Thread: Setting the nephew up for fishin'

Blog Entries

Default Setting the nephew up for fishin'

I've just bought my 11yr old great nephew his first fishing pole and a few rigs for christmas. Nothing fancy, just 4metre telescopic pole and 1/2 doz rigs. He's been desperate to learn to fish but his dad has no patience with the boy when it comes to fishin' so good ole' auntie A has stepped into the breach. I'm hoping some time spent with me catching some tiddlers will help him with his concentration and aggression problems that seem to have sneaked in to his personality over the last 6mths or so. I'm also going to put a few I.O.U's in there, just so he knows I mean it. It's an important skill to have and all boys should be given the opportunity to get covered in bait, fish slime and mud!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Good for you and lucky for him!! Yeah, nothing like fish slime...What a good aunt you are!

Way to go WInnie!!! I love fishing,and my oldest son and my grandson (3 y.o.) loves to fish as well,daughters good with it,the youngest son doesn't seem to care for it too much for now anyway.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would like to volenteer to teach him how to make primitive fish hooks. However i may have some trouble "getting across the pond"
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by erunkiswldrnssurvival View Post
    I would like to volenteer to teach him how to make primitive fish hooks. However i may have some trouble "getting across the pond"
    Now that's an offer! It is a ways to come though

I love to fish, it's a family thing. We were all taught once old enough to stand and hold a stick!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    It's an important skill to have and all boys should be given the opportunity to get covered in bait, fish slime and mud!
    I agree 100%, and you're a good aunt, for making sure that he has that opportunity.

I'd say that's one more "atta girl" for Winnie.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

I gotta cosign on that 2D2k, well said Winnie.
    I got some really nice handmade flys on here from Smok, wonder whatever happened to him? Good guy there. Anyway they are great, teach him to make his own flys, time well spent and alot if fun.

Beo,
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

That's cool Winnie. My ma stepped in when my dad died, and although she had no clue about fishing or hunting she put forth the effort and it got me hooked on the outdoors. I prolly woulda been in prison or dead by now if not for the great outdoors and having my mom and uncles to get me into it.

Way to go Winnie.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Unfortunately fly fishing is reserved for the rich over here. All Trout and Salmon rivers are "owned" and you have to pay a small fortune for the privelidge of fishing there. There are a few Trout fisheries but again you have to pay, so it's coarse fishing with maggots and bread etc on the local boating lake but hey it's fishing!(and the upside is there's a little cafe that does the full English fry up or BACON SANDWICHES!!!)

BACON SANDWICHES!!!??? Can it get any better than that? I was very fortunate to grow up in an outdoorsy family and started fishing and hunting at very early ages. My parents weren't happy when my Grandfather and Uncle introduced me to O'Keefe Red Cap at 11 years old at the White Tail Lodge near Sudbury.

Winnie: You are such a grand lady. If the young man doesn't know enough to really thank you yet, I will.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Can you imagine what the run on fishing licenses would be like if a bacon flavored fish was discovered?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Can you imagine what the run on fishing licenses would be like if a bacon flavored fish was discovered?
    Credit where credit is due. You are really on to something here!!! Too bad my fish biologist friend passed away a while ago.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Winnie... Good for you! Great for the nephew. Some of my greatest memories as a kid were fishing with my uncle. ( my father didn't have time for such nonsense) Not having any kids of my own, I loved taking a couple of my cousins boys fishing on the "farm" I had ( 125 acres) in western Ky. before I moved to Indiana and they moved back to Ohio. Enjoy the time, Remember that "your worse days fishing is much better than your best day at work"
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

iP1010480.jpg i love fishing with my son. Some of my best times on the water

Great looking kid you've got.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Outstanding. Nice pic. He sure looks happy.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

he was thrilled. his first shark all by himself

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    I agree 100%, and you're a good aunt, for making sure that he has that opportunity.

I'd say that's one more "atta girl" for Winnie.
    Got to agree with 2d on this one.I thinks its a great thing youre doing for your nephew.
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.