Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking with a thermos bottle

Default Cooking with a thermos bottle

Ken has helped me out so much with legal stuff, I need to keep track of it so I can pay him back. I will be placing a 'score card' in my sig as a reminder.

DEBT:

Repaid:

Interesting concept - be very careful when cooking or heating food around materials like plastics etc as there is some evidence very bad chemicals can leech into the food. Even metals can be dangerous if they are not food grade.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

I'm curious if anybody has done this and if so, how the taste was?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

This is interesting. For those cooking for a larger family, I wonder if you could apply the same principle by adding all the ingredients to a 1 gallon ziplock bag and sit inside something like a 2 gallon Coleman thermos with screw on lid. Lot's of options here.

Another way of doing this is to mix cold then warm up in the morning. Here is a recipe I came up with for Muesli that I like a lot.

2 cups old fashioned oats
    2 cups milk
    1/2 cup applesauce (a single serving container is 1/2 cup)
    1/2 cup plain yogurt (a single serving container of yogurt is about 1/2 cup)
    1/4 cup honey

Mix all together and place in refrigerator over night. By the next morning the oats will have absorbed most of the liquids. It will be a little thicker than soup. It's an excellent and healthy way to start a warm summer morning. In the winter, just warm it up but I think it tastes better cold.

You can, of course, add dried fruits or flavored yogurt if you wish.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

We cook omelets in ziplock bags at camp. We cut up ingredients before hand and then everyone puts what they want into their own ziplock bag with their name written on it. Everything is put together the night before.

Then who ever gets up first brings a pot of water to a boil and then puts the bags in the boiling water for about 12 minutes. Open the bag and it rolls right out onto your plate.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRogers View Post
    Interesting concept - be very careful when cooking or heating food around materials like plastics etc as there is some evidence very bad chemicals can leech into the food. Even metals can be dangerous if they are not food grade.
    I've heard the same thing and would need a bit more info to feel it's safe cooking this way unless it's absolutely necessary.

The way I understood it, you aren't heating anything in the thermos, you're just putting the hot stuff into the thermos to keep it hot for a long time, which allows the cooking to finish. How is that any different than putting hot coffee, or hot chocolate in there? (As far as safety, chemicals, etc., goes.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

It's not. As you say, you are using the thermal retentive properties of the thermos to complete the job.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

It should work, a slow cooker is similar in pricipal. I would think you'd need to give the food a quick blast of heat to get it hot again though and it would probably only work with minced(ground) meat, large chunks may not cook properly?
    I'd give it a test run but I only have a glass flask.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

This guy sounds like he's used it plenty and even recommended the right thermos. i'd say go for it. It's perfectly safe if you use the thermos he recommended.

Interesting concept. The chemical people are mostly worried about is BPA, so I think if you get get one that is BPA free, then you'd be okay.

I would be really skeptical about putting anything double walled in a fire. To me, based on my experience, that's a recipe for an explosion. I placed a double walled cookie sheet on the grill one time and it blew apart at the seem. I would think as the air between the walls of the thermos heated up. the pressure would increase as well.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

when i'm in the woods, i often soak grains/beans all day in a bottle, to reduce cooking time.

i guess a well insulated thermos is the logical next step, if i only have to heat the water once.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Thanks for the update. Single walled should be no different than a tall, narrow pot.

I don't know. That stew sounds pretty good. Stew and cornbread on a call day is hard to beat.

Try using several layers. I use aluminum foil to cook in quite often. I toss in hamburger, potatoes, carrots and tomatoes fold up the foil and toss it in the hot coals. But I use two layers of aluminum foil to cook in. I use Reynolds Heavy Duty foil.

As for the condoms, I gave up carrying them for water storage some time ago. I carry several 1 gallon zip lock bags. They are much tougher and carry about the same amount of water. We also talked about breast milk storage bags some time back.

I also use the aluminum foil to leave a track print in my truck when I'm out. I place the foil on the ground and step on it, which leaves my boot print in the foil. I then leave that on the dash of my truck. If a SAR team has to respond they can at least see what kind of tracks I'm leaving. I picked that up in one of Cody Lundin's books. 98.6 I think.

Yeah. I'm pretty blessed. I don't get rattled about too much. I don't get excited. I just do what I have to do. I've always been that way. I didn't get too concerned when I went out there. I just pointed the business end in his direction and ordered him off my property. Nothing to really get excited about. Assess your situation then do what you have to do or at least what seems right with the information you have at the time.

sjj - if you have a retaurant supply store nearby or a Sam's, Costco type place - check out the heavy duty foil from them. It is quite a bit heavier than even the heavy duty Reynolds.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    Thanks for the info kind sir. I'll try the double. My purpose is to be able to boil water in it for emergency purification. I was able to do that in the past with one layer. I will try the double but I believe there is something different about this new foil. Doesn't hold as much water, but I have added some of the MRE pouches used to cook the meals. The do store some water quite nicely and you can add hot water and cook in them also. I've heard about the breat milk bags - but haven't tried them.

P.S. - the condom is the the super mini kit (the one in the shirt pocket).
    I saw this on the site that Poco linked to. (The essay contest, that he entered.)
    It appears that most foil, will no longer hold water.

http://bepreparedtosurvive.com/Don't...num%20Foil.htm

They did offer a great a good idea, though.

http://bepreparedtosurvive.com/Mini%...e%20Option.htm
    Last edited by 2dumb2kwit; 01-03-2010 at 10:32 AM.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"