Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Scavenge Fuel

To be continued
    Last edited by sjj; 10-22-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Another "duuuh' moment for me. I never gave this subject much thought. Looking forward to seeing suggestion.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Well I guess I'm in the same boat. Seems like a very reasonable thing to consider....considering.

Try this YouTube. I think if you keep an inverter in your vehicle, which I do, this could work very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp3Sl9VUcN0

Or a battery operated drill and charger.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

sjj - I too have the small diameter syphon with bulb. Mine are for syphoning my own (or others I suppose) vehicles for fuel to run my generator should the need arise. As I recall, back in the 70's (maybe it was later) that coil was added to prevent syphoning. I think that was when gas went up to 50 cents a gallon and people were panicking. In the scenario that you describe, especially if the vehicles are wrecked, puncturing the tanks may be a better (or depending on how the vehicle is situated) or only option.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If your talking about survival and not just "discount fuel" then I would guess that a simple rough made brass punch(fuel tanks are plastic on most cars and pickups now)would work just fine. Punch a hole into the bottom and catch the gas and pour it through a funnel into your rig.

But don't the gas tanks represent stored fuel for you? If you punch the tank then you may loose a lot of the fuel. By siphoning you can always come back for more...unless you're on the move, of course.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Good point. Carrying some moldable epoxy to plug the hole you made might be called for (if that sort of thing is in your planning).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Just a thought, wouldn't puncturing the tank to get at the fuel mean you get all the cr*p fom the bottom of the tank too? You'd then have to filter it to make it useable again.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

How about just unclamping or cutting the filler hose? We used to unclamp the filler hose from my dads Isuzu Trooper then run the genny fuel line right into the troopers tank.I worked and don't see why you couldnt siphon and fuel that way too.
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.

I'll bet your dad was none too happy with you, huh?

Banned
    Blog Entries

May I paint a different way to look at this subject. What you assume is an abandoned vehicle, may in fact be out of fuel, and the "right-full" owner has just walked 1/2 mile to his barn to get fuel, so that he can get "His" vehicle home. He returns to find criminals stealing parts, and poking holes in "His" vehicle fuel tank. He sets his fuel can down, unslings his AR-15, and pokes two holes in your head. Now that your goods are abandoned, he can appropriates them.

Point #2........ maybe it is booby-trapped, or maybe someone has urinated into the fuel tank, or added water, etc.

If things have deteriorated to this level of survival, you are already dead, or will be tomorrow.

Point #3.......What is wrong with slow transfer of fuel with a small hose. It is not like business Appointments will not be a issue.

SJJ, I know you would not steal, but because once or twice per year some scumbag steals fuel out of one of my dozer's, trucks, Snow machines, fuel tanks, aircraft, etc. this is a touchy subject for me, and others who have to haul our fuel 83 miles. "end of rant"
    Last edited by Sourdough; 12-09-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'll bet your dad was none too happy with you, huh?
    Na he was the one who showed me how to do it.We did it after the last Hurricane.We had a family resturant and needed to keep the freezer and walk in cooler running.
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.

Old fashion plastice 1/2 hoses, rubber bulb, spare gas can, always in both vechicals.

Don't forget the electric drill method, drill throws sparks, don't care what kind it is.

You wouldn't want to make an ash out of your self.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

What I have is a large screwdriver to either pop that restriction in or pop it out. and an electric fuel pump (12v) got it from pick & pull, wired to an accessory plug so I can plug it into my car plus an adapter to attach directly to a battery. It also has a 3 position switch (on, off, and momentary). I have enough hose to get me down to the bottom of a gas station inground tank.
    I know what hunts you.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I normally carry a can and a "WV credit card" myself. Back when we were told we were out of gas I kept a full tank in the Buick and if I couldn't get any for the VW I borrowed it. Some did punch holes in tanks to steal, guess they didn't know how to siphon. In my teen years I could taste of it and tell you if it was regular, high test and what brand. I have since reformed but still carry a hose in vehicles and ATV.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I know I'm not the oldest member here, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only redneck here either. With those stated, where has the suck, suck, spit, suck, suck, swallow, cuss....method gone?

I've transferred quite a bit of fuel, plus drained many-a-waterbed with that method.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    I normally carry a can and a "WV credit card" myself. Back when we were told we were out of gas I kept a full tank in the Buick and if I couldn't get any for the VW I borrowed it. Some did punch holes in tanks to steal, guess they didn't know how to siphon. In my teen years I could taste of it and tell you if it was regular, high test and what brand. I have since reformed but still carry a hose in vehicles and ATV.

You beat me by 4 minutes. I know I wasn't the only one left. Perhaps the others swallow too much of what they were siphoning....

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boker View Post
    I know I'm not the oldest member here, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only redneck here either. With those stated, where has the suck, suck, spit, suck, suck, swallow, cuss....method gone?

I've transferred quite a bit of fuel, plus drained many-a-waterbed with that method.

Sure let the cat out of the bag..............

Blog Entries

I can see it now.........

A serious disaster strikes. You're driving your truck down a rural road and nature calls. So you pull over, grab your shotgun from the rack, and walk about 25 feet into the woods. And a minute later, you hear someone stop at your car, so you pull your pants up and walk back just in time to see some guy with a syphon hose in your gas tank.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

What happens next?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Nothing happens Ken. Any self-respecting thief knows to sit the can by the car, get the gas flowing and get away while your portable tank fills. Back during the so called gas shortage I remember some "bright" guy used a vacuum cleaner and got almost a quart before it blew up in his face. I keep a 4' coil of tubing under the ATV seat, someone always runs low.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.