flash light (s)
    first aid kit
    cell phone
    sunscreen
    bug repellent
    toiletries
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Might I ask What is the purpose of a 72 hour kit? What is the intent?

As the name implies - a kit/bag/tote/duffel that contains the supplies you would need to get by for 72 hours. Depending on what sort of things you prepare for, and the climate that you are in - will dictate what supplies go in it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Generally in a bug out scenario but could be used to bug in if necessary, I suppose.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

As Crash and Rick said the 72 hour kit/bag should get you through the Minimum time that it is supposed to take for the first disaster relief elements to srrive on the scene in the event of a disaster, IMO limiting yourself to only 72 hours in supplies is inadequate and you should have at least a 10-15 stock of supplies on hand. As Rick, Crash,Poco, hoosier,and PVG can attest to I carry "slightly more" that 72 hours worth of supplies in my vehicle.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Thanks for the definition.

I just added, combined and modified what was already posted. But, if I were making a 72 hour kit I'd make it just that, a 72 hour kit, and define whether this is going to be carried on person, in home or in a vehicle. Depending on the situ, the vehicle may be underwater or worse. I don't see the point of an in home 72 hour kit. Most all of us should easily have 3 days worth of everything in our home, except water. Personally, I'd make the kit light enough to carry on person in one package. If it were a 3 person kit then I'd make 3 kits.

I'd boil my water so I eliminated it from the list and added charcoal, filters and a funnel.

I wouldn't need to trap animals in three days so I eliminated snares. I added bailing wire because it could be used for many purposes as well as snares.

I eliminated stuff like sunscreen and signal mirror because it would be in my first aid kit.

I added black plastic garbage bags and painter's tarp. A humongous 8' by 20' or so roll weighs less than a pound and is quite small rolled up. It has many uses too.

I added fishing line and hooks because a makeshift pole/ reel could easily be made and catchin fish is generally easier than trapping critters. The weight and size is neglegible. It could be used to trap critters as well.

Here's the list

Food for at least 3 days per person (9 meals) I would include dry goods only. Beans, rice, flour, cornmeal, powdered milk, jerky, etc. In ziplok bags

2 litre containers, plastic- I would have 6 for 3 people
    activated charcoal
    coffee filters
    funnel

needed/regular medicines
    Bulk paper towels-this is your tp and everything else.
    space blankets
    sewing kit
    knives- 2 minimum
    100' rope/ paracord. I'd add thick nylon rope or clothes line and bailing wire.
    Glowsticks
    Solar/wind-up radio
    Duct Tape
    4 man dome tent
    painter's tarp- thin clear plastic sheeting.
    Blanket(s) Wool
    camp saw
    important info such as medical info. insurance paperwork etc. copies or on computer disc. in ziplok
    $200 in small bills
    extra pairs of shoes/boots and several pairs socks
    folding/small shovel
    compass and maps/GPS unit-xtra batteries in ziplok
    Black plastic bags
    pot/mess kit- 1 gallon pot/ skillet and paper plates, cups, silverware
    fire starting kit- 5 pak lighters in waterproof container
    signal mirror- this would be in the first aid kit
    extra clothing - seasonally appropriate-1 set each person
    flash light (s)- xtra batteries
    first aid kit- self made in a waterproof container
    cell phone- xtra battery
    Dishsoap or shampoo- 1 small bottle for all cleaning needs
    Rags/ towels
    Fishing line and hooks

I really like what both of you guys have done. I thing both of you are spot on. OS lives southwest of me so our climate is very much the same. Your suggestion of rescue tools, sjj, is most appropriate. We live in a tornado prone area and an area subject to severe thunderstorms so all the things you listed re: utility shutoffs, is right on the mark. And we are not beyond the reach of the New Madrid Fault so a substantial earthquake could impact us as well.

I like your multi-use approach RWC. That's some excellent stuff. I purchased a sewing machine bobbin to store my fishing line on. You can get a package of 3 from Wally World for a couple of bucks and they hold miles of fishing line.

Good stuff, guys!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I really like what both of you guys have done. I thing both of you are spot on. OS lives southwest of me so our climate is very much the same. Your suggestion of rescue tools, sjj, is most appropriate. We live in a tornado prone area and an area subject to severe thunderstorms so all the things you listed re: utility shutoffs, is right on the mark. And we are not beyond the reach of the New Madrid Fault so a substantial earthquake could impact us as well.

I like your multi-use approach RWC. That's some excellent stuff. I purchased a sewing machine bobbin to store my fishing line on. You can get a package of 3 from Wally World for a couple of bucks and they hold miles of fishing line.

Good stuff, guys!!
    Defenaite on rescue tools. I have some in my CERT bag, as well as a High lift jack, axe, shovel mounted on my jeeps roof rack. Plus a small winch that can be moved vehicle to vehicle as well as....... Well several of you have seen my jeep.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Trust me, folks. The jeep is a 72 DAY kit.

