Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the best sharpening kit/system for a layman?

I never paid much attention to brand names and I use just stones. Other things just don't last as long. I use oil so stone does not load up and I gat longer life from it. The ones I use are coarse on one side and fine on the other. I use one stroke one direction and one stroke the other. Always whatever your sharpen push blade into stone, this is what prevents a burr building up that is weak and will break off. To get knife sharper I lighten up strokes. If knife is real dull I use more pressure in the begining. It does not take much practice, just proper technique. Its been so long since I first learned to sharpen a knife I don't remember how I learned but I have a tendency to read the instructions when I buy things. I bet you will find this same information on the side of the box your stone comes in.

Guided clamp systems, like Lansky or DMT, work fine; but eventually you might want to do it freehand. Freehand methods are a lot easier to pack along for camping and such.

For decades I just used a 600 and/or 1200 DMT 4 inch pocket diamond hone and a short piece of ceramic for my knives.

Lately I've been testing a Fallkniven DC4 combination diamond/ceramic hone. I will likely just use it from now on, if it's diamond side holds up as well as the DMTs have.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Default Hi Sticky!

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
    Guided clamp systems, like Lansky or DMT, work fine; but eventually you might want to do it freehand. Freehand methods are a lot easier to pack along for camping and such.

For decades I just used a 600 and/or 1200 DMT 4 inch pocket diamond hone and a short piece of ceramic for my knives.

Lately I've been testing a Fallkniven DC4 combination diamond/ceramic hone. I will likely just use it from now on, if it's diamond side holds up as well as the DMTs have.
    Welcome, how about hiking over to the intro section & telling us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...aysprune=&f=14

Thanks!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I have the Spyderco Sharpmaker 204MF. This item runs very very well. I am able to sharpen all knives i need. And i am not really good workman. I bought me also the Diamond Stones to sharpen all knives, also RC of 60 and above.
    Last edited by Rick; 11-25-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Removed Link

I'm not certain if the link was to a site you have an interest in or not so I removed it. My apologies if you have no connection to the site. However, since both you and the site are from Germany and since you buried it in the name of the sharpener it seems a good bet that you do. Posting a link to your site within the body of a post is not allowed. You can add it to your signature if you want.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I am not related to the seller, i am only a good customer.

sorry lot

I sharpen by hand on oil (or water) stones, and finish off with a hard Arkansas stone. In my opinion no blade cuts like an oil-sharpened blade. I also use a Schrade hone steel to touch up the edge in the field. Its a skill I learned when I started out in outdoor stuff at about 13 or so. At first I had a lot of difficulty gettting ANY kind of edge, but practice, practice, practice and the advice and help of old timers helped me perfect the drill.

It takes me several hours to condition (basically re-shape) the edge of a new knife, but once that is done I maintain a sharp edge at all times. This takes about 4-5 minutes per knife, unless there is a problem like a nick or excessive dullness.

One of my rules is: "Touch up your knife every day, whether it needs it or not."
    Last edited by Jergg; 01-01-2012 at 04:05 PM.