Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple modifications to common items

Default Simple modifications to common items

I'm hoping to start this thread to get ideas of simple modifications that can be done to common items (tools, gear, etc.) to make them even more useful.

What got me thinking about this was seeing a RAT-6 knife with the divot made into the handle for using it with a bow drill as a bearing block. This is something that can be added to most knives easily.

I'm sure there are many other ideas out there like that.

I guess I can start with one of my own. I like to add reflective tape to a lot of my gear. Adding a small piece to each item can aid in finding a dropped item at night merely by casting light on it.

Let's here your ideas!
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Paracord wraps just to have a little extra handy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If you use any type of a stove then you know that spills can clog the burner orifices and either produce a partial flame or no flame. I've taped a piece of braided wire and a small piece of 16 gauge solid wire to the side of my stove container. I use them to clean out the orifices if they get clogged.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

1. kinda like crash said but, replace your boot laces with paracord.

2. of course, the old paracord wrapped knife handle.

3. fire piston plunger for a mini maglight (theres a few videos of how to make this online-pretty cool).

4. super common-but for any newbies out there: cotton balls with petroleum jelly on them for tinder to start fires.

5. hallow out a stock of a rifle for a small survival kit or extra amo.

6. add a pocket to a knife sheath for a small sharpening stone.

7. combine duct tape with coconuts to make a primative helicopter and fly out of the wilderness when youre lost.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladen View Post
    1. kinda like crash said but, replace your boot laces with paracord.

2. of course, the old paracord wrapped knife handle.

3. fire piston plunger for a mini maglight (theres a few videos of how to make this online-pretty cool).

4. super common-but for any newbies out there: cotton balls with petroleum jelly on them for tinder to start fires.

5. hallow out a stock of a rifle for a small survival kit or extra amo.

6. add a pocket to a knife sheath for a small sharpening stone.

7. combine duct tape with coconuts to make a primative helicopter and fly out of the wilderness when youre lost.
    Good thread..........

#3 Mag lite fire piston --Pretty cool, tried making a wooden one no luck.
    Maybe try this when I screw up one of my Mag-lites, but wouldn't ruin one on purpose.
    http://wiki.goingprepared.com/index....te_fire_piston

#5 Most rifle/shotgun stocks have some kind of a hole in them already, been using this for years, great idea.

#6 Great idea, some of the early "Rambo Survival knives" had a pocket, but the knives were crap, and the stones were also, (yeah, yeah, I did buy a couple, they looked cool?)
    As long as a bunch of y'all are making knives and sheaths anyway, good idea.

#7 Duck tape wrapped around your water bottle, comes in handy for a lot of stuff, not sure about Helio, haven't been "That Lost", yet.

I'm a big one for adding my own belts, straps, etc on other stuff, example fanny pack, so as to add items.
    Imitation sinew and a 6" long 3 sided leather needle are ideal for this.

I did like the paracord sling, have one on my Handi Rifle right now (really beginning to like that little thing)
    Maybe I'll think of some other stuff?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Added velcro loops so as to carry an extra barrel for the Handi Rifle

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Converted my bride into a pack mule. Ouch........!!!!!!!
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Duct tape and/or para cord.

I don't know if this qualifies but I changed the shoulder straps and waist belt out on my Alice pack and installed the ones used on the MOLLE pack.

Used a 1" boat plug to plug my bushman bowie after exchanging the rubber expanding plug over to a polyurethane plug. Also added a mini maglight sheath to the bushman sheath. Still working on plugging the inner handle on the bushman to completely seal it off.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

get a smaller canteen and an army issue ****een holder provides lots of room for a small fishing kit and or push fish hooks into the inside and run line thru all of the holes
    All good things are wild and free
    -Henry David Thoreau

Learn from the old and the wise

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Carry a bow saw blade taped to the back of your belt.

I taped a loop of paracord to my flashlight. It gives me something to hang the light up with and allows me to store some duct tape at the same time.

I bored a 1" hole in the top of my hiking stick to allow for tender storage. To seal it off I shaped a balsa wood fishing cork to fit the hole. Wrapppred the stick with 10-20ft. of paracord and 100ft. of Spiderwire, probably use a fishin' cork to seal off the handle on my bushman too...on the blade end of the handle.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

i know some people here like stick matches.
    paint clear fingernail polish on stick matches to waterproof them.

i do feel the need to say that a bic lighter will give you thousands of fires and take up about the same amount of room as ten stick matches or so.

also, if it gets wet, it will dry and work fine.
    when its dead it will still throw off sparks for quite some time.

i carry a couple in a zip lock bag.
    i also have a firesteel in case the lighters do get wet.

if im freezing and need a fire, im using the bic lighter every single time over anything else.

i know im off topic but i hate to think that a persons primitive spirit might get in the way of keeping things simple...and keeping them alive.

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    I bored a 1" hole in the top of my hiking stick to allow for tender storage. To seal it off I shaped a balsa wood fishing cork to fit the hole. Wrapppred the stick with 10-20ft. of paracord and 100ft. of Spiderwire, probably use a fishin' cork to seal off the handle on my bushman too...on the blade end of the handle.
    i love this idea.
    ill be making some changes to my walking stick soon.

id love to see this thread grow and become a sticky.

Bladen - We've had some experiments done on here using that idea. The problem is if the wooden stem gets wet the water will creep into the match head and it won't be any good. A better way is to soak the whole match stick in wax. Then the whole match stick will repel water.

I actually have six of those. Of course, they are MUCH bigger.