Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping Gas

Default Pumping Gas

We've all read and heard the warnings about what not to do when pumping gas - don't talk on your cell phone - no smoking - turn engine off - don't enter and exit your vehicle. Looks like they're posted for a reason.

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/78719497.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The fire was caused by his getting in and out of the car. In cooler weather people will start pumping ant then get out and pull the nozzle. Sparking the flame with a static charge. They tell you not to get back in your car while pumping gas. At least touch some grounded metal before pulling the nozzle out of the tank.

Cellphones have not been demonstrated to be a problem.

Blog Entries

I never shut off my truck when I'm pumping fuel in the winter. But then it is a diesel.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

When fueling aircraft in the wilderness, we use a Tractor funnel and Skin when pouring out of 5 Gal. jugs we would ground the funnel and the Super Cub with a wire and alligator clips. I watched a $465,000.-- Bell Jetranger with 12 wolves inside go up in flames.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 12-08-2009 at 07:54 PM.

I reminded my wife just yesterday about the dangers of static electricity. ALWAYS touch the metal of the vehicle with your bare hand before grabbing that gas nozzle.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I used to work for Goodyear Airship. Shortly after I started they had me on fueling. No big deal... they told me to give them x amount of gallons. They meant total. I thought they meant like when you ask a full service attendant to give you ten gallons.

Did you know once you pump Avgas the FAA won't let you take it out and reuse it? Did you also know that you can mix it with regular gas in your car?

Ask me how I know. LOL

The other thing is they put a PTO under the blimp to power the signs that is a jet turbine. They gave me a fire bottle and told me if I saw any flame to squirt it down. Well did you know that when a jet turbine power take off unit fires up there is actual flames every time... Go on, ask me how I know... Did you know how expensive a jet engine PTO is? I do. Ask me how I know. LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I used to work for Goodyear Airship. Shortly after I started they had me on fueling. No big deal... they told me to give them x amount of gallons. They meant total. I thought they meant like when you ask a full service attendant to give you ten gallons.

Did you know once you pump Avgas the FAA won't let you take it out and reuse it? Did you also know that you can mix it with regular gas in your car?

Ask me how I know. LOL

The other thing is they put a PTO under the blimp to power the signs that is a jet turbine. They gave me a fire bottle and told me if I saw any flame to squirt it down. Well did you know that when a jet turbine power take off unit fires up there is actual flames every time... Go on, ask me how I know... Did you know how expensive a jet engine PTO is? I do. Ask me how I know. LMAO
    Your name wouldn't be Murphy by chance would it?
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

I didn't actually shoot the PTO. But, I grabbed the fire bottle and pulled the pin. Everybody yelled no at the same time. They said I would have ruined the PTO. I said you said if I see fire...

Banned
    Blog Entries

I burned Av-gas "Green" 100/110 Low Lead in my 67' Stingray...........and I burned 80 No-lead car-gas in my airplanes. everything ran better.

I'll bet the Stingray left a vapor trail.

cop1: "What was that?!"
    cop2: "I don't know but it was something fast."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I burned Av-gas "Green" 100/110 Low Lead in my 67' Stingray............
    I ran it in my dirt bikes.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Did a lot of sling load (external lift for you purists) ops. You use a static probe for a very good reason. I've seen hook-up guys knocked to the ground and lucky to survive. The static charge build-up under a helicopter is amazing.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

The scariest static charge I experienced was built up from the rotors of a helicopter while we were doing a transfer between the helo and the top of the sail of a submarine.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The scariest static charge I experienced was built up from the rotors of a helicopter while we were doing a transfer between the helo and the top of the sail of a submarine.
    OOOOOHHHHH!!!!; I'll bet. Did it contact the boat and discharge?

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    OOOOOHHHHH!!!!; I'll bet. Did it contact the boat and discharge?
    Yep - I was the guy with the 5 foot long shorting probe that had to discharge it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

To paraphrase an old Creedence song (that my Father told me about You ARE a Fortunate Son! It was bad enough standing on the ground or sometimes on the load. Hey, did we hijack this thread?

What the...
    ..a sail, on a submarine?
    Was that for when the nukes ran out? LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Not S.A.I.L.......S.A.L.E.......They had a submarine sale. It's like a garage sale but wetter.

Blog Entries

So that was you on "Hunt for Red October"!
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

And you saw where the passenger wound up.