Thread: Firemaking with firesteel revisited

Default Firemaking with firesteel revisited

I was out elk hunting with a friend today (no elk but, still a great time) and when we were returning to our vehicle he volunteered to walk up and get the truck, if I would wait with all our gear - he didn't want to carry his pack uphill anymore. I agreed and so he dropped his gear (except for his rifle) and took off. After a while, I got bored waiting so; just for the fun of it, I decided to try lighting a fire using my firesteel and only the natural tinder available for foraging in the area. I started out with a bunch of dried grasses and quickly found that they were too coarse and too thick and would not readily take the spark. A second try at a different type of grass proved equally difficult. About that time my buddy arrived with the truck so; I discontinued my efforts.

Now, had I really wanted or needed a fire I would have had no trouble because I always take pre-prepared tinder in my pack and there was plenty of dry wood around. However, this initial failure at finding readily-available, easy-to-use tinder got me to wondering what people consider the best natural tinder(s) for their area.

So my question is this; assuming you have a firesteel and striker, but no pre-prepared tinder (i.e. no parafin soaked cotton, no dryer lint, no char cloth, etc. etc. etc.), what would be your favorite go-to options for foraging tinder from the environment?

A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

I've used both true and false tinder fungus as well as strips of cedar bark. Cedar is a pretty prevalent tree in this area so it's pretty easy to find. A dead standing cedar has really great bark that can be shredded into fibers for fire starting.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by oly View Post
    Good post Oly!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

In my area, ceder bark and broom straw are the best bets.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I normally use shaved pitchwood, like shown in the video (is is all around the area). Cattail is good. There is also a green lichen/moss stuff that grows in some areas here. That stuff catches a spark quick, but also goes up REAL fast. If I can find cedar bark, I use that also. There are a few around, but only in certain areas.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

My favorites: birch, fine shavings of pine, and good ol' vitamin G. (gas)

I’ve always had good luck with Yellow Birch bark. I take the fine wispy stuff and rub it between my palms to turn it into a dry pulp.

Try plucking some fiber off your wool socks...don't need much, just enough to catch the spark.

Good point, AZ. Or lint in your pocket (or navel, I guess). You can also scrape some fuzz from wool or cotton (only in summer please) pants.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

...or you could just use a "Bic" firestarter. They aren't as finicky, about what tinder you use.

Just sayin'.....not tryin' to start anything. (Pardon the pun.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

The other day I used some dead ceadar twigs (with dead, dry needles still attached) and I was blown away at how fast it caught flame.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

I go out routinely and have used man made and natural tinder alot. With the grass it wont light if you just pull it out of the ground and lay it down. you have to break it up a little til it looks like a birds nest before it will light. its like that with most natural tinders, cedar bark too. Goats beard and witches hair are also really good. wool doesnt work very well as a tinder it doesnt catch very well. if you take a flat piece of wood and make scraping, especially with picth wood, that works great for a tinder. i have lit all of these and more with just my metal match (fire steel) and a knife. just look for something hair like and fibrous.

What's wrong with the little round knob on the front? That usually works for me.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
    I was out elk hunting with a friend today (no elk but, still a great time) and when we were returning to our vehicle he volunteered to walk up and get the truck, if I would wait with all our gear - he didn't want to carry his pack uphill anymore. I agreed and so he dropped his gear (except for his rifle) and took off. After a while, I got bored waiting so; just for the fun of it, I decided to try lighting a fire using my firesteel and only the natural tinder available for foraging in the area. I started out with a bunch of dried grasses and quickly found that they were too coarse and too thick and would not readily take the spark. A second try at a different type of grass proved equally difficult. About that time my buddy arrived with the truck so; I discontinued my efforts.

Now, had I really wanted or needed a fire I would have had no trouble because I always take pre-prepared tinder in my pack and there was plenty of dry wood around. However, this initial failure at finding readily-available, easy-to-use tinder got me to wondering what people consider the best natural tinder(s) for their area.

So my question is this; assuming you have a firesteel and striker, but no pre-prepared tinder (i.e. no parafin soaked cotton, no dryer lint, no char cloth, etc. etc. etc.), what would be your favorite go-to options for foraging tinder from the environment?
    pounding and crushing course tinder can reduce it to a fine tinder that will take sparks.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Blog Entries

pichwood ("tervas"), birch bark ("tuohi"), the lichen that grows from spruce and pine trees and looks a bit like beard ("naava").
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Those are the best. Usually I use birch bark as it is most easily available.
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

sjj - EEEeeeeeewwwwww. Do you know how bad burning hair smells. No thanks. I'd rather freeze to death.