Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Firearm purchase waiting period?

RWC: Here are some links for you.

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-...0594--,00.html

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal...state-laws.php

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...654---,00.html

I would find it very odd if you HAD to have a pistol to have a CCW. Instead, the CCW would just allow you to carry it on you. It looks like MI is an open carry state, too. That sure gives you a lot more options when you are in the woods, which is about the only place I open carry.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by aflineman View Post
    That depends upon the State. Here we still have to pay for (and go through) the background check, even with a CCW. The State has figured that they can (and do) make much more money that way. I have had to wait a few days for things to clear also. Had one dealer tell me that if I did not pass the check in three days, he would give me back my money (less the background check fee) and NOT sell me the firearm. Said he could not afford to take the chance of a problem (even though the LAW says he can give it to me after a few days). I received my firearms a couple of hours later, but I won't buy anything from that dealer again.
    Anymore, I tend to buy/trade face-to-face and avoid the hassle.
    Man, don't say that, out loud. NYC will be blaming you for their criminals having guns!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    RWC: Here are some links for you.

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-...0594--,00.html

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal...state-laws.php

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...654---,00.html

I would find it very odd if you HAD to have a pistol to have a CCW. Instead, the CCW would just allow you to carry it on you. It looks like MI is an open carry state, too. That sure gives you a lot more options when you are in the woods, which is about the only place I open carry.
    Now if we could do something about the open container laws....LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

It's funny that you say that. When I first moved to Indiana it was perfectly legal to open carry in a vehicle but if your kid came into a bar to get you off to the pokey you would go.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

When I first moved to Florida they had drive through liquor stores. Not only could you buy a case of beer or your favorite bottle, but you could order a cocktail as well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh yeah? Well, when I moved to Indiana.......

Soon after moving here the law changed. Everybody could have an open container/drink except the driver. (yeah right). I don't think that lasted too long - something about Federal highway funds. Trust me - it is much safer driving in Florida now that drinking is not allowed while driving. Now, if we could just do something about the Q-tips.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Back to gun purchasing laws.......it still chaps my arse, that I can legally carry a concealed handgun in Va., but I can't buy a handgun from a gun dealer there.

There is a Va. dealer that I see at the Va. gunshow's that has Romanian T-33's cheap. I would like to have one, but to pay for shipping to a NC dealer, and the transfer fee, would add close to $100 to a $200 gun.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Man, don't say that, out loud. NYC will be blaming you for their criminals having guns!
    No, we're not THAT dumb.
    However, we expect a thorough background check if that means preventing one more certifiable nut from owning a gun.
    I personally don't mind waiting.
    A. I have nothing to hide and B. The world won't come to an end if I don't walk out with the gun right then and there.
    So I have to wait say, 1, 2, 3 weeks...what earth shattering event is going to take place that I'll miss out on 'cause I don't have a gun?
    Is an entire species of animals I wanna kill going to disappear during that waiting period? Is my life in danger from day to day where I need a gun for protection? I don't have those concerns in NYC but perhaps you do where you live. I can just be underestimating the dangers lurking out there.

It is interesting to learn how it works in other states or counties and I appreciate all the comments. Thanks for the links Rick.

We don't pay for it, well I'm sure it's figured into the price, unless we buy online, then we must get a local FFL dealer to submit the search for us and that can cost 25-40 bucks or so unless you know someone with an FFL. Then the search paerwork is faxed or mailed to the online dealer.

I believe we still have to submit to the background check if we have a CCW, but it pretty much comes back immediately approved.

Unfortunately, I was a dumbass as a kid and have a record, however minor it may be it haunts me to this day. It haunts me for work as well. I'm getting the impression that if the initail check shows any history it is put on hold regardless just to make sure nothing new has accrued and slipped thru undetected by the "electric eye".

I guess I just miss the old days. I went into Meijer or Walfart on my eighteenth birthday and bought a 10/22. Signed for it, presented picture ID and it was handed to me along with 500 rounds of ammo and a spare clip. no trigger lock, etc. Went back within a year and purchased a Mossberg 500 and a Winchester 30/30. 5 or so years back I bought a Mini 30 and a Remington 870 combo. They did the check and it came back immediately. The 870 was put on hold, but came back within a few minutes while I waited and expressed my frustration to the guy behind the counter. Thinking back, I had previously bought a single shot 12 gauge from K-mart and it was put on hold, and if I recall correctly I had to wait overnight to get that one. I've bought and sold other guns during this time as well and must not have had a problem because I can't even recall all of them.

