Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: heya

Thanks, Rick. I understand what you mean about things can change, my little rule of shelter/water/fire/food is just a guide line; it will always be twisted depending on the situation. I also forgot to add our Poncho's up on that list (doing that after this reply). The meal-kit we have is a pretty large kettle (for boiling water), the cantine is just for small tasks.

I have looked into the purifier devices you described, but I don't personally know anyone with them and wasn't sure if they were worth the few hundred dollars that would be spent on them. As for the toilet paper and women's items, those would go in the compressing bag as a last-minute items. :P (We always have those stocked up, lol.)

I do need to make copies, for storage, of our personal documents. Those would come in handy in a Katrina like disaster, I would assume.

Also, all of your other ideas would be a great addition too! Thanks for commenting. (I will check that link out too.)

Blog Entries

I could have sworn I said hello before now. Old farts syndrome I guess.
    Anyway, Welcome!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I have an MSR Sweetwater purifier and it's the berries. A lot of folks swear by Katadyn. Both are good. The main thing you want is one that double pumps. That is it moves water on the up stroke and the down stroke. The length of the filter life is dependent upon the turbidity of the water but you can get a lot of water out of a filter and a lot of water in a short amount of time out of a purifier. If you get one just make certain you store your dirty water hose separate from your clean water hose so you don't cross contaminate. I keep my dirty water hose in a zip lock bag.

The large pot is just fine. I was thinking in smaller terms. Now you have to test the plan. You can do that by planning a week-end camping trip. Then simulate bugging out to start the trip using only your BOB. That means you can only use what's in it. That will let you see what is missing and let you stress your plan. It really doesn't matter if you plan to bug out to a hotel or the wild. Go there just as you would in a real event.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Anyway, Welcome!
    Sweet Winnie: They say the second thing that goes is your memory; I don't remember what the first thing was.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Now you have to test the plan. You can do that by planning a week-end camping trip. Then simulate bugging out to start the trip using only your BOB. That means you can only use what's in it. That will let you see what is missing and let you stress your plan. It really doesn't matter if you plan to bug out to a hotel or the wild. Go there just as you would in a real event.
    Yeah, that's what I was going to do last weekend. We didn't get out there as we planned though, as I stated in the other post, so we couldn't test everything. It was another challenge because I had never had to setup camp in the dark, after several thunderstorms (good practice). I tested several items in my BoB, but not everything. Some items I can't test yet, because of the season for hunting and what is allowed to be used.

I have practiced several things, like fire starting (with different methods from my BoB), in my back-yard 2-3 times a week for the last year. There is really only so much I can practice here though, as we only have a half an acre (in a subdivision) and only White Pine trees, lol. I also do as much research as I can, on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Anyway, Welcome!
    Thanks
    I made this post last year, but I just updated it with my BoB's contents, hehe.

Hunter63 saying , Hey, Welcome.
    Little late, been on the road.
    Trying to catch up...........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Hunter63 saying , Hey, Welcome.
    Little late, been on the road.
    Trying to catch up...........
    It's better late than never! Thanks.