Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any plant resources?

Don't forget to mark said plants that you've ID so you can see it through the seasons and find it again next year.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I learned a lot from my mom and other "older foragers"... I also have a library of books I use for occasional reference.... And there are a ton of websites.. I'd post sum links if wasn't such a techie retard.... Don't totally discount the sites database though!.. Great thing about it is that most the entries are user submitted- if u have a question just shoot a message to the user!
    If you're just starting out and you don't have a mentor.. It may be worth learning all the most poisonous plants u have locally so you can easily identify and avoid them... Many of my friends I've started to bring out often joke that I'm more of a "poison expert" than an "edible expert"...at the very least learn the look-a-likes!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    have you tried cattail root yet? last year i made a list of all the common wild plants i wanted to try and what time they would be in season and how to prepare them. with some plants there are things you need to do to them or ovoid doing to keep that plant from being toxic. like raspberry leaves are healthy fresh or dried but when wilted they become semi toxic and to much like that could make you sick. i did get to eat all the plants on my list. ive lived in MN a few times so i can help you make a list for your area if youd like
    The roots are havested from fall through spring, you don't eat them, you us them to make flour! Clean 'em, peel 'em, put 'em in a pail of water and crush 'em. Scoop out the fibers and let it settel. Poor off the water and put in more water and remove any more fibers and what have you, and let it settle agian. Pour off the water and let it dry, pound that into flour!

I often eat the stalks, pull up the plant, cut off anything that isn't tender enough to chew, usually only about 6 in. or so(from the bottom), and eat it. Tastes like cucumber!
    Last edited by Ted; 01-10-2010 at 02:42 PM.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

young survivalist

wild edible is my specicalty!! no jokes here people. cut me some slack. i really am good at wild edibles. send me a PM if you want more info
    some people like Bear Grylls. others like Les Stroud. well you know what. i like Jerimiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by smittysurvival View Post
    wild edible is my specicalty!! no jokes here people. cut me some slack. i really am good at wild edibles. send me a PM if you want more info
    Why would you not want to share valuable information in the forum. Sometimes I have found when discussing issues like this, that it is best to share so that all can see and review my information. If it holds up to the scrutiny of this crowd, then I am more comfortable in knowing that it is accurate.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

young survivalist

my bad crash. i would have to dig through several bookselves to find my sources. but i didnt want to post on here bc since he lives where he does i would hate to have him looking for something that doesnt grow where he is.
    some people like Bear Grylls. others like Les Stroud. well you know what. i like Jerimiah Johnson

Blog Entries

Any plant resources.... hmmm well I'd try the forest, they are usually a good resource for plants, so is the neighbors flower bed, as is the farmers field and river banks.
    I tend to find a lot of plant resources in the forest. I just saying...
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    you us them to make flour!
    i was to lazy to do that. i just made white creamy goopy stuff. i think it would make a really good base for a creamy soup.
    Come share my fire.

I have 3 plant resources I use a lot and one 'cookbook'.
    I initially went to school to learn plant sciences.
    The first two are keys we used in taxonomy classes.
    The third is an herbal.
    The fourth is just a general how-to-eat-it book.

Plants in the Vicinity of New York, Gleason, published by the NY Botanical Garden (out of print but available online fairly cheap.) this one is good for most of the northeast and into the Great Lakes area. This has to be one of the easiest keys out there for this particular area. If you decide it's for you, I can post the corrections needed. There are a few key errors that might lead to dead ends.

An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States and Canada, Britton and Brown. this is a 3 volume set and it helps if you start with the book noted above and use this set as a secondary reference. Available from Dover Books. The nomenclature is out of date but the illustrations are very helpful. Again good for most of the northeast down to New Jersey and out to the Great Lakes (and into Canada) but the keying is very difficult.

A Modern Herbal, Grieve. Available from Dover Books. This one is dangerous if you aren't careful but it is a very good old herbal.

Feasting Free on Wild Edibles, Angier. Stackpole Books. Two volume set condensed into one book, formerly Free for the Eating and More Free for the Eating Wild Foods.
    Last edited by LowKey; 01-11-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Blog Entries

Actually I use Tom Brown Jrs Guide to Edible & Medicinal Wild Plants, and the Native American Guide to Edible Plants in North America. Marking the location and State where I found each one.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

+1 on the forager's harvest. that's where i got started.

Quote Originally Posted by smittysurvival View Post
    You should add what you know to wildcrafting.net