Thread: Gun Stock Modifications

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Gun Stock Modifications

Ok.. a couple years ago, my uncle was hunting in Fort Gaines and herd of feral hogs walked out.. these things are the epitome of pestilence down here so he commenced to shooting as many as he could.
    The terrain is steep hills and gullies.
    He made contact with the boar, apparently the alpha male. clipped him in the backbone about halfway.
    The boar comes roaring down one side of the gully, dragging his hind end, and up the other towards him.. out of bullets, he turns the butt of the gun and commences to bashing the boars head in.

we wound up replacing the stock with one of those fancy resin / plastic / whatever the heck it's made of. It's hollow on the inside and very loud.
    I wound up buying the gun and I want to do some mods. I'm looking for some ideas and solutions.

the shoulder/recoil pad is held in with screws. I want it to clip into place so that I don't have to carry a screwdriver to open it.

I want to line it with some noise damping agent to eliminate the hollow sound.

I want a small kit to go in to contain a few items, like a compass, matches and fat-lighter, and maybe a small first aid kit with just the basics (and stitches), and some gun oil and patches. I can make a nice buckskin or leather pouch to contain it.

the real holdup is figuring the clip-in stock end. Has anyone done this using something other than screws?

thanks in advance. I know you gadget guys got something that'll help me out
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

What make of firearm is it?

I know some manufacturers make snap on extension butts. Kel-Tec is one. Sounds like you've found a new business....survival butt plates.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm not sure on the clipping butt plate, Id have to fiddle with it in front of me. I use spray polyurethane (great stuff) to dampen vibration on microphone stands for my recording studio. That might work for you. If you found a container to fit in the hollow space then Foamed it, that could work. Put Vaseline on the edge / end of the open cavity of the butt and any were you might get the foam that you don't want. you could even mask it off with masking tape. Razor off the squeeze out. If you do the get the regular great stuff not the extra expanding.

I don't know what the cavity looks like, if it is clean no odd shapes, the inside of the cavity could be Vaseline smeared as a mold release. This could allow you to remove the foam plug to modify it for your needs. In the end I would use an epoxy to create a hard layer on the exposed end at the butt plate.

Well that is my thought, don't know if it is feasible.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

My 12g has the same set up with the Synthetic stock.I replaced the factory recoil pad with a limb saver a while back.Inside the stock is a verry small lip that the pad snaps,fits in.I don't think its enough to keep the pad there on its own.
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

gryffynklm.. thats some good ideas there.. maybe I can make that happen and just have an inner poly mold with clips.. might have to modify the butt-plate a little to make the clips work.. never done much with epoxy, but fiberglass... what do u think?
    you got my gears turning.. this may turn into another how to.

Rick. It's a Marlin 30/30 336CS.

stargazer, this one has a little lip too, but it doesn't hold, I tried. gonna have to be some better tension.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

If you foam the inside and put a box in there that can be removed, maybe just get a tight fitting slip-on butt-pad for it. I have done similar on one of my beater rifles and secured the pad with a loop of duct tape around the stock. Looks redneck, but works well with what I want the rifle for.
    The other thing I have done with a regular butt-plate (not padded) is use regular screws on it. That way I can use whatever "edge" that is available to unscrew them.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

"PIRACY IN THE BLOOD" Icemancometh's Avatar

YCC-you stole my idea (joking). Actually I was sitting in my hunting blind Friday night and had this same idea. I was thinking of some kind of stock shaped metal rail system that the pad would slide in to. This would allow access to the interior of the stock and wouldn't require any tools to get to it. Great minds think alike.
    ""What the hell you doin' with that lawnmower blade?" "I aim to kill you with it.""