Thread: Fire With Nandina Domestica

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post Fire With Nandina Domestica

new one to add to you folks list. Nandina Domestica works well with a harder hearthboard. I used a yellow poplar hearth. this was the first time I tried nandina and it worked right off with the bow drill. It's a familiar plant with often very straight stalk sections, perfect for spindles.
    cattail fluff and dry grass is my favorite flame starter.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    this actually started an ember a few seconds faster than the yucca/willow combo.

if there's a better thread for this info, mods please move it there!
    Last edited by your_comforting_company; 02-15-2010 at 12:01 AM.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Nice job YCC. I thought your post deserved its own thread. Well done.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That is Awsome, Looks like you have that method of fire starting in the bag.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

That's why if you have a group, make sure each person has a set of skills. You don't want a large group, just enough to get by. After your established in your location, you can teach everyone the different skills. I feel bad for people who rely on lighters!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiltman
    I feel bad for people who rely on lighters!
    Seriously? Why's that? A lighter is a quick, efficient method of obtaining a spark. Whatever works seems logical to me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiltman51 View Post
    That's why if you have a group, make sure each person has a set of skills. You don't want a large group, just enough to get by. After your established in your location, you can teach everyone the different skills. I feel bad for people who rely on lighters!
    The only group I rely on is the group of one, ME, and I do argue with my self from time to time, mostly I win.
    "We having a fire tonite"
    "No, can't, fire starter guy got hisself kilt today".
    "Anybody got a lighter?"
    "Nope, those are for sissies"

Sorry, but I only rely on about 6-7 ways to start a fire, but mostly use my lighters(s).
    I guess I just don't want to haul around that much stuff just to start a fire.

YCC great job!
    I can truthfully say that that is one skill that has alluded me, for a long time.

I won't say that I can do it until I can gather, local, found, compontants and tender and be successful.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Seriously? Why's that? A lighter is a quick, efficient method of obtaining a spark. Whatever works seems logical to me.
    There is nothing wrong with using a lighter, just like there is nothing wrong with getting your food from a grocery store. But if you are ever in a situation where you don’t have access to a store it’s nice to have the skills to hunt and forage for food, just like it’s nice to be able to make fire by primitive means. A lighter works a lot faster then a bow drill, but lighters can be lost or broken. It’s better to have the skills and never need them than not having the skills when you do need them.
    If you light a fire for a man he is warm for a day, but if you light that man ON fire he is warm for the rest of his life.

Blog Entries

thats very true dbldrew, and all the more reason to try different materials.
    I find when I want a fire quick, nothing surpasses fat-lighter and a bic!
    But when the bic does run out or let me down sometime in the distant future, hopefully I'll know a whole woost of things that burn when you rub them together. A KC and the Sunshine band song comes to mind...
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

I'm not arguing that fact. In fact, I agree with it. But to discount any means of fire starting seems a bit, well, illogical. Whether you use bow and drill, flint and steel or napalm, if it works then good for you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

LOL. I agree with ya Rick.
    I can do this and I STILL carry a bic in my pack. primitive skills are cool, but I have to admit, I'm pretty lazy. a wet bic is easy to dry out and will start a fire in minutes, as opposed to sleeping cold and wet in the rain 'cuz I ain't no sissy! the important thing is getting the fire going. Rubbin' sticks and stones together makes the sparks ignite...

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Blog Entries

I demonstrated this at a blacksmithing show this Saturday. It was the interesting bark on the nandina and the underlying yellow color of the inner bark that intrigued people. When I told them which plant it was and showed them some, they were like "That grows in my yard!"
    There were flint and steel demo's and I just brought a bunch of random stuff wrapped in skins with yucca cordage to tie it up. Wore my buckskin suit, so they knew right off I was into primitive stuff. I was really only there because Craig (you guys know who he is by now right?) was knapping and I could get free lessons, but it turned into a good opportunity to demo some of my stuff. The kids were most interested, besides the other folks there that were into a little primitive stuff.
    One kid walked around with my bow for about 30 minutes. It's long enough to double as a walking stick, and he just fell in love with it and the whole idea of rubbing sticks together. when I held fire in my hands, you should have seen their faces. That was better than starting the fire, the look they had when they went "AAHH COOL!"
    The wife said there were lots of folks walking up and taking pictures, I'm sure some will be on the blacksmithing.org site soon (any of you guys familiar with this site?) I can't say where pics will be from visitors; I didn't notice anyone watching or taking pictures, I only saw the kids and one adult (Focus! Breathe!) I do remember the one lady in the back telling her husband that was a good use for those weeds.. burn them.. I chuckled a little
    It was a cool experience. I learned a little about doing demos and I met some people that can connect me with other people into this sort of thing in my area.

If it hadn't been for the interest in Nandina, I might have gotten a few knapping tips, but I really didn't have long before people started asking questions.
    Thank you, Nandina domestica!

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Blog Entries

Oh yeah.. the funny part, I almost forgot lol.

I put the fire out and sat down for a little break and some questions, pulled out a cigarette and a bic.
    The adult that had been watching said "Thats a lot easier ain't it!"
    "yeah, If I had to light a cigarette like that every time, I'd quit!"

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Good for you!! Learning is a two way street and any discourse, demos or conversation, can be the vehicle to precipitate that learning. I'm glad you had a good time and I'm glad some youngsters were interested. Sounds like you sparked some real fire and some fire for learning. Nice!!!!

Well done YCC.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hey YCC. This one is for you.

Blog Entries

LMAO! that's at least 3 times today Rick made me laugh. Thanks buddy!
    I wonder how far down that list of "things to try" was toilet paper!!

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

You know the old joke......

You know what burns my azz? A flame about three feet high!

Blog Entries

hahaha! that's 4 times!

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Rick - you know how those cavemen are.........they laugh at all the fire jokes.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel