Thread: 8 strand Paracord

Default 8 strand Paracord

Has anyone tried the new 8 strand paracord?
    Last edited by sjj; 05-12-2010 at 12:39 AM.

I guess the question becomes what are you using it for? Based on the specs I've read you'll get between 50 and 100 additional pounds on the extra strand. So you hold 600 lbs. Is that a needed ability? If not, then why pay more? If a 600 or 650 lb rating is needed then you might consider rope instead.

Technically, 8 strand is still 550 cord.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I whole heatedly concur. I love the stuff. But a 550 lb rating is pretty high and will handle most tasks. It will even marginally work if someone wants to string me up by my thumbs.

I just wanted to point out the difference in poundage vs. cost.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

there actually 14 strands in what people call 7 strand 550 paracord just the 7 strings are 2 little strings together and each little string holds about 17.5lbs and the outer sheath hold about 300lbs
    and the 7 string is prolly lighter than the 8 string but doesnt matter if your carrying little amounts of it.
    Last edited by survivalpro#4; 04-20-2010 at 08:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Yo, dude...

Quote Originally Posted by survivalpro#4 View Post
    there actually 14 strands in what people call 7 strand 550 paracord just the 7 strings are 2 little strings together and each little string holds about 17.5lbs and the outer sheath hold about 300lbs
    and the 7 string is prolly lighter than the 8 string but doesnt matter if your carrying little amounts of it.
    Still waitin' on that intro!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin