Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do any of you carry nails in your BOB?

I always try to make sure and have a few nails in my pack when I go out in the bush. Lots of uses
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

You take nails in the bush?, wow!,,,, you are one tough mutha!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    You take nails in the bush?, wow!,,,, you are one tough mutha!
    Maybe.

Maybe not.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

LOL! Now those would be handy for removing ticks and lice "In the bush"
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

A book from my youth,yes we had books back then,called where the red fern grows,tells of using nails to trap raccoons in hollow logs with nails.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways,bruised,battered,and totally worn out,shouting "Holy crap.....what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post

I don't carry nails but I do have several screw hooks and screw eyes.
    In my smallest kit I use a 5x7 tarp that is small for most sets but I use 3 nails to drive into fallen trees to hold one side of tarp to make a leanto. I like your idea using eye screws better and will be giving it a try. They should save weight, be easier to remove, and hold better. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mccaw69 View Post
    A book from my youth,yes we had books back then,called where the red fern grows,tells of using nails to trap raccoons in hollow logs with nails.
    Mine and my Daughters favorite movie and yes I have nails in my BOB for many reasons. Bait for this set can be as simple as a ball of tinfoil....coons are very curious!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

They use that method for catching monkeys in africa. They put food in a termite mound and the monkey will reach in and grab it. Like the 'coons' they won't let go, and their fist won't fit through the hole. Saw it on discovery I think.

Dang it! My wife has a similar device. She has a hole in the front of the fridge with a beer inside. I can grab the beer but I can't get it through the hole. I've worked for hours trying to get that thing out.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Guess I will putting a few nails in the haversack.

All the old timers, Kephart, Nessmuk, etc., wrote about routinely carrying nails in their packs for shelters, traps, furniture, etc. I never have done that, figured it's just more weight, and I'd need to carry something to drive them in with. I just carry paracord and some snare wire.
    Might re-think that, and add a few nails to the pack.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

I keep a few various size nails. 16d and below. Also I have some military trip line kits that have a few nails in them as well. Works awesome for snares along with a lot of other uses.

Isn't this how the kid caught the raccoon in Old Yeller to teach the dog how to track the animal? I think it was Old Yeller, or some very similar book I read in the 80s as a child.

funny enough, I remember reading about this technique in "where the red fern grows" as a kid.. you can toss anything shiny in the bottom of that hole too..

The only nails (16d and above) that we carry are for my bride's breakfasts.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by JasonCT110 View Post
    funny enough, I remember reading about this technique in "where the red fern grows" as a kid.. you can toss anything shiny in the bottom of that hole too..
    That's the book I was thinking about. I haven't read either in 20 or more years. So everything kind of blurs into one.

Wow, that takes me back to fourth grade. We had to read "ware the red fern grows". Awesome book. Due to the fact that I grew up in Long Beach California I never got to try it but always planned on it. I remember when I asked my Granddad about it, he told me that monkeys are trapped in a similar way .As far as "is it legal", a game warden here in Texas told me that I should look into the methods of take in the regulations and if the method is NOT covered there it is unlawful and I will get a ticket. And in the book, the bait was a shiny piece of metal.