Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beware of dog signs

Default beware of dog signs

hello everybody,

i put up a few beware of dog signs although my dog is still a puppy.
    i thought it would put me ahead of the game.

then, a friend of mine said i shouldnt have the signs up at all.
    the way he put it is that if my dog were to bite a person that the signs would, in a way, admit that i knew the dog was dangerous.

i was always taught that if you had a dog you put up the signs.

id be really interested in what everybody thought.

Ken, id love to hear your initial thoughts.

thanks everybody,

I never put up any signs until a new family(renters) moved in next door, with unruly rug rats..
    I did it to cover my a$$, they have been warned.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bladen View Post
    hello everybody,

i put up a few beware of dog signs although my dog is still a puppy.
    i thought it would put me ahead of the game.

then, a friend of mine said i shouldnt have the signs up at all.
    the way he put it is that if my dog were to bite a person that the signs would, in a way, admit that i knew the dog was dangerous.

i was always taught that if you had a dog you put up the signs.

id be really interested in what everybody thought.

Ken, id love to hear your initial thoughts.

thanks everybody,
    Keep the signs up - your friend is wrong. Warning signs are just that - they won't serve as an "admission" that your dog is dangerous.

Many jurisdictions still adhere to the "one free bite" rule. Some jurisdictions, state and local, have designated certain breeds as "dangerous" and have either banned them or established strict requirements regarding their care and containment.

You may also want to check with your insurance carrier to determine whether or not your policy requires a rider for your dog's breed.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

The Minnesota dog bite statute is as follows:
    Minn. Statutes Annotated, Section 347.22: Damages, owner liable.

If a dog, without provocation, attacks or injures any person who is acting peaceably in any place where the person may lawfully be, the owner of the dog is liable in damages to the person so attacked or injured to the full amount of the injury sustained. The term "owner" includes any person harboring or keeping a dog but the owner shall be primarily liable. The term "dog" includes both male and female of the canine species.
    Minnesota courts have applied the statute in a manner most favorable to dog bite victims. It has been interpreted as an absolute, strict liability statute. Comparative fault is not permitted as a defense. Seim v. Garavalia (Minn. 1981), 306 N.W.2d 806, 810; Lewellin v. Huber, 465 N.W.2d 62 (MI 1991). As the court stated in Lewellin:
    [L]iability is absolute. It makes no difference that the dog owner may have used reasonable care; negligence is beside the point. Past good behavior of the dog is irrelevant. Neither the common law affirmative defenses nor statutory comparative fault are available to the defendant dog owner. (The owner does, however, have the defenses of provocation and failure of the injured person to conduct himself peacefully while in a lawful place.) Whoever keeps or harbors the dog is subject to the statutory liability for the "full amount of the injury," and the dog's owner remains at all times primarily liable.
    http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/legal_ri.htm#One-Bite states
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

I've replayed that scene so often I wore out the videotape.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

As a former meter reader I can tell you that I am all for dog owners letting people know that there is a dog in the yard. That said...I've never hung a sign for the dogs I have. My dogs are harmless (a bassett hound and a corgi) so I would need a beware of owner sign instead!

Use these signs!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by xj2000; 12-11-2009 at 10:14 PM.
    BEND OVER - Here comes the "change"

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders." - Ted Nugent

attacks or injures any person who is acting peaceably in any place where the person may lawfully be
    Yeah, but ain't he putting signs up to warn people that "unlawfully" enter his property?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Yeah, but ain't he putting signs up to warn people that "unlawfully" enter his property?
    The mail man? The pizza delivery guy? The.........
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I was thinking back yard versus front yard or in house versus front yard. If your delivering the mail to my house through the back door. The dog ain't really your biggest problem!

Blog Entries

My big dog Bandit (RIP) never ever even growled at a person until a teenager climbed over the dog yard fence in an attempt to enter my house through the doggy door into the garage. Later that night when I got home and opened the garage door there was this very bloody person huddled in a corner of the garage with Bandit sitting in front of him. I called the police and an ambulance then asked the kid if he'd seen the "Beware of dog" signs on the dog yard fence. He said yes but the dog acted friendly and didn't even growl. He said Bandit followed him through the doggy door into the garage then attacked him. The kid took over 100 stitches and will be scared for life. It never went to trial. One of the responding officers was a K-9 officer and he rewarded Bandit with many doggy treats. Bandit had never been trained to guard or attack. The K-9 officer said any dog is capable of bitting therefore "Beware of Dog" signs are always a good idea.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Here's my favorite:

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Having had a job that required me to be inside people's homes I can assure you that any dog is capable of biting. The smaller they are the worst they are. I guess they have a Napoleon complex or something but Chihuahuas are some of the worst. I was fortunate to have never been bit but I attribute that to carrying doggy treats, dog stop, being lucky and being a pretty good judge of dogs.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The smaller they are the worst they are.
    That's a good thing to remember if you meet a guy who's, say, 5'7½" tall.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sarge, thats the sign my neighbor put up all around his yard, which is enclosed in a 6' high fence... nuff said!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

I'd say as long as you keep your dog under control you'll have nothing to worry about.

The only dogs that bite peole are ones that are trained and used legally to do so, or ones that are not kept under control/ properly trained or restrained by the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by RWC
    The only dogs that bite peole are ones that are trained and used legally to do so, or ones that are not kept under control/ properly trained or restrained by the owner.
    I can probably count on one hand the number of folks that told me, "Careful, that dog will bite." On the other hand, I've run into literally thousands that said, "Oh, he/she won't bother you." All the while they are tearing chunks of rubber out of the truck tires. Dogs don't bother their owners. But let a stranger come into their turf and all the rules change. You just have to know that going in.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've heard that before, too. From his wife I think.