Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BOBs from Cheaper Than Dirt

Default BOBs from Cheaper Than Dirt

I do buy stuff from Cheaper Than Dirt from time to time, and mostly their pricing seems to at least in line with other sources of gear.

When I received a sale flyer the other day, and found these BOBs and Survival kits.

See what you thinks, but to me for the price, it seems that they are heavy into MREs, light sticks, camping showers, water bottles, and stoves?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/SEVENDAY-1.html

Also check out the 30 day one,wow, seems somebody is really trying to cash in on fear, or is it just me?
    Even referances 12-21-2012
    Not on my list of things to do.

What do you think?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hard to say what their motivation is Hunter. It's the end of the year and inventory will have to be conducted pretty soon so they may be trying to unload some stuff so they don't have to count it in inventory and pay taxes on it. The higher priced stuff is the stuff they would want to move to avoid taxes.

They may have also scored a good deal from the supplier for the very same reason and are trying to move it.

They sell a lot of different items in just about every category so I'd doubt they are fear mongering. Although, that's an interesting read with the Mayan stuff thrown in.

Just my .02.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Does anyone here keep MRE's in their BOB? I much prefer freeze dried or dehydrated. I do like the glow sticks though..I dont have any in my kit.

"PIRACY IN THE BLOOD" Icemancometh's Avatar

I don't shop at CTD anymore. Turned me off when they were selling Remington UMC .223for $30 a box. They used to have some good deals (years ago) but now everything seems to made in China, may just be me.
    ""What the hell you doin' with that lawnmower blade?" "I aim to kill you with it.""

I use A-Paks and freeze dried.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yea.. They definetly try to cash in on fears!... That being said they do carry some cool gear at decent prices.
    Even so, I HATE cheaper then dirt!!!!
    Just cuz I live in a communist state they refuse to ship to me.... And I'm not just talking double edged knives or armor piercing rounds ( both illegal in Mass.)
    ANYTHING even remotely dangerous they won't send here! ( including rifle slings, scopes, or pocket knives ) all legal!
    Hey I understand they don't wanna get sued by a communist state for selling illegal gear, but if I can buy a laser pointer from my local cumberland farms, why won't you ship it here?
    Geesh, all I can buy is boots and clothes.. No thanks i'll spend my money elsewhere!

Ok... Sorry..... Rant over
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

"PIRACY IN THE BLOOD" Icemancometh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Does anyone here keep MRE's in their BOB? I much prefer freeze dried or dehydrated. I do like the glow sticks though..I dont have any in my kit.
    I have 2 in my BOB. I carry a mix of the MRE and a couple of Mountain House meals, along with a few store bought items. Clif Bars, raisens, hard candy, etc.
    ""What the hell you doin' with that lawnmower blade?" "I aim to kill you with it.""

I carry a couple MREs in each bag along with a mix of other stuff.

When I read over the list of contents, it looks to me like they just tossed what ever they had laying around i.e. bunch of stoves, solar shower? etc.
    But no TP, cordage, tarping, 1st aid gear ......
    I sure I can and have come up with a better mix for $800 bucks?
    My are roughly bases on this:
    http://www.shtfmilitia.com/viewtopic...130&t=311#p957

$25 survival kit fits in a six pack cooler

QUAN. ITEM SERVINGS
    Food Items
    1 Knorr chicken and pasta dinner 2
    1 Knorr beef and rice dinner 2
    1 Knorr chicken and rice dinner 2
    2 Maruchan ramen noodle soup 2
    1 Idahoan home-style instant potatoes 4
    1 Idahoan four cheese instant potatoes 4
    1 McCormick onion gravy mix 4
    1 McCormick mushroom gravy mix 4
    2 Armour treat in metal can 2
    2 Armour Vienna sausage cans 2
    1 Star Kist tuna in foil pack 1
    2 Sardines in soybean oil 2
    10 Single serving coffee pouches 1
    6 Nestle instant cocoa pouches 1
    10 Herb-ox beef bouillon pouches 1
    4 Country Time lemonade pouch 2
    4 Bigelow herb tea pouch 1
    2 Peanut bar candy 1
    Free Salt, pepper, creamer, sugar pouches --
    Other Items
    1 Small sauce pan --
    1 Enameled metal cup --
    3 Canned heat --
    -- Matches and/or lighter --
    -- Water purification tablets --
    1 set Eating utensils --
    1 Pocket or kitchen knife --
    1 LED-type flashlight --
    3 Extra batteries --
    -- First-aid supplies --
    -- Aspirin, Tylenol, Unisom, Benadryl, and Advil caplets --
    3 Plastic trash bags & ties --

Back the survival truck up a minute. Where's the Spam and bacon?!

