Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you carry nails in your BOB?

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Default Do any of you carry nails in your BOB?

When I was a teenager and raccoon pelts were selling for selling for $20 or better each here in the south an old gentleman showed me how to trap coons by using three nails. We were camped and fishing at an old oxbow lake and he had me drive real slow around the lake in a boat. He was looking for hollow logs lying along the edge of the water with one end in the water. When he found one he would look for a knothole in the log, then drive three or four 10 penny finishing nails into the knothole at an angle. Then he would drop a chicken bone leftover from the previous night into the log. He made a few sets this way and we came back the next morning. This lake was lousy with coons and if memory serves me right all but one of the sets had a coon. We motored up in the boat and Mr. Ross would hit them on the head with a heavy stick. The coons would not let go of the chicken bone, which allowed Mr. Ross to pop them on the head.

Now I know this is probably illegal, but in a survival situation a few nails in your BOB could easily provide a few meals if you had something to use for bait.

A couple dozen nails takes up less room than traps or snare and could be used for other purposes if needed.

Have any of you ever heard of this method?

Always have some Lee Press On Nails in the BOB.

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

I guess whatever works best for you.

I haven't heard of it before. Thanks for sharing. Nails could be handy for spears or even gorge hooks if you had a way to cut them down in size.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I used to keep a couple of nails in my pockets when crossing ice.But never thought of them used as you stated.
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.

I keep nails in my kits.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Nails are a great idea, thanks.

Haden't heard about coon.
    But,
    Story was, this was used to trap ermine, bore a 1 in hoe in a pine tree, drive in the three nails around the hole, at an angle, points into the hole 1/2 in or so.
    Bait the hole with some meat (?), the ermine would stick his head in and couldn't get out.

Highly illegal, and like I said a story I heard once, ermine not so good to eat. (weisel)
    I guess this could be used for squirrels (?) maybe.

I can see where a few nails would really come in handy for a lot of stuff in a BOB.
    I don't know about y'all, be I generally carry some in my pockets while hunting for fixing tree stands, place to hang bow, etc.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Never used nails, used sharpened green sticks for the same purpose. I can see how they would come in handy to carry. I keep a selection in my vehicles and on the atv pack. I load more than most folks mainly because I don't backpack. If I do walk I carry very little.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I have a half-dozen nails. I hadn't thought of using them for trapping. Thanks for the info.

Stargazer - I guess your reference is to help you crawl out if you fall through?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

whenever we had a bob it included nails.
    Come share my fire.

I've never thought of nails for the bob..I could make this same set with some wire and I wouldnt need to hunt up a hollow log but there could be many great uses for a dozen nails or so. Thanks for the suggestion!

You betcha, I keep nails in my kits,however, not for Raccoons,never hear of that before,interesting.

Mischief

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Always have some Lee Press On Nails in the BOB.
    That is so wrong!!!!!!!

I don't carry nails but I do have several screw hooks and screw eyes. They are extremely handy when building an engine powered snare. The engine being a weight, ie a rock, dead body etc.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    I used to keep a couple of nails in my pockets when crossing ice.But never thought of them used as you stated.
    Nails or spikes? I would always keep a couple of spikes in seperate pockets when crossing ice in Maine.
    I know what hunts you.

Besides nails I also include some screw eyes,120lb snap swivels and zip ties(w/mounting eyes)
    Mischief

yup i carry about 20 -4.5 in nails in my bob. no noticable weight added and might be useful
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Yes I carry nails, as well as an assortment of nuts,bolts and screws in my gear. hadn't heard of that version of trap but i haave heard of drilling a hole in a piece of wood dig a small hole put a bone in the hole and lay the board over it the coon will stand on the board to reach in the hole and can't pull his paw out while holding the bone and are easy to just walk up un and either club them or shoot it with a .22 short. Yeah I agree it probiblly is illegal now.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Wow!... what a bunch of great ideas on here, thanks for sharing guys.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Note, when carrying nails in pockets, take out of pocket before washing.
    Jambs up pump impeller.
    I telling you this for free, as it would have cost me a $100 service call if I wasn't able to fix it my self.

Still a good addition to BOB
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27