Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I gotta get me one of these..........

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    I'll say it again, I find the video disturbing as I suspect many people do. Aerial hunts are nothing new where I live. Huge debates since day one and nothing turns the "average" person against hunting more than exposure to such videos. I can't see any redeeming value for public display - unless the desire is to disgust people and bring them to action.
    Thank you, you said it better than I did.

O.K, got me a chopper lined up, already got camo, now I need one one of these.
    Yeah I know, They didn't use one in the video, but hey, those boys shoot better than me, better eyes and such...............and y'all brought it up.
    This is next!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I am with sjj on this one!

I ask myself why these tow guys have to wear camouflage cloth and use an assault rifle?
    A wood master would be more apporpriate, as would civilian cloth.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 12-27-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Removed portion of post that flamed another member

Did it ever occur to y'all that I yanking all y'alls chain?

Besides DW says no chopper.............guess I just have to go back to my spear.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Please 2D, I'm not that D!
    As Rick said it's about the way it's done. The method?
    Shooting hogs with machine guns from a helicopter is a bit of an overkill, wouldn't you say?
    Get your jollies some other way, OK big boy?
    Well, aren't we quick to judge. If you have read many of my post, you may know that I haven't hunted, in over 20 years. To be honest, I didn't watch much of that video, because I don't like seeing that sort of thing, but I'm adult enough to know that in some places, that type of thing is a necessary evil. I may not like it, but I understand that sometimes unpleasant things have to be done. Not everyone has the luxury of being high and mighty.

It's easy to talk bad about someone, because of what gun they use, or what cloths they wear, without thinking about the "why" part. Sometimes people should think with their head, not their heart.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Sometimes people should think with their head, not their heart.
    The problem is when they think with neither.

No misunderstanding of your words sjj. Well said in my opinion.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Not to discredit what some of y'all are saying, but feral hog populations are extremely hard to control. I have over 20 years experience dealing with feral hogs and know that once they become established it is virtually impossible to remove them.

Sport hunting has been tried time and again with little to no impact on feral hog populations. The hogs literally cost farmers hundreds of thousands of dollars. They are also devastating to wild game populations (especially Wild Turkeys). With that said the state must have decided that extraordinary measures were needed to reduce or eliminate the hogs in this area.

Swamprat, in your experience is the meat put to use?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

There is a problem here, If you just kill feral/wild pigs/boars and leave them lay you are just providing a high protien and fat diet to the hogs you miss. This allows those pigs to grow bigger and faster. Further boars that grow up as cannibalistic and predominately meat eaters are reportedly meaner, more aggressive and hunt other pigs, wildlife of all kinds, domestic animals and people.
    I further problem is that like most wild animals the pig population is tied to available food, water and land when there are more pigs there is competition for these and fewer stoats are born. Kill a lot of pigs and you cause more to be born in bigger litters.Better to live trap them, castrate the males and kill most if not all of the sows you catch. Yes castrated males will still damage crops and root up fields but they don't breed and they take up space that would be filled with 10 to 15 new births if they died. A further benefit is that castrated boar's meat is better table fare.
    However they didn't ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Swamprat, in your experience is the meat put to use?
    Sorry to take so long to get back with you on this Rick, having to work for a living is a bi%^&.

The meat generally goes to waste just like most road killed deer or other game due to an issue in donating game to places like food kitchens, orphanages, etc. The state health departments stopped that practice several years ago. Along the same lines some free food organizations would not accept legally harvested deer due to potential lead poisoning problems. Unfortunately, unscrupulous lawyers and our litigious society have made it next to impossible to harvest feral animals and distribute them where they might be needed.

I do not know for certain in this case, but in most instances the main issue is to remove the hogs, all other considerations take a back seat. It almost comes down to what is best for everything. To prevent loss of crops and unacceptable impacts to the habitat and ground nesting species the hogs must be removed in the most efficient manner.

Thanks. I appreciate the response. I'm not surprised and as Hoosierarcher pointed out they become food for something even if it's other hogs.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Oops....I assumed that everyone saw this, to the right of the video, and would understand that it was not a hunt just for "sport".
    (Not that I would call that "sporting".)

This feral hog eradication program is funded by a group of farmers who are taking progressive action to reduce the devastation done to their crops by these animals. Each and every feral hog is estimated to cause $1400 in crop damage during its lifetime. As you can see this data in combination with the extraordinarily high and ever expanding hog population proves to be a very big problem. Through the support of the farmers of Haskell Co. and the efforts of Nueces Helicopters, LLC. the hog population is on its way to a more controllable state as well as a much higher crop yield for the farmers.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

BTW, sjj....I think you get points, for finding info on the subject, and for being honest. Give yourself one "attaboy".
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

I second that attaboy!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Make that three attaboys!

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    Thanks for the attaboys folks,

I would not assume that everyone clicked on the info link to the right to get that whole narrative - nor would I assume that everyone saw/read the opening flash narrative in the middle of the screen that said in part, "There is a house bill that is proposed but never went through this year that would have allowed helicopter hunting. Write your State Rep and get that bill passed."

From my perspective, the narrative that goes along with this video, including its dynamic music background and selection of action packed video appears to be a promotion for getting a bill passed to allow for aerial pig hunting.
    I guess I am dumb, in assuming that it is for population control, and not just for "sport". If it helps wildlife management I'm for it. If it is for "sport" then I'm not at all for it.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Well, at least we got thru that one.
    Lots of stuff going on most people don't know about, and the more exposure these things get, the better it is, IMO.

My intention from the start was meant as a sarcastic comment on this method of "Hunting" (no, I don't consider it hunting either, possibly a necessary evil, definitely not hunting)

Of course, when a few thongs started getting into a knot, I couldn't resist pushing it a tad.
    As far as the orginal posted video goes, may not be for everyone, but it does exist, is being done, whether you agree or not, it is a fact.
    Over and out.

Thanks sjj! The explanation goes a long way in understanding the video.
    Note to self: Don't get your blood pressure up before knowing all the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Thanks sjj! The explanation goes a long way in understanding the video.
    Note to self: Don't get your blood pressure up before knowing all the facts.
    See....you didn't think so, at the time, but my points were valid.....were they not?

(It's just that, at the time, we were talking about two different things. LOL)
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"