Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor/Survival/Prepardness PANTS

Banned

I wish I could find wool bib overals with cargo pockets that cost less than a few hundred dollars.
    Nylon and cotton are too flamable and cotton has the negative bonus of being absorbent and slow drying. Western wilderness EMTs call synthetic materials "shrink wrap."

Ouch! Well, that made me rethink my nylon pants. Thanks for pointing out something I hadn't considered. I have some wool pants but find them heavy. I can't imagine how much they'd weigh wet. I'll have to look into those that aflineman posted. They looked pretty good.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

5.11 pants are great. I wear them almost daily when not in court. They are good for the office or the woods and very comfortable. Sort of the "Swiss Army Knife" of pants. You can dress them up a bit or dress them down. They DO NOT hold up as long as BDU pants but alot longer than nearly anything else. If you carry a bunch of stuff in the cargo pockets daily, the bottom of the pocket at the pleet will start to get a hole from my tobacco can. Also the edge of the pant leg at the bottom will start to fray with alot of use from rubbing on my Rocky boots. It takes a good while to happen but it does happen. Like I said I have a bunch of them and wear mine almost daily though. They do in fact dry much faster than mil spec BDU pants. I'll continue to wear them until they stop making them. Stay safe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierarcher View Post
    Western wilderness EMTs call synthetic materials "shrink wrap."
    On further reflection I remembered that the EMTs said that about polypro longjohns. But nylon is indeed very flamable. Nomex is indeed fire resistant. Trouble is that just make coveralls, boots, gloves and hats. I've never seen pants made from it, except firefighter pants and those are very heavy.
    Last edited by hoosierarcher; 11-25-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nativedude View Post
    COTTON KILLS!!!!!
    Not in the Florida summer it doesn't!!!!!!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

COTTON KILLS!!!!!

It may be the MANLY thing to wear cotton, but how MANLY you gonna be DEAD???!!!

Personally, I don't wear cotton. I wear wool. I have lightweight wool shorts for the summer and light and heavyweight wool pants for the winter. Yes I said "wool shorts!" I made them from some wool cargo pants I picked up at the surplus store in Washington. Had them for ten+ years now. They wear like iron and show no signs of wear or wearing out. Unlike cotton jeans or the duck cotton shorts/pants.

And the legs that I cut off the pants I made into leggings and arm gauntlets for wearing in the winter. They work G-R-E-A-T!!!!!

One of the major down sides to nylon (nylon blends) is that they will burn and/or melt and can, and have melted to peoples skin, causing severe burns. Remember, nylon is a petroleum based product!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Crashdive123 wrote:
    "Not in the Florida summer it doesn't!!!!!!"
    No Crash it doesn't, but I was directing that statement to all the "NORTHERNERS" that state they wear cotton "NO MATTER WHAT!"
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

I know - just giving you a hard time. I never wore cotton when I was dealing with the cold.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

A pair of bermuda shorts black socks and sandals

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    glockcop,

Thanks for the info. I'm wearing mine over Rock Eliminators. Do you know what your 5.11s are made of? The 5.11 comes in many different fabrics. I "think" that most BDU pants are cotton ripstop. The 5.11s I have are the TDU which is 65 poly 35% cotton ripstop. It is difficult to invision much anything being tougher tan the TDU ripstop. Many thanks. I'm only guessing as I only have the TDU 5.11s - which I bought because their read-up made them sound the most durable.
    Mine are 65 / 35 blend also. Don't worry. They hold up great. I am just hard on pants. Stay safe, Brother.

HK - You can wear Bermuda shorts on the Introduction page, too.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by sjj
    certainly my pantyhose are
    Well...uh.....you.....I mean......

Banned

They do make light weight wool fabrics that are suitable for warmer temps short of the dog days of Summer.

I looked at 511s and preferred Tru-Spec 24/7 pants.

Staying cool in South Florida's humidity is a special task. LOL

I bought these because the had great pocket management. I carry my wallet and iPhone in one pocket. Got a job gun in the pocket above that. I carry a second phone (work) in the left cargo and a digital camera in the same pocket. Keys and a SOG PEII in the left pocket. I also carry a waved Spyderco Endura in my right back pocket.

I would like the pants for work cause they dry quick. The ONLY problem is that they have some kinda coating for stains that can make you sweat on a still day.

We hunt in knee deep water in 98 degree temps. I usually wear BDU, have some really airy camos and then Bug Tamers. I wear the bug tamers with nothing but my boxers. But, bug tamers ain't got the pockets.

I meant to link the pants.

http://www.botachtactical.com/t247.html

Also the Waved Endura will not fit the knife pockets. I can slide the SOG in on my weak side. But, I prefer the index of a EDC so I carry pens., pencils and markers in the knife pockets.

Just thought I would toss my two cents in. Personally, i don't use cotton at all when in the backcountry from bad experiences that are easily remedied by using different material...sure I use Carhartt when I was working in excavation or carpentry, or logging. It is rugged, even though I have had some blow out on me. The difference is I was always near a vehicle or building in case of emergency. I prefer wool base layers as opposed to synthetic(having used both). However when i am in the backcountry in winter, I use my mountaineering gear which is some sort of synthetic blends. (Outdoor Research, Eddie Bauer First Ascent) For fall and spring I love to use my Rail Riders Weatherpants. If you are not aware of Railriders I would give them a look. Also, Cragghoppers are similar to rail riders, and they are based out of the UK, I think. Carhartt now makes synthetic versions of their clothing line, as well. My carhartt extreme winter bibs are all synthetic. (cordura..) They are really warm. I live in upstate NY, a very moist environment. Ice storms, etc... so often times you are wet. I can't afford to wear cotton in this climate. However I know plenty of people who wear jeans and a t-shirt to hike in the summer.. and I have as well..I have many times myself. But, I prefer not to , because I sweat a lot.. and cotton is not comfortable when soak, enter chafing.

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.....
    Maybe head on over to the intro section, as you are referring to your location and other details that have no frame of reference....
    Thanks.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Cabellas has really good sales fairly frequently.
    I bought a $60 pair if guide pants for $15, plus a litle shipping, earlier this year.
    Always good to check if you're looking for something.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

very good point jfeather! also the various hiking outdoor stores have sales... Like EMS which is a local store for us REI, sierra trading post has insane sales all the time, when i lived in Cody, WY i loved going to that store.. the only problem was things go fast , so what they have in stock can vary..

My next set of ourdoor pants are some dark green carpenter pants. Ive seen Dickies at WalMart and Gravel Gear at Northern Tool.

Andrew