Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Firearm purchase waiting period?

Cooling off periods? Why go buy another gun in the heat of the moment to shoot someone? If the guy already has a license to own a gun, wouldn't he already own one? Or do people get licenses just for kicks?

Some of the rationale given for legal gun ownership regulations just don't make sense.

If you are approved for a license that's all that should be needed to go in and buy a gun or ammo. It shouldn't take more than an hour to run the check in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    1. It's the principle.
    Oh yeah...
    When they say it's the principle, it usually isn't.

Just a well established observation, not my own. But I agree.

Banned
    Blog Entries

You just don't understand...........Look that is why you need a real huge "Mother of all Survival Knives". See you use the huge survival knife to restrain them, (Say to a wall or the floor) till the cooling'off has expired. Then blow the snot'out-0f-Dem........

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    You just don't understand...........Look that is why you need a real huge "Mother of all Survival Knives". See you use the huge survival knife to restrain them, (Say to a wall or the floor) till the cooling'off has expired. Then blow the snot'out-0f-Dem........
    Oh I understand, Sourdough!
    In fact this would be my personal choice of Mother of all Survival "Knives" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D99NHb6B03s

The point was...
    I've NOTHING to hide and I'm not in a hurry.
    If you are, then that's something I'd like to know more about.
    Call me nosy.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    The point was...
    I've NOTHING to hide and I'm not in a hurry.
    Call me nosy.
    I have nothing to hide either but the sporting goods store that I buy my hunting gear at is about 85 miles away. It is kind of a pain to go back in a few days. I'm pretty sure sourdough has about the same or longer trip to a gun shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    I have nothing to hide either but the sporting goods store that I buy my hunting gear at is about 85 miles away. It is kind of a pain to go back in a few days. I'm pretty sure sourdough has about the same or longer trip to a gun shop.
    I hear you.
    It is a pain in the a$$ but it has some higher purpose.
    Can't begin to tell you how many inconveniences I go through every day that have nothing to do with anything.
    However, I'm more likely to put up with bull if it benefits the greater good.
    Example: I wish they'd "profile" at the airport but since they don't, I allow extra time to get through and do what they tell me to do.
    If this system catches one just person, then it's one more than they would catch if they didn't have the system in the first place.
    Could the system be better? Heck yes! But for now this is it and I'm playing by the rules 'cause it doesn't cost me anything.

How long does it take for a cop that has pulled you over to run your info and decide whether to let you go or arrest you? It SHOULDN'T take any longer than that to determine whether you are a person that is eligible to possess a firearm. That my dear is the point. When it is in their favor it is super fast info. When it is for your benefit you wait,and wait,and wait and then you wait some more. Same with the IRS if you owe them you better have that check in the mail by the deadline. But if they make a mistake they make you wait,and wait,....

Basically it all comes down to the "Golden Rule" treat me the way you want to be treated,and vice versa.

Benesse - I really don't want it to sound as though I'm picking, but what higher purpose?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

In Mass you hafta jump thru hoops of flame and all types of other stuff to get licensed.
    Once your licensed you pay and walk out the same day.. No waiting period.
    Don't agree with waiting periods for people who are licensed and already own guns!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by pocomoonskyeyes View Post
    How long does it take for a cop that has pulled you over to run your info and decide whether to let you go or arrest you? It SHOULDN'T take any longer than that to determine whether you are a person that is eligible to possess a firearm. That my dear is the point. When it is in their favor it is super fast info. When it is for your benefit you wait,and wait,and wait and then you wait some more. Same with the IRS if you owe them you better have that check in the mail by the deadline. But if they make a mistake they make you wait,and wait,....

Basically it all comes down to the "Golden Rule" treat me the way you want to be treated,and vice versa.

You are right, of course.
    But aren't there bigger fish to fry? Is this really what you want to loose sleep over?
    What's the worst that can happen if I wait a few extra weeks to get a gun? Sounds like I should be upset about it, but can't figure out exactly why.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'm not in a hurry.
    Call me nosy.

BENESSE, Women have taught me to NOT be in a hurry.......Slow'man is a Good'man........

I can understand and even sort of accept a wait on rare occasions when the check finds something in your form that sets up an alarm. If you have filled out the form, you know that you have already answered the questions about criminal records, drug use, citizen requirements and have signed it to be true. In all reality, it you are found to be not eligible then you are breaking the law just trying to get a gun. I wish they would prosecute these people under the laws they already put into place.

