Thread: garden trowel

Default garden trowel

does any one keep a trowel in thier bob? I found a nice one at wally world hard black plastic $1.00 and the handle is hlow a good place to put a small fishing kit . The plug in the handle is orange so I made a camo sleeve to fit over the handle . works good for digging worms or fire pit.
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Only use the one you mentioned when I roam with a metal detector. For my use it is cheap. Never did much digging for a firepit so I don't normally carry one.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

well it works real nice and dont take up much room in my pack. I like to fish with hand lines and set lines so I can dig worms any were I thing looks like a good spot to fish. And it works good for making the dakota fire pit.
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

I just have the plastic one for lightweight hiking in my BOB. I was looking at a metal folding one at wallyworld. Not sure if I want to replace it with the metal one. The plastic seems pretty sturdy.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

I was going to get a metal one when I bought this one alot cheaper and does the trick .I have used it alot .

I use a stick for digging when considering what to put in my BOB. It is lighter, and cheaper.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

You bet. A trowel is the berries for everything from a fire pit to a cat hole.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like my e-tool folding shovel, complete with saw teeth and straight blade for hacking. when I'm just out walking, a stick will suffice for anything I need to dig, and it helps me walk too.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Yep - small trowel comes in handy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I gave away my plastic trowel when I replaced it with a "U-Digit" metal folding trowel.
    Where I was spending my time had some serious rocky soil, and it kind of ate up the plastic.
    I've had the metal one for 15+ years and it is worth the small weight differential in my book.
    It's a solid little sucker when deployed.
    If I'm traveling in more luxury than by foot, or for an extended time, I would grab my e-tool.
    Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Yep - small trowel comes in handy.
    I just saw and purchased a small garden trowel sold locally for $1.49..it is lightweight, does have a hollow handle with a plug, and the blade is scoop-shaped with both metric and SAE markkings for depth. While it is Chinese-made, it is manufactured for Bond Manufacturing Company in Califoria. It looks to be a worthwhile tool for digging sanitation holes and other chores.

I have not had a chance to use this item yet, but I gave it to my wife for gardening. That is the ultimate "torture test" of any tool.

While the trowel seems good and should pass the Sierra Club reqirements for digging a small pit for sanitation purposes, I am astonished that it can still be purchased without seeing a lot of overheated advertising. Perhaps I need to approach the manufacturer about producing a Faiaoga signature series ("field tested in the Pacific islands by a Peace Corps veteran) with both a sharpened chopping edge and a sawtooth edge, a siren and a GPS inside the hollow handle, the Morse Code alphabet engraved on the handle and other embellishments. The $1.49 price can then become $149.00 and people can walk around with the Ultimate Wilderness Survival Trowel hanging from their belts. I know I am making but I sometimes fall for the inflated advertising myself.
    Faiaoga