Thread: Holiday survival

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Holiday survival

What are your survival plans for the holidays? Christmas and all that is just a few short weeks away. And what's on the menu (if it's very tasty, I just might come and crash the party)?
    Actions speak louder than words

As the man of the house,my job is to do whatever I am told . Going to spend alot of time playing with the grand kids and godsons new toys (of course I bought my favorites toys ).

In a few days will start to distribute the toy trucks I have made to some of the centers in the area for gifting to kids.

And last but not least will show my thankfullness for all the baked goodies in sight !!!!!
    Last edited by Pal334; 12-04-2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Blog Entries

Well WW, Winnie jnr and I have developed a cunning plan over the years, once he gets home christmas eve, we lock the doors and refuse to open them(apart from seeing to the girls) until the day after boxing day. If anyone calls we're not in! We spend the time reading, watching a bit of telly, going out for a walk or two and playing silly games.
    Vittles this year consist of a home produced chicken(5lb 10oz), roast potatoes, home grown salted runner beans, roast butternut squash, and braised red cabbage with lots of homemade stuffing and gravy. Homemade christmas pudding and cream for dessert(I remembered!)
    Boxing day there'll be a ham and homemade pickles, sausage rolls and cold chicken.
    To keep the fires stoked between meals there will be pesto twists, cheese straws, shortbread and christmas cake, again all homemade. After that lot, some serious walks will be required for me anyway, Winnie jnr is a slim jim. Oh and if you can get here, you'd be most welcome.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wildWoman View Post
    What are your survival plans for the holidays? Christmas and all that is just a few short weeks away. And what's on the menu (if it's very tasty, I just might come and crash the party)?

Lady, come anytime. I'll cook anything you want...........(Leave the boyfriend there to feed the Ducks & Dogs)

Blog Entries

Prime Rib Roast. Medium Rare.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I'm putting my waders on, Winnie. I'll be over in a bit. I'll take a walk with you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Anytime Rick.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Blog Entries

Winnie, your plans sound lovely - and tasty! Just might have to put my kayak in again and come over What are pesto twists? That sounds yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Lady, come anytime. I'll cook anything you want...........(Leave the boyfriend there to feed the Ducks & Dogs)
    Sourdough, I am truly shocked at this proposition! Now this is the type of thing I might expect from a rascally Southerner - but from you, my Alaskan neighbour? What on earth are you thinking?
    Asking me to leave the dogs behind...
    Last edited by wildWoman; 12-05-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Blog Entries

Pesto twists- 8oz puff pastry 2 tablespoons pesto, roll out pastry to 1/4 inch thick oblong spread 1/3 of the pesto on 2/3 pastry, fold pastry in three starting with the balnk 1/3. trn pastry 45degrees repeat pesto process and repeat again. chill pastry 2hrs then roll out thinly, cut into strips and "twist" them into spirals. bake in hot oven til golden brown and crispy. Mmmm heaven!

Edit to add if you make your own puff pastry, mix the pesto in with the fat as you do the folding thing.

Let's see...Christmas...uhhhh Elder's Christmas dinner serve the Elders and then join them in the consumption of said dinner. Board of Directors party, catered, feed the Board of Directors and then join them in the consumption of said dinner. Christmas Day putting on a feast for homeless folks, several turkey dinners with all usual accoutrements. Feed the homeless folks and then join them...well you get the picture.

I shouldn't have to buy groceries until late February, but hopefully I'll get some bigger waist-sized pants for Christmas, think I'm gonna need them
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

It's either going to be a nice quiet Christmas here, or a bit cooler one in North Dakota.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I don't see myself making puff pastry...I think I'm better off just coming over, Winnie!

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    As the man of the house,my job is to do whatever I am told . Going to spend alot of time playing with the grand kids and godsons new toys (of course I bought my favorites toys ).

In a few days will start to distribute the toy trucks I have made to some of the centers in the area for gifting to kids.

And last but not least will show my thankfullness for all the baked goodies in sight !!!!!
    You know, today we here at work finished packing this years Care Packages to the Troops (11 boxes), 5 years in a row. I think the most important thing I want to do or have for Christmas is not to have to send these packages anymore!!!!
    Last edited by Pal334; 08-07-2010 at 05:46 PM.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Speeding Christmas week at my son's organic farm in the "middle-of-nowhere" NM. Our BO site. He will always have food and water and all the cottonwood you could burn, if you can stand the smell.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

I figure that I will spend time with the kids, since we will both be out of school. I may take them camping, but Klondike for Scouts is next month so I don't want them to get burnt out on the cold. Hopefully we get snow. We have fun doing the snowman thing.
    For dinner it will be the standard. Turkey, ham, stuffing, and other things.
    The good eats come the day AFTER Christmas, that is when we do homemade turkey noodles with the leftover turkey.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

I'm always fed a repeat of Thanksgiving dinner for Christmas.

However, throughout the week leading up to Christmas I fill myself daily with sausage balls, cheese logs, chex mix, interesting party dipsy, cookies, pumpkin bread, an assortment of pies, and those balls made out of peanut butter and corn flakes.

Like a good little government employee I taken plenty of time off around the holidays to sit and watch reruns of all our favorite Christmas classics.