You are right, of course.
    But aren't there bigger fish to fry? Is this really what you want to loose sleep over?
    What's the worst that can happen if I wait a few extra weeks to get a gun? Sounds like I should be upset about it, but can't figure out exactly why.
    OK let's look at it another way. Suppose you had to wait to get flour? or Sugar? COmputer? Car? this last one is the best one to use. You have a license and you have the money. You walk on the lot to buy your Dream mobile. They say we'll have to run a check on you and you will have to wait 2 weeks. Don't tell me people don't get killed by cars, without checking I'd say that more are killed by cars than all the shootings combined.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Benesse - I really don't want it to sound as though I'm picking, but what higher purpose?
    Yeah, that and "greater good" kind of bother me!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Don't feel like you're picking at all, crash...
    My feeling is that if just one certifiable loon (Ft. Hood, Virginia Tech.) gets denied a gun in the process of background checks , than I'm happy to wait for mine a few extra weeks.
    That's really all I'm saying.

Don't feel like you're picking at all, crash...
    My feeling is that if just one certifiable loon (Ft. Hood, Virginia Tech.) gets denied a gun in the process of background checks , than I'm happy to wait for mine a few extra weeks.
    That's really all I'm saying.
    That loon could have done even more damage with a beat up Jalopy,fertilizer and fuel. Yet those things are easy to buy, no waiting period at all.

I hear you.
    It is a pain in the a$$ but it has some higher purpose.
    Can't begin to tell you how many inconveniences I go through every day that have nothing to do with anything.
    However, I'm more likely to put up with bull if it benefits the greater good.
    Example: I wish they'd "profile" at the airport but since they don't, I allow extra time to get through and do what they tell me to do.
    If this system catches one just person, then it's one more than they would catch if they didn't have the system in the first place.
    Could the system be better? Heck yes! But for now this is it and I'm playing by the rules 'cause it doesn't cost me anything.
    Oh but they do,I have flown once,and will never do it agian,as I had to change planes in Charlotte NC going to and coming from Florida,at each airport I was in I was pulled aside for further special treatment while my son and daughter waltzed through each 'port with just the basic treatment,the difference?? They have blond hair,blue eyes and pale skin,I on the other hand,have dark hair/eyes and a slightly darker skin tone than they,just one of those quirky things that is common in those of INDIAN (as in NATIVE AMERICAN) decent,but enough to be "profiled" and singled out for futher examination.

Ahhh, the land of the free.......
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Err.. And how would waiting a week change the fact they were crazy?...
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowkey
    Cooling off periods? Why go buy another gun in the heat of the moment to shoot someone? If the guy already has a license to own a gun, wouldn't he already own one? Or do people get licenses just for kicks?

Some of the rationale given for legal gun ownership regulations just don't make sense.

If you are approved for a license that's all that should be needed to go in and buy a gun or ammo. It shouldn't take more than an hour to run the check in this day and age.
    No, in that case it is assumed the person has never owned a gun.

“In order for a waiting period to prevent a crime of passion or rage, several criteria must be met.

First, the person intent on committing the crime must not own or have access to a gun and there must be no other weapon available or acceptable to the potential offender.

Second, the person must have no record that would prevent him from legally obtaining a firearm. Waiting periods would only apply to those who were willing to submit themselves to a background check and could successfully pass. Others would choose another means to secure a gun.

Third, the potential assailant must seek to obtain the gun through a licensed dealer who would conduct the background check and institute the waiting period prescribed by law.

Fourth, some mechanism or rationale must cause the assailant to change his mind about committing the crime before the arbitrarily chosen “cooling off” period expired. One would have to assume that the inability to obtain the desired weapon – a gun – would result in the desired behavior, rather than further enrage the individual.

In other words, advocates of cooling off periods assume that an individual enraged to the point of committing a violent crime would simply change his (or her) mind if he had to wait to obtain a firearm, that such a person would not consider an alternative method or weapon to carry out his criminal intent and that once denied immediate possession of a firearm, the irate offender would not seek to acquire one through some other means.”

Source: http://www.keepandbeararms.com/infor...em.asp?id=1645
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Oh but they do,I have flown once,and will never do it agian,as I had to change planes in Charlotte NC going to and coming from Florida,at each airport I was in I was pulled aside for further special treatment while my son and daughter waltzed through each 'port with just the basic treatment,the difference?? They have blond hair,blue eyes and pale skin,I on the other hand,have dark hair/eyes and a slightly darker skin tone than they,just one of those quirky things that is common in those of INDIAN (as in NATIVE AMERICAN) decent,but enough to be "profiled" and singled out for futher examination.

Ahhh, the land of the free.......
    Well, you do seem a little dangerous