Thread: 'boo knives

Default 'boo knives

i had some scrap left over after cutting down some bamboo for a bow backing, so i decided to make some blowgun darts and one of these:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

it sliced an unripe grapefruit up neatly and with considerable ease.

all you need to do to get a fine edge on it is to cut it along the inner [soft side], allowing it to split, leaving a bevel with the surface of the rind at the blade's edge.
    Last edited by canid; 12-16-2009 at 10:35 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

That's pretty cool.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

that is way cool, and thanks for the head's up on the zombocalypse.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

I have it on my Office Calendar with a 48 hour reminder. I want to get out of town in plenty of time.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

we would teach that during the jungle survival course. The nastiest cut i have ever gotten was from bamboo as was the worst splinter.
    I know what hunts you.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

that's pretty awesome! I know several places where that stuff is taking over and on my next outing I will be giving this a try. Thanks CanID!!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

a demonstration on unripe grapefruit:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I"m waiting. When does the demonstration start?

Okay....I wonder if you could do the same thing with oak or hickory. Hmmmm.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

i'm sure you could, but i imagine it would be difficult to get an edge that sharp, and i think it would soften up just about as soon as it got wet.

the silica rich rind on 'boo is hard as nails. while not durable by metal knife standards, i'm not sure i could think of better organic material for such edge sharpness.