I know I'm a little late,but I had to comment on this one.If people are going to participate in a class on how to put together a 72 hour kit/or BOB,then I think it is safe to assume that the participants in such event are clueless about what they are doing.I envision little old ladies and stay at home moms attending such a class.I think oldsoldier should probably use the KISS principal when teaching his class.
    Let's take paracord for example.Most of use here love the stuff.However,I don't think oldsoldier will be able to instill the value of paracord to a group of old ladies and SAHM in an hour or so long class.
    BTW,oldsoldier keep us posted on how well it went.This interests me.I have thought about doing something like this at my church.It would be an excellent opportunity to teach and witness at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    I know I'm a little late,but I had to comment on this one.If people are going to participate in a class on how to put together a 72 hour kit/or BOB,then I think it is safe to assume that the participants in such event are clueless about what they are doing.I envision little old ladies and stay at home moms attending such a class.I think oldsoldier should probably use the KISS principal when teaching his class.
    Let's take paracord for example.Most of use here love the stuff.However,I don't think oldsoldier will be able to instill the value of paracord to a group of old ladies and SAHM in an hour or so long class.
    BTW,oldsoldier keep us posted on how well it went.This interests me.I have thought about doing something like this at my church.It would be an excellent opportunity to teach and witness at the same time.
    lumpy...be happy to let you know how it goes. So far he/we have about a dozen people interested in the class. Including a couple of local LEO's,

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

Good stuff, guys!!
    I also store thread in my kit, with needles. The thread is on the bobbin as well.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

This is a great thread, especially since my wife volunteered my services to teach a class on this very subject. Here are some of my thoughts that I have been thinking about for some time, and after having built several kits. I am not going to give a needed list because I think every individual person needs to assemble the kit themselves. They need to know how to use everything in the kit. They need to develop the necessary skills. I have built a few kits and have always felt them lacking. The biggest problem I have seen is that if I put something cool (like a knife, multitool, firestriker etc) in the kit that is very useful, I tend to take it out and take it camping/backpacking with me. So, now I buy multiples, one for the kit and one for me to use. This is the only way that I am going to keep a kit together. Also, I HATE the term 72 hour kit. I don't feel like putting a time frame on how long it is going to last. I would rather make a kit designed for long term survival. The kit also must be portable. That is the whole purpose of the kit. That is why I love the term BOB, which I first heard on this site (thank you to whomever came up with it). The name implies a portable kit that doesn't have a time frame attached. The help with the portability, I split my kit into 3 sections. The first section is what I deem MOST important. This is a small "essentials" or "possibles" bag that holds 10-15 items that I MUST have on me at all times. By separating it into a small bag, it is more likely to always be with me. The second section is just a large backpack with whatever I can get in to help with the small bag. This should be less than 50lbs. The third section is the vehicle section. This is whatever you can take with your vehicle. It compliments the other two sections and adds mostly heavy food and tools. Anyways, my class is on the 20th of February, and lumpy is correct about the planned attendees. My emphasis for the class would be learning skills to use the tools. I doubt highly that any will really listen. At least with my scouts, I can set them up to fail, in order to stress the importance of the skill, then teach the skill when they are ready to listen.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I coined the term, "BOB" a couple of ....... okay, okay. I can't even write it with a straight face.

I think you're on the mark, FM. The term 72 Hour Kit just kits a frame of reference that allows everyone to talk on the same level. How long your kit is designed to last is up to you and your environment but using that term let's everyone know it's not your survival kit or backpack that you're talking about.

My BOB is composed of gear specially designated for it. It also includes my pack, which is composed of module kits for fire, first aid, etc. My wife has a very comprehensive medical kit (it's actually a backpack) and far more than most would carry. But she's an RN and knows how to use the stuff. I've told her if she ever gets hurt I'll just have to drag her along just in case I get hurt.

It's sometimes tempting to take the cool stuff out of the BOB but it could mean the difference in surviving or not so it's off limits.

Great thread - just getting to it. Great info. I agree that if we're bugging in, we shouldn't need a pack or extra food, etc. However, an example of when you'd have to move out would be like Katrina, or tornado, etc. Some of those events might keep you out of your house for a few hours, some for a few weeks.

I, by no means, have a BOB in my truck. However, I have some stuff that comes in handy. My son was giving me a hard time about all the stuff I keep. Someday, he just might be thankful for it.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius95 View Post
    Great thread - just getting to it. Great info. I agree that if we're bugging in, we shouldn't need a pack or extra food, etc. However, an example of when you'd have to move out would be like Katrina, or tornado, etc. Some of those events might keep you out of your house for a few hours, some for a few weeks.

I, by no means, have a BOB in my truck. However, I have some stuff that comes in handy. My son was giving me a hard time about all the stuff I keep. Someday, he just might be thankful for it.
    Aurelius...... Bugging in is the best especially if you don't have a BOL to go to however IMHO EVERBODYshould have a BOB/72 hour kit. If something happens and you get stranded you'll be glad you did. A friend of mine drives a truck for a living, He never really carried much with him outside of clothing and bedding and such. I convinced him to put together a kit with food,water, a small tent,tarp, small (esbit)stove,fuel tabs, dehyds, a couple of MRE's and such. Not to long ago he was up in new england and got snowed in at a rest area. Luckily he had plenty of fuel in his truck to stay warm. But the rest area losst power not to mention stranded people had emptied the vending machines within 24 hours. He ended up stuck there for almost 60 hours. Since he took my advice he not only kept warm he had enough food to eat, he even shared with an elderly couple stranded there also. They had a motor home but for whatever reason no food? Anyway after that experience he is a believer and now carries enough supplies to last him for a couple of weeks, as well as adding a power inverter and buying a portable TV/DVD player and several movies just in case.

My point is YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT MIGHT..............