Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A good season, so far

Nice harvest. Looks like you'll be eating well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Congrats. Nice harvest.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

I managed to finish up this great season with these two big does. My freezer is stuffed and I am very thankful. Now all that is left to do is tear the rifle down and clean it for its long storage until next season.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

That's some fine eatin, right there.

We still have till Jan 15 for hunting season. So far I've harvested 3 deer, and between my hunting buddies we total 7 deer and a feral hog. There really is a lot to be said for the NatAm hunting techniques, i.e. stalking and using natural barriers.. easily half of our total harvest was taken using those methods.. now where did that post go?

I'm also curious how many folks realize that deer specifically did not evolve to suit their own needs.. but rather are more suited to ours. A deer is truly an all in one survival package. think of all the materials you get from one animal. skins and brains for clothing, sinew for sewing, bone tools and needles, fat for fuel... so many uses, so little space in the chop shop. (I threw this bit in for all the darwinists out there.. I personally don't believe in that kind of evolution)
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    fat for fuel... so many uses
    Supposin somebody wanted to use deer fat for fuel.... Any tips?

Any more photos of that buck. I want to see that rack. It looks like it crosses over its self. I would love to see a front shot of that buck if you have one. Very well done season for sure.

Blog Entries

Geronimo. It's super simple.
    get as much fat as you wish to render and a sharp knife.
    dice the fat into as small a bits as you can.
    toss in a pan, cover with water, bring to a boil.
    boil until the fat is mostly dissolved and you see flesh and meat floating in the water.
    strain through screen, mesh, or a colander into a bowl. put lid on the bowl.
    let it cool overnight.
    when you check it tomorrow, the hard waxy tallow will be on top of the water. poke a hole in the edge on two opposite sides and pour the water off.
    what you are left with is a big chunk of fuel for lamps, or sealing pouches, or waterproofing.
    store it in a cool place with the lid cracked open for a while till the water finishes evaporating, then store indefinately.
    I'm sure it will go rancid at some point, but if you're like me you'll use it up before then.

to use it, cut a chunk off the slab, warm it up, pour it into a jar or whatever and add your wick material. It will reharden and look like a candle.
    I found true tinder fungus, and punky wood to work best for primitive wicks, and cotton from the roadside for a more modern approach. you can follow my wick experiments here

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Depending on where you use it as fuel does it even matter if it goes rancid? It would still burn.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks! I'll have to try that next hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by COUESAZ View Post
    Any more photos of that buck. I want to see that rack. It looks like it crosses over its self. I would love to see a front shot of that buck if you have one. Very well done season for sure.
    It's an illusion. If you look close, you can see a bullet hole just under the ear. I grunted this guy in but he only gave me a shot at his head. Being a meat hunter, this is not an issue but the results of a .270 at about 45 yards make it hard to get a skull mount. What you are looking at is the right antler being only held by skin and the left pitched in from the broken skull. It was a nice looking buck but it will just be knife handles because of the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Wow, Ken..so if I read that right I can pass through Mass as long as I have my valid Pa license with me. Man they sure can clutter up the second amendment....
    it also says that these rights will not be infringed upon too

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo! View Post
    Supposin somebody wanted to use deer fat for fuel.... Any tips?
    I havent seen much fat on a deer my friend .

Quote Originally Posted by moonwillow View Post
    I havent seen much fat on a deer my friend .
    I was thinking about that as I posted it. Guess I'll have to make some delicious bacon fat candles.