Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: why camo?

Default why camo?

i would love to find a jacket that wasnt camo and was good for hunting. i.e. quiet and waterproof.
    why does this only exist in england????

when did camo become a mandatory prerequisite for hunting? what did people do befor mossy oak? the american indians didnt wear camo. i realize they would use natural materials to break up their outline or blend in and i can appreciate the need to blend in. cant i do it without camo?

no offense to anyone who really digs that stuff. it just makes me queezy to look at it. im sure i sound like a stuck up débutante but im ok with that cause i hate camo that much.
    my primitive skills apprenticeship blog:
    http://modern-natural.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

I do see an advantage to camo - I just chuckle when folks feel they have to wear it here.

http://www.ihea.com/hunter-education...quirements.php
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

i like camo. but i like it because it allows me to hide from people.

i have a really nice set to be honest.
    realleaf, sneaky leaves, all that good stuff.

a quick search shows me plenty of jackets like the one youre looking for.
    although i cant say for sure if they are quiet.

i would think at least one of them would work.

my guess is that one of these fine people will lead you in the right direction.
    good luck
    and take care,

I'm a big fan of old wool coats. Plaid in natural colors is a bonus.
    Wool is warm quiet and can be very water repellent. You can even find them with Goretex lining
    They have said that Deer see in shades of gray so that color should not be an issue. A nice plaid breaks up your outline fairly well, and doesn't look quite so commando.
    I like camo myself for reasons stated above, but there are times a plaid is a good camo in public places as well as being at home in the woods.
    Check out brands like L.L. Bean, Pendelton, Filson, Swanndri or Woolrich.
    Last edited by mcgyver; 11-28-2009 at 10:41 PM.
    Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.

i do like the idea of a ghillie suit. finding some interesting youtube videos on making them.

Personally I love Camo, I jokingly tell people it is my favorite color!!
    But what McGyver said is true as well. I used to have a wool Macinaw jacket and wore a flannel shirt underneath, Both materials are fairly quiet. It's what I used before they came out with the "Good" camo like is available today.

a quick search shows me plenty of jackets like the one youre looking for.
    although i cant say for sure if they are quiet.
    please share what you found. i havnt found anything that was waterproof AND silent and NOT camo. except english companies. i may have to go that route. but id rather not give the brits my money

but THIS looks like a crazy fun project
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fchxu...eature=related

could be cool to have a version of a ghillie suit to throw over the wool jacket for stalking.....

@ poco. i should clarify. i dont like the woodland camo they offer in hunting clothing. army fatigue style camo doesnt bother me nearly as much. but the goretex military parkas i have found at surplus stores dont seem to be too quiet. maybe a little rustle is ok?

Quote Originally Posted by oneraindog View Post
    @ poco. i should clarify. i dont like the woodland camo they offer in hunting clothing. army fatigue style camo doesnt bother me nearly as much. but the goretex military parkas i have found at surplus stores dont seem to be too quiet. maybe a little rustle is ok?
    It's cool, I like them all...well almost all. Have you tried Cabelas? Maybe some of their Upland bird wardrobe? Yeah I don't understand the military quartermasters allowing "Loud clothing" in their inventory. I would think they would want ALL their clothing to be "quiet". I did when I was in the military, coupla' times we chose to be wet and risk pneumonia rather than make noise...and that was just in training!!

i actually have found some promising stuff at cabelas but also not as quiet as the woodland camo styles. grrr

can one by loose goretex material? im tempted to just make my own jacket. throw some gore-tex into a wool jacket and voila!

an edit needed: the jackets ive looked at are their dry plus guide gear line but ive always disregarded the upland coats because of the orange. but that can just be dyed right?? man i am the dumbest genius ever.
    Last edited by oneraindog; 11-28-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

I own a couple of O.D. M-65 Field Jackets that seem pretty soft; at least it works for me.

http://www.bdu.com/m65-field-jackets...FdA65Qod7C1Vpw

As for quiet, I believe that would depend on the skill of the person doing the walking. I also own a Gore-Tex military field jacket in Woodland camo, however everything is also available in ACU.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

if you like ghille suits check this out.
    http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/...adnetsdept.htm

you can use them with your woodland camo. or whatever other kind of camo. you have.
    really quite as well.

hope that helps.
    take care,
    Last edited by Bladen; 11-29-2009 at 01:30 AM.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just wear black. If I'm hunting on the ground I sit in some brush. If I'm hunting in a tree I pull up a limb or two and tie it to my stand around me.

Camo is overrated, and the law here states that you have to wear hunter orange even when 30 feet up a tree so if you ask me, camo is pointless if your chest looks like a big grey square.

Use what nature offers... I just wear black, and bushes
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

ORD - What are you wanting to hunt? That will make a difference in what colors you choose. Are you wanting to hunt upland, deer/elk, migratory?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Buy a wool parka like everyone hunted in before. Looks like the Woolrich are made in the UK. But, you could try L.L.Bean.

Or just google wool hunting jacket...

As a side note, I feel your pain.

I was in bass pro shop, looking at boots..........and nope, not one pair, in the whole store, that didn't have at least some camo on them.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

"PIRACY IN THE BLOOD" Icemancometh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    I just wear black. If I'm hunting on the ground I sit in some brush. If I'm hunting in a tree I pull up a limb or two and tie it to my stand around me.

Camo is overrated, and the law here states that you have to wear hunter orange even when 30 feet up a tree so if you ask me, camo is pointless if your chest looks like a big grey square.

Use what nature offers... I just wear black, and bushes
    Could not agree more. I have been wearing a black microfleece pull over for years while hunting. Have probably killed 15-20 deer and 1 elk while wearing it. I usually hunt out of a pop up ground blind and it has a black interior so I blend right in.
    ""What the hell you doin' with that lawnmower blade?" "I aim to kill you with it.""

Funny y'all mention that. Black bears are one of the hardest to see in the woods from my experience. Just a short way in the woods and they "Disappear". Black is a good choice.

Especially at night.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Gosh, we used the standard upland jacket and pants for years. Not nearly as fancy as this Orvis jacket and not nearly as expensive, either. We wore them for upland game and goose/duck hunting.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.