Actually all this does fit in a small cooler, but I split it in half and packed it in bags.
    "$25 survival kit fits in a six pack cooler"
    Cost is prett close, as well.
    Here is the orginal artical w pic's:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/yago104.html
    Some of the stuff, comes prepackaged (2 per pac or 3 etc.)so you do end up with more stuff.

This comments just show that a good kit can be had of less than $800.

Quote Originally Posted by Icemancometh View Post
    I don't shop at CTD anymore. Turned me off when they were selling Remington UMC .223for $30 a box. They used to have some good deals (years ago) but now everything seems to made in China, may just be me.
    Nope, it's not just you.

CTD can pound sand and they will NEVER get another penny from me, ever.

Agreed, they ONCE sold decent stuff at decent prices but that was many, many years ago before most people even heard of them!

Too many other on-line vendors out there that get my business.

Camp I use to keep mRE's But IMO their shelf life is to short for a BOB especially if kept in a vehicle. I have switched to dehyd's only they last for years.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Leighman View Post
    Agreed, they ONCE sold decent stuff at decent prices but that was many, many years ago before most people even heard of them!

Sorry But I disagree. I order from them all the time, I have had a bad order only once. I called them they immediately sent a replacement item and told me to keep the bad item. ( it was a surefire flashlight with a cracked lens. So I'll recomend them to every one. Sorry you had a problem!
    As for the ammo cost..... That's called free capitolism IMO
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    Camp I use to keep mRE's But IMO their shelf life is to short for a BOB especially if kept in a vehicle. I have switched to dehyd's only they last for years.
    My biggest problem with MRE's is the way I feel after I have eaten one! I like the freeze dried or dehydrated meals much better.

My biggest problem with MRE's is the way I feel after I have eaten one! I like the freeze dried or dehydrated meals much better.
    SOoooo... It's not just me then

I can say with authority that any MRE I have eaten were far superior to the potted meat like material in the C ration pack that was manufactured in 1943. The Lucky Strikes were a bit stale, as were the chicklets, but the potted meat like material........I'l take MRE's any time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

[QUOTE=hunter63;177939]I carry a couple MREs in each bag along with a mix of other stuff.

When I read over the list of contents, it looks to me like they just tossed what ever they had laying around i.e. bunch of stoves, solar shower? etc.
    But no TP, cordage, tarping, 1st aid gear ......
    I sure I can and have come up with a better mix for $800 bucks?

hunter, I agree I thought myself that's pretty high for what you get.

YOU are always better off building your kit from scratch to fill your specific needs and that of the enviroment in which you will be using the kit.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I can say with authority that any MRE I have eaten were far superior to the potted meat like material in the C ration pack that was manufactured in 1943. The Lucky Strikes were a bit stale, as were the chicklets, but the potted meat like material........I'l take MRE's any time.
    Man, how old are you? I have been told the same thing before from people who have eaten both. I still prefer the mountain house foods. I was told that the MRE's were designed for battle situations so there is an additive in the food that will constipate you. That might be the reason I feel like...well, the thing I cant do!

I do prefer the Mountain House (and other brands) as I think they taste good. Lasting a long time is key as well. That old C ration I ate (several of them) was when I was stationed In Guam in the 70's. They were probably just one step above the case of steaks that also had a date stamp of 1943. We were loading our food supplies for a patrol from the Submarine Tender Uss Proteus, AS 19. That one case of meat seems to have missed the first in, first out (FIFO) policy - at least since WWII. Now the cooks say that they did not use that case of meat ---- I'm not so sure.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel