Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zombie Survival

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    maybe we have different ideas about zombies, but the general view is that you need something capable of taking them apart. 22lr doesn't fit that bill.
    Nah, all you gotta do is damage/destroy the brain. The brain of the zombie is host to the parasitic Solanum virus, and that is what animates them. Destroy the brain, and no more animated zombie.

You might be thinking of those various "Return of the Living Dead" movies, the ones where the zombies are constantly calling out, "Brains! Brains!" Those movies are comedic spoofs, they don't portray real zombie behavior. Real zombies don't eat brains, because if they did, the Solanum virus would be unable to perpetuate itself in new hosts.

For more accurate zombie behavior, watch those "other" zombie movies, the ones directed by George Romero. That guy really knows his zombies.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Assuming a zombie break out were possible i would have prepared by investing in a deuce and a half with hillbilly armor a magpul pdrc a kriss and a mosin scoped and enough ammo and survival supplies the truck could take. i would also idealy be in uruguay or mongolia places with low pop. densitys.

maybe i'm splitting hairs here but we're talking about two different critters. the only similarity is the cannibalism, hostility and impaired brain functions.

if it's a virus, it ain't living dead. it's the immunologically disgruntled not-dead.
    Last edited by canid; 12-19-2009 at 01:28 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by brunorz
    Assuming a zombie break out were possible
    It's not a matter of if. It's a matter of when. I'm guessing 2012.

The zombie of viral fame is afflicted with Ataxic Neurodegenerative Satiety Deficiency Syndrome. However, that's just one cause. Radiation exposure is certainly a real cause as documented by the failed NASA Venus probe in the excellent documentary Night of the Living Dead. Personally, my greatest fear is from the little known, laboratory engineered, "rage" virus. I'm quite certain the reason we haven't heard more about this is it's all part of the government cover up.

The rage virus allows zombies a higher cerebellar function. As a result, they exhibit pack and hunting behavior and move too fluidly to be classified as true zombies. It's possible the zombies in the documentary 28 Days and again in the followup documentary 28 Days Later were actually rage virus zombies but I'm not aware of any conclusive effort to test them. By the way, you can't kill a zombie infected with rage virus the same way as "regular" zombies.

It's just a matter of time......
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well, I am going to group up with a decent size crowd and find a non-descript building with two entrances and few windows. Preferably this building will have a large freezer.

Maybe a Ready ice or other ice making facility. Which are usually warehouse type buildings that can be locked down tight.

Once inside and sure that building is secure, I will quietly dispatch the other members of my group one at a time. Then I will store their meat for nutrition and tan their hides with brains, brains, brains.

The reason I so regrettably had to dispatch the others is that invariable one of them will either become infected or allow an infected person in.

Tanning their hides is more a pass the time thing. As an out break that spreads that quickly will invariably be short lived. It will also allow me to post to this site, after the conclusion of the zombie outbreak, what I had done to improve my survival skills. I just hope that I manage my tanning material as it would be unfortunate if I were to wake up in the middle of the night screaming, "I NEED MORE BRAINS!!!"

(jotting note down) Don't link up with Batch during next Zombie apocalypse.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    (jotting note down) Don't link up with Batch during next Zombie apocalypse.
    If you do...better shoot first!

Well, you know if people would just learn a lesson from the previous movies I wouldn't have to secure my area in such a manner.

But, you've seen the movies. They always somehow manage to screw you up.

It's the music. They never listen to the music. If creepy music is playing be alert!! How tough is that?

Well in the game Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 the people where infected by a mutated version of rabies and turned into zombies. And when have video games ever not been factually accurate?

The nice thing with L4D is that you can train yourself on how to kill off zombies, and also you get to play the infected (zombies) so in real live if you ever get turned into a zombie you will already know how to take care of those pesky humans.
    If you light a fire for a man he is warm for a day, but if you light that man ON fire he is warm for the rest of his life.

Well, great. One more thing to worry about. I don't suppose there is an option in this game that would allow you to train to kill Zombies AND someone that you linked up with? There's always the possibility that whoever you link up with might also want to kill you and tan your hide. So you need to be alert to that, too. And pay attention to the music!

Banned

You folks fail to notice that my plan would work with any "strain," variety, species, whatever you want to call them, of zombie comes after you.
    To flesh out what I posted before which will also give you some how to and tactics.
    The zombies chase you, you lead them into a preselected alley You have narrowed the alley at one point with two refridgerators filled with Quikcrete. One placed on each side of the alley to place the norrow passage in the center. In front of each fridge is placed a metal garbage can on it's side with the top pointed toward the approaching zombies. Each trash can contains from bottom to top a steel plate 1 pound of symtex in a shaped charge to send the explosive energy away from the steel plate. Then several belts of finishing brads(nails) from a brad gun, linked end to end then rolled up until the roll fits just snugly in front of the symtex charge. Then several glass jars filled with high octane gasoline, powered soap and styrefoam packing peanuts. Then the lid which is duct taped into place. A whole drilled into the side near the bottom in where the the blasting cap is inserted into the symtex and the wires to the detonator are fed back along the small gap between the wall and the cement filled fridges. Above this section of alley there are fire escapes on each side and boards are laid so that they are across the gap and on those are placed several gallon jars fulled with the gas, soap and foam peanuts. When the charges below go off the jars will fall from their precarious perch above. Back at the entrance of the alley there is a similar arrangement of fridges and trash cans facing toward those further in so that the zombies get it from front and back. You set the charges off from the roof directly above the re-killing area. You can drop more napalm and chainwrapped symtex filled pipe bombs. Anything that "lives" through the firestorm should be fairly easy to deal with. This type of operation would be easier with a group; but it could be pulled off by an individual if he had a day to prepare and few boxes of 5 hour energy shots.
    Another thought occurs to me......Raiding the local convinience stores of their supplies of Bubblicious might give you the currency you need to get the aliens to help you fight the zombies.

There are two problems with your plan. At least as I see it. 1. I can't get symtex. If you have some to spare then I'm certainly open to receiving some. 2. All of the packing peanuts that I receive have already been shoved up the shipper's ... um ... tailpipe. Man I hate those things!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    I would be very happy with an 870 Remington Tatcial shotgun. For get the folding stock - I want a solid synthetic that can be used for head butt.
    Should also work for the "Machines", or so Sara Connors would have us to believe.............
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Ok... Listen... Symtex = ok... Yeah blowing up zombies wil stop em..

But napalm??... With all do respect I think you got most of your info from books and google searches
    Try actually getting out there and trying theses tactics.. Geesh... Armchair (zombie) survivalist. If you practice you (zombie) survival skills, when you find yourself in a real (zombie) survival situation you'll have the experience to know what really works and how to do it rather than just read about it.
    Hehehe
    You see napalm will eventually burn them to a crisp.. But zombies don't feel pain... Before the muscles have burnt off they would move all around spreading the fire....
    If dispatching a zombie with a machete sounds tough, imagine trying to do it while the zombie is 2000 degrees and on fire.
    I applaud the fact that you wanna help, but please don't give advice that you haven't tried... You could inadvertently get someone killed who tried your zombie fighting tactics thinking they were tried and true.
    Hehehehehe

Lol..... Zombies
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Oh no, here we go... This is degrading into another one of those traditional zombie fighter/ sport zombie fighter vs reality based zombie fighter discussion.

Well, Nightshade is correct that you do have to practice. Check Craig's List locally for anyone needing help fighting low numbers of Zombies. I know this is a bit specialized but if you can find someone needing help fighting Zombie pygmies, you could start small and work your way up. Especially helpful if you are a newby.

As for the idea of using a lightsaber.............. Pure GENIUS!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.