Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: why camo?

IMHO, Camo IS over-rated, and is mostly for people, not animals.
    Called marketing.........

You can always tell a "Newbie" in the saloon, 'cause all his cammo matches, and he is in the saloon, instead of in the woods or marsh.
    If they don't "Match", you have everyone undress, throw all the camo in a pile, then re-dress everyone, with the proper pattern, right?

The original cammo, as far as I can figure, was the Carhartt, brown barn coat, with muddy black lab foot prints on it. (Now that's a familiar picture!)

Anyway, my SIL and DD hunt mostly out of box blinds, get the latest cammo pattern often, but in truth, they could wear a 3 piece suit, and nothing could see them any way????????

I do wear it, because it is the most avalible gear out there, but I don't "match", as mine gets worn out before replacing......and some is really "outdated patterns".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    If they don't "Match", you have everyone undress, throw all the camo in a pile, then re-dress everyone, with the proper pattern, right?
    Well, that's what the girls and I do. Seems I can never buy them an outfit that matches. Then we all have to get undressed and redressed. Silly me. Boy!!!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Well, that's what the girls and I do. Seems I can never buy them an outfit that matches. Then we all have to get undressed and redressed. Silly me. Boy!!!
    Rick, next time, have an expert examine those wild mushrooms before you eat them.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

It's my dream. I can live it any way I want!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

My youngest was making wallets out of duck tape a few years back. She got a roll of camo tape from Wally world and she was selling them for $20 each.

Blog Entries

Cool Wally World Camo People!

Every so often I see people in Wally World wearing the "Real Tree/Mossy Oak" kinda camo. I think: "Wow, I didn't know that Wally World had deer in here that could be hunted...geez, they got everything!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Very good point an remaining visible. Like you, there are probably more times I would want to be seen or found than hide.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

For Christmas my son from OK bought me, among other "camo" items, a backpack in "Mossy Oak." I treasure it as a gift & think it's cool. One of the features is a "reversable" rain-cover that's O.D. on one side & bright orange on the other. I'm sure that there are coats, vests, & rain-gear available this way; then yiou've covered both bases.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

The thing is with camo, is just like the comparison with guns are better then compound bows, compound bows are better then re-curve bows, re-curve bows are better then spears, carbon arrows are better then aluminum, aluminum is better then wood, steel broadheads are better then stone, etc, etc, etc.

It’s the same old “back in my day we didn’t need …” and your grandfather said the same thing to your father and his did as well to him. Just because it’s better doesn’t mean that the old way is wrong and doesn’t work, but that doesn’t change the fact that the new way is better. Camo hides you better then you would be hidden if you where wearing non camo, now there comes a point where there is over kill, where the new advantage is minimal at best, and that’s where I believe it is with camo, the advantage you get with camo probably isn’t very much, well I guess it depends on how far away the deer is and how still you can be, but regardless most hunters where solid blaze orange, and although they cant make out the orange it is a solid pattern and plenty of deer have been taken with blaze orange.
    If you light a fire for a man he is warm for a day, but if you light that man ON fire he is warm for the rest of his life.

True about killing alot of deer with blaze orange, but its usually in the form of a vest. The part that moves the least. And not in any outline of a human. Arms, legs, face, head and hands are better to be covered with camo or some pattern[could be plaid or daisys] instead of a solid color IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Rick, next time, have an expert examine those wild mushrooms before you eat them.
    Trax is an expert on these matters, send them to Trax (just trying to help)
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Noise and movement, then color patterns.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Dbldrew
    now there comes a point where there is over kill,
    Yeah, camo at Starbucks is kind of in that realm.

How about a "military field jacket" type of thing if you don't like camo you can get them in several colers including black. cheaperthandirt.com has them as well as brigadequartermaster.com as well as several other companies.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    How about a "military field jacket" type of thing if you don't like camo you can get them in several colers including black. cheaperthandirt.com has them as well as brigadequartermaster.com as well as several other companies.
    Just like I mentioned way back in post #11.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I never wear camo in a town or city, just in the woods.

I have camo insulated coveralls, some military outfits, woodland camo etc. But I like to wear a black hooded sweatshirt best as well as some natural colored flannel shirts which can also look a little like camo.

I don't know if you have seen this brand before, but it is starting to catch on a little here in New England. The Benoit's are die hard hunters and successful and I know that they are compensated for the add, but if it works for them, it should be good. http://www.beaglewear.com/

I have alot of Mossy Oak Breakup. I reach for it all the time. You simply cannot compete against the hunting market related to price. If I want an excellent waterproof jacket that doesn't sound like a cheap rain coat then more than likely it will be camouflage due to the number of people who hunt and wear camo vs. the number of those that do not.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    You simply cannot compete against the hunting market related to price. If I want an excellent waterproof jacket that doesn't sound like a cheap rain coat then more than likely it will be camouflage due to the number of people who hunt and wear camo vs. the number of those that do not.
    This is true, but unfortunate. What the market demands, the market provides - even when it's not useful for anything but a fashion statement.

I do own camo and I'm not about to give any of it up 'cause some of it was expensive. So, I'll keep it and use it until it gets worn out. However, other than very basic mottled patterns (like on the Columbia Gallatin Range wool garments - which are great BTW) I don't buy camo anymore. I also do my best not to buy synthetic garments. Cotton for casual wear, wool for just about everything else. If I could get a good quality, quiet, waterproof, afordable jacket in something non-camo, I'd jump on it in a second. I'd even be willing to go with a synthetic material if I had to.