Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: chop the pole

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Program tłumacz języka, a następnie skopiować i wkleić.
    Dziękujię bardzo.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

You guys must have broken keyboards. Either that or your typing is just really bad.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default Good One

Quote Originally Posted by teamgreen View Post
    Although my thread was hijacked, most likely because of the humorous title, I found my answer. "Chop the pole", not any pole, telephone or power pole if you are lost. Respective company should be there within a few hours to repair problem.

Not in the Eastern US. I can truthfully say you best have a tent plus food for several weeks. Unless the cable(telephone) is cut it can lay on the ground for years. Telephone maintenance splicers NEVER go in the woods out of sight of their truck.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    As a lineman I've got to say that is very bad advice! The chances of you being "lost" near a distribution circuit is slim. The pole you would be hacking down would probably be a transmission pole and the voltage would be at least 34Kv but more likely 115 Kv or 345Kv or higher. That voltage going to ground looks like a bomb going off, whats more, the step voltage could be deadly out for quite a distance. It gets better because dispatch will "shoot" the line after it shows a fault and if you are still in the area you could take another shock. Yeah, you might get found but it might not be in the condition you would like to be found.
    Pretty much my thoughts also. Not to mention the fact that many line crews can be on the unsympathetic side when they find out that you cut the line down. Nothing says they have to give you a ride home. I would more likely to just point you in the right direction and tell you to scram. (Sorry sir, I am not allowed to take noncompany personnel in my vehicle. If you walk that way about 50 miles, you should find the road).
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

I wonder how long it would take to cut through a pole with a SAK?

I have a friend that owns a telephone pole in town.She hit it with her car and the pole snapped.The broken piece just stuck in the ground supported by the wires.The electric company billed her insurance for its replacement.I tell Kate she should charge people for putting up yard sale signs on her pole.
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Dziękujię bardzo.
    You're welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    I wonder how long it would take to cut through a pole with a SAK?

I have a friend that owns a telephone pole in town.She hit it with her car and the pole snapped.The broken piece just stuck in the ground supported by the wires.The electric company billed her insurance for its replacement.I tell Kate she should charge people for putting up yard sale signs on her pole.
    Yard sale signs and the people that nail them on utility poles should be fined and
    beaten severely about the head. I always enjoyed picking my way with hooks, not to mention a good chance of falling
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Did this "wilderness survival instructor" tell you how you were supposed to fell the power "pole"?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Did this "wilderness survival instructor" tell you how you were supposed to fell the power "pole"?

C'mon. That's a no-brainer.

Hint: You can do it with a length of paracord and two sticks.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Coot
    Telephone maintenance splicers NEVER go in the woods out of sight of their truck.
    Unless it's to pick mushrooms or blackberries. And if you see a splicer headed to the woods with this month's issue of the IBEW Journal.....don't ask.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Wow! 50 posts and only one serious response. Is that a record?

I think if the pole was wooden it might serve many purposes. Besides catchin the forest on fire, no need for a bowdrill here, and bringing water, eventually, from the fire dept/ forest service.. Maybe it has ceramic insulators that could be chipped into arrowheads/ spearheads. etc. The wire and/ or insulation might make excellent cordage too. Any metal pieces could possibly be ground to a point or used as hooks/ sinkers for fishing. The pole itself could be split and small pieces/ splinters would make great shafts for spears. Maybe the preserving pitch could be heated/ scraped out of the pole and used as glue, etc....

Not to mention all the critters that would be making haste to get out of the burning forest. You could set up snares and probably just club em as they ran for their lives confused by the smoke and flames.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    Yard sale signs and the people that nail them on utility poles should be fined and
    beaten severely about the head. I always enjoyed picking my way with hooks, not to mention a good chance of falling
    I agree. Always seemed the worse ones were on the corner of the lot, over a durned picket fence.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    Wow! 50 posts and only one serious response. Is that a record?
    Obviously you have not visited the 2D2K vs Ken thread lately.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Obviously you have not visited the 2D2K vs Ken thread lately.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by AFLineman
    I agree. Always seemed the worse ones were on the corner of the lot, over a durned picket fence.
    That has a pitbull that, of course, never bites.

Everyone that puts a nail in a wooden pole should be forced to climb it. They'd gain a new found respect in no time.