Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: WANTED: The "PERFECT" Survival Vest.....????

Quote Originally Posted by pocomoonskyeyes View Post
    Well, for $100 this has 22 pockets and a measurement guide. They also have free ground shipping through Monday.
    http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/N...vel_Vest.shtml
    Best I've been able to find. Looks like a normal vest but with all the pockets you need.

Poco I got my scottevest a couple of days ago and I LUV IT!!! I swear, this is what I've been looking for, like forEVER!!!
    It's unobtrusive, streamlined, cool, with a sht-load of useful pockets that no one would guess existed.
    The company has some wonderful items, unfortunately very few (except for his vest) for girls.
    Thanks buddy, what a find!

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    This thread is 88 long and I'd like to get to the answer to the outstanding question, "What is the PERFECT survival vest?" I've been toyed and teased enough and just need THE answer. I don't want any if - ands - or butts - just the exact make, model, and my size of course.
    Poco,

Thank you. That was an real answer - provided you have tried and personally recomend this vest? I gave a suggestion last week for the Duluth Force Nine vest based on extremely good reviews. I then purchased the vest, tried it out, and found it not suitable for my needs. Are you walk'en the walk or talk'en the talk
    Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Poco I got my scottevest a couple of days ago and I LUV IT!!! I swear, this is what I've been looking for, like forEVER!!!
    It's unobtrusive, streamlined, cool, with a sht-load of useful pockets that no one would guess existed.
    The company has some wonderful items, unfortunately very few (except for his vest) for girls.
    Thanks buddy, what a find!
    Well there ya' go. Seems like Scott E Vest has another happy customer!

IF I had the money it IS what I would buy too.

Many thanks folks. Can anyone tell me what the fit is like? I have to decide between an XL or XXL. How is the fit around the waist? Many thanks again.
    The fit is snug, the vest runs 1/2 size to full size smaller.
    I always wear XS and in this case I had to exchange it for S.
    The fabric doesn't stretch and once you fill the pockets it'll get tighter.
    So if you wear XL, I'd say go for XXL.

BENESSE,

I appeciate the information on fit. Would it be appropriate to ask if you got the "womens" vest or the "mens" vest. I ask because I would think the cut of the fit would be considerably different.
    I got the women's and I checked their sizing chart provided just to make sure I was ordering the right size. The XS had the right measurements.
    However I also got a vest for my husband (sz.M-haven't given it to him yet
    it's for his birthday in early Dec.) and it seem to have the same cut but proportionately larger.
    Before you order though, call the customer service and see what they think.
    (Worst case, you can always exchange it like I did.)

BENESSE,

I appeciate the information on fit. Would it be appropriate to ask if you got the "womens" vest or the "mens" vest. I ask because I would think the cut of the fit would be considerably different.
    I'll be getting my larger sized vest (S) tomorrow or Sat at latest and will let you know how that fits.

I believe it is an excellent travel vest and I'm looking at it for such. However, my initial impression is that it may not be the "survival" vest I'm really looking. Butt - as we all know there is no perfect vest for everything - and I'm guessing the Scott vest may be one of the best for travel.
    Your impression is right sjj, it's not really a survival vest if you plan on stuffing most of your pockets with bulkier items.
    But it is a best travel vest I've come across. Not just because it has all those compartments and pockets but because it fits well and you don't look like a pack mule. It works equally well with a dress shirt or something more rugged.
    Price aside, you can't go wrong with it.

sjj,
    I got my (S) Scottievest and it fits perfectly--much better than XS.
    So if in doubt, go a size larger.
    The fit is still trim but comfortable, definitely not meant to be worn over many bulky layers while fully loaded and zipped up.
    The arm opening is not very deep (which I like) and the fabric has no give anywhere. (wish it did)

I still like it a lot!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Birthday present: Filson Tin Vest "UPLAND Model"........30% off at Mt. Views Sports, regular $125.00 SALE: $87.50 I thought the bright orange was butt'ugly, so I turned it inside out and went for a walk on the Back Road. Then I thought if I get run over once or twice, I'll wish I had the bright orange side was out.

At least it fits, it hangs more right than wrong. It will last way longer than me, but that is getting to be the case with everything. I think I can have the game pouch sewn so as to be bi-level, with four back pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Birthday present: Filson Tin Vest "UPLAND Model"........30% off at Mt. Views Sports, regular $125.00 SALE: $87.50 I thought the bright orange was butt'ugly, so I turned it inside out and went for a walk on the Back Road. Then I thought if I get run over once or twice, I'll wish I had the bright orange side was out.

At least it fits, it hangs more right than wrong. It will last way longer than me, but that is getting to be the case with everything. I think I can have the game pouch sewn so as to be bi-level, with four back pockets.
    The princess and the pea!

Tin Cloth Upland Hunting Vest with Blaze Orange. A highly functional vest offered in heavyweight Tin Cloth. Perhaps a new Avatar sporting the vest is in order?
    That's a beautiful vest!
    Very English gentleman farmer like.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Trial & Error.......I have repacked & repacked. I gave up on packets of the same purpose. And because stuff was settling to the bottom of the huge pockets, I unpacked & lay-ed everything out then selected one rigid item to serve as the backbone of each packet, then building vertical cylindrical packets about 1 1/4" in dia. by 8" long. This appears to be working "More'Goooder".

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    The pockets on "Tactical" Para-military vests stick out too far, are the wrong shape, and don't close securely. Over-all I like the Filson Model #32 "Original hunting vest" as far as number of pockets, secure flaps, pocket shape, pocket location. however it is just plain uncomfortable, it hangs funny, as if it was designed for really fat hunters, with massive bellies. Well I guess they know their market. I am willing to pay up to $250.00 for the perfect vest. Ideas....???

Here you go!
    http://store.shopreadyamerica.com/surviveallvest.html

And I've looked at this (I am part of the local CERT)
    http://www.worldprep.com/cert_vest.html

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Icemancometh View Post
    I re-read the OP and I didn't miss a thing. Just because it is called "tactical" doesn't mean it has to filled with such. Pockets on the 5.11 are not thick. The mag pouches as I called them are no thicker than a sandwich.
    Iceman: you were correct, and I was wrong. The 5.11 has become my most used vest this summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sourdough; 10-12-2010 at 06:33 AM.

But what a great way to be wrong, eh? Learning something new or finding a new, usable piece of gear that you previously thought unworkable is a great thing.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

YEP....................So True.