone in a survival situation, I doubt that there would be any advantage to running, jumping at the risk of getting injured (unless you are being chased by the Pink Bunnies). I do admit, I only saw 20 or so minutes.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I agree with Pal, and I didn't watch the whole thing.

He kept talking about having a secure place to stay, and be able to defend it.
    He also talked about finding other people, but seeing them first, so that you can judge if they are friend or foe.

When he made that comment, about that not being anyone's house anymore, and bashed in the locked door, I had to laugh.

What if someone was living in that house? Not being obvious about it. What if they had been watching him....running, jumping, hiding behind stuff, until he got to the back of their house, where he busted in the door.

I don't know about y'all, but I would have considered him a threat, and dealt with him accordingly.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Speaking of fuel amd diesel fuel in particular, There are many places to find diesel rather than make it. Any of the city or bus line compounds, most of them have their own fuel farm. Then of course there is the airport JP-4 (jet plane fuel) is more or less diesel. Since he has a car and batteries, why not wire up a spare electric fuel pump to pump fuel out of the tanks or tractor trailer gas tanks?
    Speaking of no one's home, what if it was booby trapped.
    And why send a blind message? when he picked up all that radio equipt., I was wondering, where is the speaker so you can hear if someone is responding. To add to that, why break the window on the drivers side? and why not grab a spare CB radio to put in the car???
    Just not very well thought out. I was under whelmed with Bear lite.
    I know what hunts you.

Also, advocating use of the sewer system for travel in what is apparently a minimal or no threat situation (he was running up and down the roads with out being "popped")is not a great idea. I agree it is good to be aware of, constant use confines you too much and exposes you to health hazards unnecessarily . Use of this type of "expert" does not do much justice to the subject. From what I gleaned, he has served his country admirably, and undoubtably would be a handy guy to have around, he takes too many risks for my taste. I may watch again for entertainment, just do not see very much of value being learned from it.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Blog Entries

Sounds like I'm missing some entertaining progammes.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Although is a good concept. I was a bit put off by his "Bear" approach. By that I mean, he always seemed to be running, jumping over stuff, taking too many physical risks. Example, Why in the H**l would someone dive into an elevator shaft to grasp 3 or 4 greased cables to make an descent? If you are alone in a survival situation, I doubt that there would be any advantage to running, jumping at the risk of getting injured (unless you are being chased by the Pink Bunnies). I do admit, I only saw 20 or so minutes.

This.

Way too many risks ala Bear Grills.

Oh, and I thought it was a 1 episode thing? There are multiple episodes??

I lost interest fairly quick. I thought the guy had delusions of ninja-hood. Made me think of paintball gunfights. The only interesting thing he said that I ABSOLUTELY disagree with is that no one will go to the Libraries! That is one of my first stops in an event such as this(was before the program even). I don't care what statistics he had backing him up.Maybe I just think differently or something.
    Anyone ever been in a sewer before? They might be different in a large city but the ones I've been in you can't move like that,if at all.You would have to crawl or duckwalk to move in them.

I just barely caught some bits last night after hearing about it by reading thru this thread. i don't want to jump all over the show without understanding what it's full intent is. Plus, I didn't see it from the beginning.

But, ....

Things that jump out at me, like pal said, is him running and jumping throughout. I think he may have bashed his head when jumping up and doing the ape hang to pull down that fire escape ladder. i liked the idea of sticking to the rooftops though.

Another thing, and your mileage may vary, is I tried using a bicycle air pump to siphon gas and the seal immediately failed. Gas went everywhere but in the container and the thing only pumped enough to get the air out before it failed. He looked like he was having the same problem, but they tried to cover it up. I swear I couold see it in his eyes and facial expressions. Anyway, I don't think those pumps are designed for liquids or solvents.

I could see trying to establish some form of communication, but the extent he went to seems like a waste of energy and resources. Siphoning what to me looked like a couple ounces of gas to run a huge industrial generator for 5-6 hours? I'm not so sure about that, and for the sole purpose of trying to charge a battery that he found lying in the weeds on cement. It's not likely that battery would be good. He's gonna use the security cameras to monitor the entire hospital for what? 5-6 hours?

The part where he tested the CB or scanner to see if it worked, what did he use for power to test it? The flashlight? I didn't get that part, but I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention.

Trying to find "Heet" and Lye to create the cooking oil fuel might prove a challenge too. According to his measurements, 1 part heet to 5 parts oil, you need one bottle of Heet for every quart or so of cooking oil. Hopefully there's a gas station nearby with a good supply, because it's gonna take a whole case, or 12 bottles, just to make 3 gallons of fuel. Driving that suburban or whatever with the 6.2 L diesel isn't gonna get him far. How did he end up going from a quarter to a full tank of gas? I sure didn't see him siphon, filter and scrounge that much. A whole tank in that beast is probably at least 20+ gallons, most likely 30 or 40. I didn't even see that much cooking oil in the vat he was dipping from.

I can't equate him to bare grills, but I would equate him to someone who tells you what should work without having actually proved it. I'm not a bare fan, but I think bare would fair much better than him in a real situation.

So, I gotta ask, you have already found you self a hide, layed in some supplies, and saw this guy running, sneaking, darting form doorway to door way, in out of sewers.

You just happened to be there covering your position with your scoped .270, and he was getting closer, would you drop him?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    So, I gotta ask, you have already found you self a hide, layed in some supplies, and saw this guy running, sneaking, darting form doorway to door way, in out of sewers.

You just happened to be there covering your position with your scoped .270, and he was getting closer, would you drop him?
    LOL...see post #10.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    LOL...see post #10.
    OOPs, Guess I missed that last part, guess we are sorta on the same page?

Blog Entries

Wow! You'd better move quick, H, being anywhere with 2Dumb is likely to get you into allsorts of trouble!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Yep......in that enviroment, it seemed like he was doing the very things that would get you dead.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"