Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: why camo?

you guys have made some awesome suggestions but what about waterproof? the wool thing is fantastic i know. stays warm when wet. but the northwest is a whole other kind of wet. waterproof would be really nice.

i like the upland jacket. i think that is selling the best cookies for my taste. now if i could just find one with arm pit vents so i could use it backpacking as well............
    my primitive skills apprenticeship blog:
    http://modern-natural.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    ORD - What are you wanting to hunt? That will make a difference in what colors you choose. Are you wanting to hunt upland, deer/elk, migratory?
    mostly deer and migratory and turkey this spring. i know with some migratory and the turkey i might just have to suck it up. or make that real sweet ghillie suit.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's some stuff called "Driz-A-Bone" that I use on my old duster. It's some kind of canvas material and it's waterproof with that on it. I would think anything woven tightly enough would be treatable with this stuff to make it water repellent.
    Sorry, I can't find the product online. I got mine at a western store many years ago..
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Camo is always in style where I live. It's cheap. Everyone wears it all seasons. The main reason is I don't want to be taken for a Yankee tourist!
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Blog Entries

First it was this:

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    Plod along like I always have. I'm too dumb to quit.
    And now THIS!

Camo is always in style where I live. It's cheap. Everyone wears it all seasons. The main reason is I don't want to be taken for a Yankee tourist!
    What'sgoin'onhere?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Overalls gave way to camo. Now, the Yankees and Cubans wear camo and we wear Guy Harvey and Dixie Outfitter. LOL

as for the wool. You have to determine what dry is. I water proof option down here will drown you in your own sweat. Run your quad at full throttle will let water in any ran suit. I got different suits for different situations.

Blog Entries

Companies like Bass Pro and such have made camo more of a fashion statement. I have some and wear it sometimes, but most times it's my buckskin pants and my green pull over shirt. Don't like to wear buckskin shirts in the woods. Just something about a dumbarse yahoo thinking I'm a 5'10" deer walking through the woods.

Man has been taking game for thousands of years without Realtree and a variety of camo patterns. I think it's more to hide from other hunters than game. Which in reality is not a bad thing on public land.

i wear black too hunting. Someone once told me about this guy sitting in a tree in all black carharts. What an idiot they said. Well, that someone was me, wasn't carharts though, and on that day I took a 9 point whitetail that weighed 250 or so.

i just looked at em and said yep, what an idiot is right.

I have all kinds of camo clothing, but iti is getting hard to find silent clothing. I used to have an old field jacket, don't know if it was M-65, but it was pretty warm and quiet. It had a removable wool liner and was drab olive, my favorite color, next to black.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    First it was this:
    Plod along like I always have. I'm too dumb to quit.

And now THIS!

What'sgoin'onhere?
    Ken you are just getting paranoid. Why on earth would OWVC Pretend to be 2D2K just to annoy you? Hmmm, they are from the same part of the country! Maybe you are on to something after all!!! Nah the mods would never allow that.... or would they? I know, it's the "let's make Ken paranoid" Conspiracy!! Jesse Ventura is going to cover it in the series premiere of Conspiracy Theories (or whatever it is being called).

All i can say it TAD GEAR!!! if you have a little extra money...
    Prepared enough.

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

for just a simple walk in the bush, i'm happy in a green lumber jacket/top

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

i do have a few camo tops that i picked up at yard sales/second hand stores when the price was right
    i've also picked up multi-green colored curtains to try as a madeshift camo cover

i'd rather go into the bush, and if there's a need for major camo, use the surrounding vegetation to blend in

a few times a year, i would head into the bush early in the morning,
    try to " camo ' myself invisible and just sit against a tree and watch nature do it's thing

anyone ever heard of Optifade digital camo ?
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

I wonder what all the people that do NOT wear camoufage do wrong when they are successful hunting?
    Maybe the camou-clowns should look in a mirror before venturing out of the house.
    A good wool jacket (as above pic) or a carhartt do the trick!

Wore several types of military camo uniforms over most of the 22 years. We used to call the new "urban" stuff (?) Gucci-flage. Said that to one of my SAR volunteers that always showed up in the mottled gray version and she was offended. Don't understand it. Also don't understand cammies for SAR work.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

]
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticalguy View Post
    All i can say it TAD GEAR!!! if you have a little extra money...
    good stuff but not quiet.

for just a simple walk in the bush, i'm happy in a green lumber jacket/top
    A good wool jacket (as above pic) or a carhartt do the trick!
    very quiet but not waterproof.

quiet and waterproof was my original intent

but a lot of great suggestions from everyone none the less.
    thanks
    Last edited by oneraindog; 11-30-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

OK, to whom it may concern I bought a camo T-shirt a couple of yrs. ago and a camo coat because it was cheap & warm. I have hunted for well over half a century and never needed it. Water repellent just means you get wet from the inside out. Wool, black & red check was favored in Mom's family in Northern Maine and Down South Dad's family sticks with jeans, overhalls & flannel shirts. Well worn Carharts are always good. I never carried rain gear nor a "hunting knife" for my first 50yrs, just a Case stockman worked on everything I killed. A handful of cartridges, maybe 6 30-30 for deer, a dozen shotgun shells for small game. I personally think it's the hunter not the junk he wears or carries but whatever floats your boat, go with it.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

One things for certain, if you dont like camo, you wouldnt like me. I will not go anywhere but the shower without something camo. Usually a belt or cap. I had a camo wallet but had hell finding it. Some things shouldnt be camo. Wow , did I just say that? Camo car keys would also be a bad idea. Yea my necks red.

Stairman - I'll bet your Gator hat is camo.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

yOU WOULD WIN THAT BET!

Quote Originally Posted by Stairman
    I will not go anywhere but the shower without something camo.
    Now that right there is scary I don't care who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Stairman
    I had a camo wallet but had hell finding it.
    Now that right there is funny I don't care who you are.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool And....

Quote Originally Posted by Stairman View Post
    One things for certain, if you dont like camo, you wouldnt like me. I will not go anywhere but the shower without something camo. Usually a belt or cap. I had a camo wallet but had hell finding it. Some things shouldnt be camo. Wow , did I just say that? Camo car keys would also be a bad idea. Yea my necks red.
    That's probably so you can hide from your wife when she wants you to do things like take out the trash!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin