Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: heat without fire?

Banned

When going without fire there is no substitute for wool in loose layers. Gloves on inside mittens. Don't sleep with your shoes or boots on. Make yourself a bedrool with your blankets and a tarp and make your self or find a natural wind break to prevent heat loss from convection. Use leaf litter and fresh cut evergreen boughs for bedding to keep you from directly touching the cold ground. This will help prevent heat loss from conduction. Some type of covering shelter with a roof will help prevent heat loss from radiation. If you are close enough to the road for a fire to be seen you are too close to the road for security and safety. When I was homeless in the woods the only time I was ever accosted by anyone was when I was within sight of the road. My Cold Steel ATC khukri kept them from physically attacking me but they shouted insults from a distance and threaten me, breaking the peace I had had up to that point.
    Remember to have something to reflect the heat from both the opposite side of the fire from you and behind you. This will allow you to have a smaller fire and still stay warm.

Homeless is just a word

Went last night to grab the 20 gallon drum. Aside from being spooked by a boar it went fine. Humped it the 1/4 mile out in a heck of a hurry! Lol. Anyways, I borrowed a hack saw from someone, and started cutting but didn't get far.

Random question though, a bit off topic. Does anyone know anything in Central FL decent for a persistant cough and sinus problems?
    Not all who wander are lost...

A doctor?! Is there a free clinic anywhere nearby?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yep - gotta agree with seeing a doctor. Looks like you qualify for their services. http://www.doh.state.fl.us/chdbrevar..._hlth/path.htm
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Homeless is just a word

nice. got the number saved. That's something I would've loved to be told by the person I actually spoke with at the brevard health department.

--------

Just an update. Had my first small fire last night. While I was sawing away on my larger drum I took a tin ravioli can and put a circle of holes around the bottom for ventilation. I tried it with an empty beer can found farther out in the woods, but found pretty quick the heat of pine needles burning is enough to melt the aluminum can. After making the tin one I kept it burning for about 4 hours. It was a hell of a comfort to have fire out there, and it burns contained enough that I can take it in the tent.

Still working on the big one. We'll see how this one turns out.
    Last edited by walkabout king; 12-02-2009 at 10:34 AM.
    Not all who wander are lost...