Thread: Knife making questions

Default Knife making questions

What are some good basic tools needed to make one? I'am thinking of cutting down, reshaping exsiting knifes and adding new grips (scales?).I know files and other hand tools I already have, but what about something like a small band saw and bench sander?
    On a knife like the old hickory pancho rehandled he said it was rusted and pitted under the old handles. After clean up could you coat the tang area with something before adding the new grips to prevent this in the future?
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Blog Entries

A drill press, and a belt sander. A portable band saw would work also to do that. As for rust prevention, just make sure you remove all rust and grease and clean surface. The epoxy will act as a guard against water and liquids getting under the handles. Make sure glue oozes out all around the handles. Let the epoxy set for thirty minutes to an hour and then clean with goo gone at are where the blade meets the handles. Have fun and watch out it is addicting.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

In addition to what Panch0 said, and angle grinder is real handy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
    A drill press, and a belt sander. A portable band saw would work also to do that. As for rust prevention, just make sure you remove all rust and grease and clean surface. The epoxy will act as a guard against water and liquids getting under the handles. Make sure glue oozes out all around the handles. Let the epoxy set for thirty minutes to an hour and then clean with goo gone at are where the blade meets the handles. Have fun and watch out it is addicting.
    What he said!! If you are reshaping, the steel will already be hardened and your files will do nothing to the steel. A belt sander or grinder will be the only way to shape them. Dont get them to hot or you will loose the temper.