There just seems to be no rhyme or reason to the wait or whether or not it goes on hold. My record hasn't changed in probably 20 years now, but it still haunts me.

I had considered going into the medical field, but was told my record might, would very likely, limit my chances of getting a job. It sucks! No wonder felons are likely to become repeat offendors. They can't get decent work and their rights as citizens are limited. It would be nice if after a certain time period this stuff could be dropped from people's records.

BTW, I'm still waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by rwc1969; 12-27-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    No, we're not THAT dumb.
    However, we expect a thorough background check if that means preventing one more certifiable nut from owning a gun.
    I personally don't mind waiting.
    A. I have nothing to hide and B. The world won't come to an end if I don't walk out with the gun right then and there.
    So I have to wait say, 1, 2, 3 weeks...what earth shattering event is going to take place that I'll miss out on 'cause I don't have a gun?
    Is an entire species of animals I wanna kill going to disappear during that waiting period? Is my life in danger from day to day where I need a gun for protection? I don't have those concerns in NYC but perhaps you do where you live. I can just be underestimating the dangers lurking out there.
    It seems that Mayor Bloomberg disagrees. He has spent quite a bit of New Yorker's money sending law enforcement (illegally) to other states to try and place the blame someplace.

http://www.nssf.org/newsroom/factsheets/bloomberg.cfm

While you may not mind waiting 1, 2, or 3 weeks to purchase a firearm --- I do. It has nothing to do with hunting - I'm not a hunter. It's not about personal protection - I've got that kind of covered already. It's about the Constitution of the United States. Many years ago, and several times since, I took an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution. I still live by that oath.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I agree with Crash. In this day and age there is no reason to wait 1 week for a background check if you have previously purchased a weapon. You are already on file. The two or three day wait, if I remember correctly, was considered a cooling down period. It prevented someone from getting PO'd, going in and buying a weapon, then using it to shoot someone. The cooling down period was to give that person a chance to re-think their actions and to....cool down.

It's working in reverse for me Rick.

But, on the bright side, unless I committed and got convicted or charged of a crime while sleepwalking unbeknown to me, I do still qualify for a CCW. I might just go for it now before they decide I don't.

The worst they can do is deny you. They might also keep a portion of the cost. If you want one then go for it. Then you'll know what you're dealing with if there is something there.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    It's about the Constitution of the United States. Many years ago, and several times since, I took an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution. I still live by that oath.
    Me too, Crash. In principle.
    There's still room for common sense solely based on the reality of what's happening now.

I agree with Crash. In this day and age there is no reason to wait 1 week for a background check if you have previously purchased a weapon. You are already on file.
    So what's the big deal if you need to wait a few days or a week?
    If you're clean, you have nothing to worry about.

WHAT are y'all talking about Deer season ends in 2 days!! I gotta' get one now or wait 'til next year!!

Actually, I disagree. If you believe in rights as outlined in the Constitution (not granted by it) there is very little wiggle room. Look at all of the stupid things said every day (usually by political and Hollywood types), yet nobody is seriously suggestion that their free speech be curtailed. As much as I believe that the Major in the Ft Hood shooting is guilty - I would not want to see anything but a fair trial. Rights are rights. Unless you are not entitled to the rights outlined by the Constitution, nobody should be allowed to infringe on them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

1. It's the principle.
    2. It's the inconvenience.

As a gun owner I'm registered. The weapon I'm purchasing is registered. There isn't any reason for a waiting period. They know immediately if I'm clean or not. If I've suddenly become unstable then no amount of waiting will update their records for that. If I commit a crime the info is immediately available. So I don't understand the need.

If you've never purchased a weapon before then we're talking about a steed of a different hue.

If you've never purchased a weapon before then we're talking about a steed of a different hue.
    Well, then paint me a different hue.
    I have nothing to hide and I'm not in a hurry.
    If that's a crime then I'm guilty as charged.
    Personally, I've got bigger fish to fry.