Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salt. Underestimated but needed in a survival situation.

If you eat the eyeballs, organs, blood, bones, brains and such of animals you won't have a need for salt or other nutrient supplements, except for possibly vitamin C.

You would starve if all you ate was the meat, especially with rabbit or vegetables. But, if you eat the parts that we normally pitch you can survive quite well. You can survive on rabbit alone if you eat the whole thing, and peoples have for centuries.

Blood and certain plants can be boiled down/ evaporated and the salt will be left in the bottom of the pan. The salt will not evaporate out. It might collect on the sides of the pot or lid from splashback.

In a wilderness survival situation I would not be too concerned with salt. Because by the time my body would need it I would have already resorted to eating pretty much the entire animal, including grinding the bones down and eating them.

In the past people even added rabbit pellets to their stews and such. It provided some kind of nutrient that they couldn't get otherwise, probably veggie based.

Well Yuuuuuuck!!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

this reminds me of Jeramiah Johnson when his wife gave him the "bread?" she cooked on the fire. He didn't seem to like it. I wonder what was in there.

I don't know but I DON'T want my bread looking back at me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    this reminds me of Jeramiah Johnson when his wife gave him the "bread?" she cooked on the fire. He didn't seem to like it. I wonder what was in there.
    By the way, Jeremiah Johnson is playing right now on AMC. I just happened to flip to it and I've never seen it.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    I believe that salt is a great barter item - one of the best.
    Are you stockpiling extra for barter?
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

On my recent six day trip our need for salt was very evident. I got dehydrated on the way in and the way out. The bottom line was that you just couldn't carry enough water, move the distance required, chop and shove your way through, and stay hydrated all at the same time. You could do any one of those things at a time but not all at once and make the objective in any reasonable time frame.

In both cases were were moving towards a water source so it was a matter of getting there in the best condition we could, loading up with water, rehydrating and then hitting it again the next day. Every time we would come back to camp both of us would break out the little tub of salt and down a few pinches with a canteen full of water. If you are low on salt a pinch of it will taste amazingly good on your tongue so don't overdo it.

Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

A good place to buy a few hundred pounds of salt for stocking up is at a store that sells cow feed,less than 10 dollars a 100#, then for iodine that the body also needs, store some over the counter Lugol’s solution in capsule or tablet form. I think the body needs 12.5 mg of iodine daily. http://www.mbschachter.com/iodine.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Nath1985 View Post
    Salt.

salt is essential for human survival. A normal diet includes a daily intake of 10gm (1/2 Oz). The trouble starts when you get rid of it faster than you eat it. The body loses salt in sweat and urine, so the warmer the climate the greater the loss. Physical exertion will increase the loss.
    10gm is 10,000mg. The US Recommended Daily Allowance is 2000mg. 10,000mg sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen for a normal American doing a typical day's work with electricity. However, perhaps you really do need 10,000mg with daily hard work for 10+ hours per day.

Anyway, if you're eating freeze dried food you will get more than enough sodium from that. If you have only wild game, you might need to eat extra sodium.

It all really depends on your salt intake, and sodium output (sweating via hard work).