Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt. Underestimated but needed in a survival situation.

Post Salt. Underestimated but needed in a survival situation.

Salt.

salt is essential for human survival. A normal diet includes a daily intake of 10gm (1/2 Oz). The trouble starts when you get rid of it faster than you eat it. The body loses salt in sweat and urine, so the warmer the climate the greater the loss. Physical exertion will increase the loss.

The first sympthoms of salt deficency are muscle cramps, nausia, dissness, and tiredness. the remedy is to take a pinch of salt in a pint of water. Try to add salt tablets to your survival kit, but dont swallow them whole.

you can dilute sea water with plenty of fresh water to increase your salt, a pint of sea water contains about 15gm (3/4 Oz) Of salt. Salt can even be obtained from some plants like in the roots of hickory trees.

If you cant get any of the above, One other way to obtain salt is through animal blood. which is also a good source for minirals.
    Survival and bugout info,

http://www.wilderness-survival-expert.com/

updated monthly.

It is my understanding that you will get you just about all the salt you need through your regular diet in the wild.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Salt is like any other seasoning. Except, it can be used to preserve foods. It's not about what we need. Eating a balanced diet will net you all the vitamins and minerals (including salt) that you need. It just helps make food taste better and does wonders for preservation of food when nothing else is available.

As for drinking blood, you can certainly do that if you want but I have no intention of doing it. The number of cysts and other parasites contained in any blood will keep me well away from it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

I like to carry packs of salty peanuts with me when hiking, etc. You get three very essential things - protein, fat, and salt. Not to mention they taste good and are cheap. I love peanuts!
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

In reference to blood, does cooking reduce the salt content? I would not think so. Consuming the cooked blood of an animal seems a lot more managable that drinking raw blood. Most people would have a hard time with that, including me. Bear Grylls does it, but he can also vomit when the camera is off. (I don't take Bear too seriously)
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

I see no reason not to cook it, kinda like black pudding. Not too sure if cooking it will reduce the salt content thou.

Lovng the packs of peanuts idea. Just make sure you bring plenty of water, you know thats why salted peanuts are sold on planes, and free in some pubs. Any excuse for a pint!
    Survival and bugout info,

http://www.wilderness-survival-expert.com/

updated monthly.

Blog Entries

In the last Ray Mears programme, he had a meal of blood soup with some folk. He said it was good, and seemed to enjoy it.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Mr. Mears did another series..?

i was not notified...!
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's not about what we need. Eating a balanced diet will net you all the vitamins and minerals (including salt) that you need. It just helps make food taste better and does wonders for preservation of food when nothing else is available.
    DUH!!!! On a willderness survival thingie

Hello

Mischie

In the tropics you lose salt at an alarming rate, you literally wash it right out of your system. My record for drinking water here is eight liters in one day, that was an extreme case of hard work in hot/humid conditions. Drinking at that rate means you will be cramped up due to salt loss so you have to replace it.

Not all regular diets are created equal. Here in Brazil most Americans remark how salty the food is. My mom has a fit every time she visits. Their "regular diet" covers the natural salt loss.

I always carry salt here. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Mac, your point is well taken. What do the indigenous folks do while in the bush? How do they deal with it?

Drinking that much water will certainly create havoc with your electrolytes.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Once again, in the forest called Uwharrie, we cooked blood in a canteen cup down to dry flakes. That made a great seasoning. Just another usage and it was salty.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Blog Entries

I'm getting my dose of salt as I type this. Dill pickles and sharp cheddar cheese.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

im with klkak
    All good things are wild and free
    -Henry David Thoreau

Learn from the old and the wise

most modern people have too much salt in them so most of you should be able to loos a bit before youd have to worry about it
    Come share my fire.

Mac, I regularly drink two gallons of water here a day during the summer.

Another option to drinking sea water is to got to the salt marsh and scrape the salt off of the leaves of mangrove trees after the water has evaporated from them.

Or eat some chips....just sayin'.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    Mr. Mears did another series..?

i was not notified...!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nqhwl

Here ya go, It's just finished and was a great series.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

http://firstaid.about.com/od/heatcol...ponatremia.htm
    Here is a good page on it. This is very important to us Firefighters as we lose fluids quickly in a fire and need to rehydrate CORRECTLY.

tussilago farfara -coltsfoot
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com