Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting hesitation

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default Buck Fever

[QUOTE=Old GI;182121]Hunting hesitation????? And I thought Dross meant "Buck Fever"! Oh nevermind.

Reminds me of taking a friend bow hunting from a tree stand. He was a good shot at targets with his Browning recurve but at about 15yds and a perfect shot he pulled the string back about 2" and released. The arrow didn't make it but the deer got the message.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Thumbs up Wow!!

Lots of good posts here.

I've been a hunter since birth! LOL! Same as my father before me and his father before him and so on! Hunter, fishermen, trappers we come from a long line of such men.

I kill 90% of the meat we eat. I think no more of shooting a deer than most people think of picking up a couple of T-bones and rib-eyes from the super market.

I do not eat everything I kill, I went through that phase and decided I didn't want to eat crow and coyotes and other such critters. If a mouse or rat enters my kitchen I kill him but I don't eat him!

I think the camera thing should be done in the off season for two reasons. First it would show respect to other hunters and maybe not mess up their hunt. Second it would be safer for you as the camera man. LOL!

I agree with trax about finding a safe experienced hunter to tag along with. I'd go a step further I'd look for a mentor someone who has strong ethics as well as safety practices.

I myself have taken people under my wing and taught them a lot about hunting and the outdoors in general. After making a few trips you will know if it's something you like or dislike.

As I've said before I am a long time hunter, I don't appoligize for it I'm a predator and I enjoy making a clean kill.

After 45 plus years of hunting I've found that a quick clean kill makes for a much better quality of food. Just look at the practice of a good slaughter house they make the kill on animals after they have settled down a day or two not on the first day they are brought into the slaughter house. It makes a difference in the meat!

But I wouldn't worry about not being macho or being a wuss. There are many jobs necessary to make it if the SHTF! You will fit in there somewhere one of your allies can be a good hunter!

~HF~
    Last edited by Huntinfool; 01-12-2010 at 09:36 PM.

Good thread!

Neither of us has ever hunted I can fish and clean a fish etc.
    My husband has said that he probably wouldn't be able to kill an animal.
    Other time he thinks he could if we needed to but there is a lot more to it. Knowing how to gut it safely etc. Where to aim when shooting it.

At some point I would at least like to have him help one of his friends gut one or something. If he goes then I could tag along too.

I could probably handled some small trapped game. Not sure what I would do with a big deer. It's just a matter of knowing how to prepare it.

Definitely a weak point for us!
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

It's definitely a good idea to go that way cowgirl, tag along with someone who knows how. We've had explanations here and there's more than one way that's acceptable for sure, but this is definitely one of those things that's better learned hands on. You'll probably be surprised at how easy basic gutting and skinning is once you get used to it.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Cowgirl - You might see if there are some processors in your area. Maybe some elk farms that do processing. See if they will let you watch how it's done. It isn't the same as doing it but you have to start somewhere. You could even volunteer if you want to learn how.

And tagging along with someone is an excellent idea if you have someone to go with.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    It's definitely a good idea to go that way cowgirl, tag along with someone who knows how. We've had explanations here and there's more than one way that's acceptable for sure, but this is definitely one of those things that's better learned hands on. You'll probably be surprised at how easy basic gutting and skinning is once you get used to it.
    Yeah, I've read a lot of posts and things so I have the basics in my head at least. I think starting big as with a deer is just intimidating because it's a larger animal. Definitely would be good to atch or help someone.

When I got the squirrel in my trap last week my husband jokingly asked if it was for dinner. I wouldn't have gone that route becuase I didn't know how long it was in the trap before it froze to death. But I did consider skinning it and gutting it for practice. But it was late in the day, freezing cold and the thing was frozen solid.

But maybe next time.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

it would be much easier to do a squirrel or rabbit first. Not as big a mess and you can get the basics down. The thing I do when dressing an animal is just not think about it. If you think about it you can psych yourself out pretty easy. The hardest part with a deer is reaching elbow deep into that warm, wet body. It was kinda freaky my first time, but now I just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    it would be much easier to do a squirrel or rabbit first. Not as big a mess and you can get the basics down. The thing I do when dressing an animal is just not think about it. If you think about it you can psych yourself out pretty easy. The hardest part with a deer is reaching elbow deep into that warm, wet body. It was kinda freaky my first time, but now I just do it.
    the only thing that might get to me would be the smells I think. But I'm not too squeamish about things so I think I'd be OK after a time or two.

It's not fun being up to your elbow in a raw turkey at Thanksgiving either!
    Sarge47

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlup View Post
    ...It's not fun being up to your elbow in a raw turkey at Thanksgiving either!
    Man, some people just don't seem to know what fun is...
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlup View Post
    the only thing that might get to me would be the smells I think. But I'm not too squeamish about things so I think I'd be OK after a time or two.

It's not fun being up to your elbow in a raw turkey at Thanksgiving either!
    Unless you puncture the stomach there is very little smell. Cleaning a small game animal is very different than cleaning a deer IMO. If you dont get squeamish and getting blood on you isnt a problem either than you will have no troubles with any field dressing job. It is a good idea to watch someone who has done it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Unless you puncture the stomach there is very little smell. Cleaning a small game animal is very different than cleaning a deer IMO. If you dont get squeamish and getting blood on you isnt a problem either than you will have no troubles with any field dressing job. It is a good idea to watch someone who has done it first.
    Fun for the whole family!

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Fun for the whole family!
    Yeah, leave the Monopoly board in the closet kids...were gutting tonight!
    Last edited by Camp10; 01-16-2010 at 08:44 AM.